1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

These aren't mutually exclusive propositions

I'm not a qualified ethnosociologist but given that Rangers and Celtic are generally draped in Irish Culture from Shamrocks to Orange shirts to folk tunes it's probably possible to link this collective insecurity down to the sense of not quite belonging that can happen even in Nth generation immigrant communities

Aberdeen might be having a shit season at the moment but at least they know they're Aberdonians. 

Is that supposed to be a comfort?

4 hours ago, Gorgie greatness said:

Brenda still defiantly im right end of!

looking forward to the Neil Lennonsque melt doon when told different 

SFA rules "you can't call match officials incompetent". Brendan "the officials today were incompetent". His defence will be interesting. 

One week later and they're not letting this go.

ALISTAIR JOHNSTON has called for freeze-frame images in VAR checks to be binned.

His Celtic side were victims of a controversial still photo when winger Yang Hyun-jun was sent off against Hearts last week for a high boot on Alex Cochrane.

And Johnston - who was involved in the another highly questionable VAR penalty call that cost the Hoops in a stormy Tynecastle defeat - says the snapshots of incidents can make anything look like a red card offence.

The Canadian defender said: "If there wasn't VAR in Scotland we'd actually be better off in some instances.

"As a defender, whenever you freeze-frame anything, whenever you go into slow motion, EVERY tackle can look like a red-card foul.

"It takes a lot of the context of a situation out of it.

"My solution to it would be to make it as simple as possible, and say you're not allowed to make slow-motion images of any tackle, you have to watch it in real time.

"Because I find whenever you put a tackle into slo-mo everything looks far worse than it really is.

That was my biggest gripe with the red card to Yang last weekend.

"The ref saw it in live time and didn't really think there was any intent.

"Of course, his foot was high, and I agree that when you put your foot up high you run the risk.

"But everyone knew there was no intention there. Yang didn't really catch him at all.

"But then when you slow it down and freeze it, things can get taken out of context.

"On the pitch the ref thought it was a yellow, everyone off the pitch thought it was a yellow, so move on.

"But then you go to VAR and from there anything can happen.

Johnston's aerial collision with teammate Tomoki Iwata led to the firsthalf handball penalty that saw Hearts take the lead, in their shock 2-0 triumph last weekend.

He added: "I honestly don't know what happened there!

"It felt like three of us went up for the ball, it hit everything, and one of the things it was judged to hit was an arm. The ref told me it wasn't on me, it was on Tomo - but he didn't know the penalty was called on him until half-time.

"That just shows it was a freak incident.

Not a single one of their players was asking for the penalty

Johnston, 25, has played in the Champions League and the 2022 World Cup for Canada, and says the rules are interpreted differently the higher level you play at

He said: "We've been in the Champions League, and games are refereed differently to the Scottish league.

"I prefer the Scottish way, because it allows there to be a bit more contact. That's part of the game, and as a defender you have to prefer letting guys play a bit.

"At the World Cup I thought decisions were made at a quicker rate. Maybe at that level they have a better understanding of it.