Ditching the Car

5 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

As others have said, the biggest problem will be the kids. I recommend getting rid of them along with the car.

My wife and I have decided we don't want kids.

In the morning we're going to tell them.

12 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Scottish government are trying to influence folk away from personal car use. City centers are more pedestrianised, focus on cycling infrastructure/awareness and reduction of speed limits to 20mph.

Assuming you live in Scotland, it'll over years become less worthwhile owning a car. The car will move lower down the food chain on Scotland's roads, e.g. Making cars take longer, more inefficient routes will be planned into road layouts. Cyclists and pedestrians will be a higher priority, making them more important than car users.

Similar to the method with smoking fags. Cars aren't being banned, just disincentivized over the long term. More with the next generation or two in mind, rather than for our benefit (e.g. the cycling network is still a bit of a Frankenstein). 

I agree Scotland is becoming an increasingly shite place to live. 

18 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Scottish government are trying to influence folk away from personal car use. City centers are more pedestrianised, focus on cycling infrastructure/awareness and reduction of speed limits to 20mph.

Assuming you live in Scotland, it'll over years become less worthwhile owning a car. The car will move lower down the food chain on Scotland's roads, e.g. Making cars take longer, more inefficient routes will be planned into road layouts. Cyclists and pedestrians will be a higher priority, making them more important than car users.

Similar to the method with smoking fags. Cars aren't being banned, just disincentivized over the long term. More with the next generation or two in mind, rather than for our benefit (e.g. the cycling network is still a bit of a Frankenstein). 

Problem will be theyll make no meaningful effort to improve our woeful public transport system while doing this,so the poorer will be increasingly ghettoised&the rich will be able to carry on as before,albeit more expensively with more detours.

And you just know a huge proportion of what is put aside for public transport will be swallowed up by consultancy fees&beaurocracy

We did the opposite - first 8 years where I am we managed fine with no car but my wife and son started to ramp up the pressure to get one so we did.  Been about 9 months now and It's definitely more convenient having one but not quite a game-changer.  It's as much the perception of needing one as actually needing one, at least for us. 

1 hour ago, highlandmac said:

Problem will be theyll make no meaningful effort to improve our woeful public transport system while doing this,so the poorer will be increasingly ghettoised&the rich will be able to carry on as before,albeit more expensively with more detours.

And you just know a huge proportion of what is put aside for public transport will be swallowed up by consultancy fees&beaurocracy

By definition the poor don't own cars, so they benefit the most as it becomes safer and easier to walk and cycle, and buses are less delayed by cars.

7 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

On this issue that's obviously a matter of opinion and most people disagree with you. Spend time in a place like Utrecht and tell me it's not massively better. Loads of European cities have gone this way and none of them regret it. https://www.sustrans.org.uk/our-blog/news/2022/may/scotland-s-biggest-ever-survey-of-walking-and-cycling-in-our-cities-shows-need-for-more-active-travel-investment 

12 minutes ago, GordonS said:

On this issue that's obviously a matter of opinion and most people disagree with you. Spend time in a place like Utrecht and tell me it's not massively better. Loads of European cities have gone this way and none of them regret it. https://www.sustrans.org.uk/our-blog/news/2022/may/scotland-s-biggest-ever-survey-of-walking-and-cycling-in-our-cities-shows-need-for-more-active-travel-investment 

That's hardly a surprising conclusion from sustran which has a vested interest is seeing investment increase.

I note that they have their usual attention to detail - 

The biggest ever assessment of walking, wheeling and cycling in cities and towns

The survey results come from Scotland’s seven cities: Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling, Inverness, Aberdeen, Dundee, and Perth, the largest number of Scottish cities ever featured in this study.

Not a town to be seen in the list and yet from this they conclude that

"58% of people in Scotland walk at least five days a week."

I'll carry out a survey in the villages around me and I can guarantee that 58% will become <10%.  Using areas with decent public transport to draw a conclusion for the entirety of Scotland is misleading at best and downright dishonest at worst.

Just now, strichener said:

That's hardly a surprising conclusion from sustran which has a vested interest is seeing investment increase.

It's not from Sustrans, it's from polling by a reputable firm. There's any number of polls that show exactly the same thing. There's really no way of arguing this, people want more investment for walking and cycling in cities and more restrictions on cars.

I note that they have their usual attention to detail - 

Not a town to be seen in the list and yet from this they conclude that

"58% of people in Scotland walk at least five days a week."

I'll carry out a survey in the villages around me and I can guarantee that 58% will become <10%.  Using areas with decent public transport to draw a conclusion for the entirety of Scotland is misleading at best and downright dishonest at worst.

You're deliberately reading it out of context. Fine, the language in the one sentence you pick out is loose but the article could not be more clear they're talking about the seven cities and it's misleading to present it otherwise.

I have paid off my car after having it on pcp for 3 years and then a loan to pay off the balance and it hasn’t caused me any trouble since I first got it in 2018 expect for tyres being changed. 

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

It's not from Sustrans, it's from polling by a reputable firm. There's any number of polls that show exactly the same thing. There's really no way of arguing this, people want more investment for walking and cycling in cities and more restrictions on cars.

You're deliberately reading it out of context. Fine, the language in the one sentence you pick out is loose but the article could not be more clear they're talking about the seven cities and it's misleading to present it otherwise.

"Walking and wheeling should be the most accessible and desirable form of transport.

"It’s of huge importance to people, especially during the current cost of living crisis and the climate emergency.

"The evidence is clear – the people of Scotland want the option to walk, wheel and cycle to where they need to get to.

"the people of Scotland"??

It isn't me that's misleading here.  The article is not about Scottish attitudes, it is representative of some of the areas with the best public transport infrastructure.

As city dwellers are so keen to walk and cycle, how about we remove the public transport subsidies in these areas and allocate it to the out of city settlements that can't get to their work by starting time using public transport.

Edited by strichener

When we moved one of the things we agreed on was going somewhere that has shops and public transport nearby and not to one of the multiple housing estates in the arse end of places where everything is miles away so you have to drive.  

I still have a car which work gives me an allowance for, but costs, particularly insurance is eyewatering this year. If it wasn't for my job, I'd join a car club and be budgeting how many taxis I'd get for the cost of running the car. 

11 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If you own a car, it's getting worse/will get worse. The reason is to try and encourage you to adopt alternative forms of transport. Whether your life will improve if you don't have a car is debatable, but things will definitely get worse for people who like to own cars over the coming decades - at least those who live in cities, maybe towns as well in my opinion.

It's not that hard to see why the government would be interested in doing this, from a society point of view car use is probably extreme/excessive and with environmental and health pressure maybe also playing a part it's a no brainer. To bring it back on point a lot of people will be 'ditching their cars' sooner or later. 

Edited by 2426255

On 03/03/2024 at 12:17, GordonS said:

If there's a car club in your area, you'll save a fortune by ditching the car and using one of theirs whenever you need it. 

The two big car clubs in Scotland are:

Enterprise: https://www.enterprisecarclub.co.uk/gb/en/home.html They're mostly in Edinburgh and in Glasgow city centre but they have cars all over the UK. They also do vans, which is handy if you use them. You can get a car for about £7.30 an hour, daily rate £30 right now because of a special offer, all in. The membership fee is £2 per month. I think it's a steal compared with owning a car.

Co-wheels: https://www.co-wheels.org.uk/find-car They're in more locations and in handy places like near train stations. They're cheaper per hour but charge a mileage rate and they're more per day. They have more proper small EVs, which are half the price per mile of the petrol cars.

If they had car club vehicles in Linlithgow we'd ditch our car the next time it's due for tax & MOT, but sadly they're not here yet. I've used both car clubs when we were without a car for a few months, picking them up in Edinburgh or Falkirk, and also in combination with public transport for football games in places like Aberdeenshire and Girvan. Never had a bad experience.

I think car clubs are the future - how many of us just keep a car because of the absence of alternatives for trips we only make every couple of weeks or less?

Great to hear you had a good experience of using this service. My concern with car/van rental services is that unless you are extremely diligent and photo/video vehicles before and after hires is that they often try to charge you for damage.

Just now, Molotov said:

Great to hear you had a good experience of using this service. My concern with car/van rental services is that unless you are extremely diligent and photo/video vehicles before and after hires is that they often try to charge you for damage.

I scraped the alloys on an enterprise car club hire fairly deeply and heard nothing back. It's not like a normal hire where there's a spotty youth in a shiny suit doing a checklist. You just leave it parked. Would deffo record anything wrong before i started driving though. 

27 minutes ago, strichener said:

"the people of Scotland"??

It isn't me that's misleading here.  The article is not about Scottish attitudes, it is representative of some of the areas with the best public transport infrastructure.

As city dwellers are so keen to walk and cycle, how about we remove the public transport subsidies in these areas and allocate it to the out of city settlements that can't get to their work by starting time using public transport.

Rural transport in the North is abysmal, used to be slightly better when the post vans were available. I've a friend in Drumnadrochit, 14 miles from Inverness and a sizeable settlement full of commuters, who gave up his car. Now to go to many Clach away games he has to hitchhike into Inverness before the first bus, and usually pay £45 for a taxi home, the last bus on a Saturday leaving around 6pm. He's in his sixties btw.

6 hours ago, highlandmac said:

Yeah this, it would actually benefit us all if most people kept using their car so that Gov have to make it attractive rather than the normal punish approach.