Ditching the Car

8 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Public transport anywhere north of Aberdeen is utterly dreadful and painfully expensive. 

I don't drive and head up from Aberdeen to Cullen a few times a year. If I'm going on my own I normally get a lift from my parents out to Newmachar from Bridge of Don (10-15 mins in the car) then jump on the 35 bus from there. Total journey time is around 2hr 30 from leaving BoD to arrival in Cullen. 

Folks are on holiday at the moment and I headed up last week. About 30 mins on the First bus from BoD to town then 2hr 45 on the 35, probably over 3hr 45 from door to door allowing for making sure I was on time. Total cost of journey was £31.40 (£3.05 x2 for First and £25.30 return to Cullen) 

The same journey in the car would've taken around an hour each way and according to a fuel calculator, have cost about £13 in total, there and back. 

Was £6 for a single from Buckie to Cullen as well while up there. 

I know how bad the bus links are but I haven't checked but will a banff and buchan dayrider not cover you to Cullen ? They are 11 quid 

32 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

I know how bad the bus links are but I haven't checked but will a banff and buchan dayrider not cover you to Cullen ? They are 11 quid 

It covers Cullen but doesn't come I'm as far as Aberdeen. 

9 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Public transport anywhere north of Aberdeen is utterly dreadful and painfully expensive. 

Just move to the central belt. Problem solved.

22 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Just move to the central belt. Problem solved.

I do have to laugh when I see folk moaning about their central belt train being cancelled and the horror of having to wait 15 minutes for the next one. 

A blizzard once prevented me getting into Aberdeen on that 35 bus. Got as far as Fyvie and could get no further. Ended up on the bus back to Elgin and then on the train from there to Aberdeen. Parents couldn't even get to Fyvie from Aberdeen to pick me up. Left Cullen at 10am, got to Aberdeen just after 7pm. 

13 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I do have to laugh when I see folk moaning about their central belt train being cancelled and the horror of having to wait 15 minutes for the next one. 

A blizzard once prevented me getting into Aberdeen on that 35 bus. Got as far as Fyvie and could get no further. Ended up on the bus back to Elgin and then on the train from there to Aberdeen. Parents couldn't even get to Fyvie from Aberdeen to pick me up. Left Cullen at 10am, got to Aberdeen just after 7pm. 

I hate to say it but I have no clue about where these places are. I know they are up north, but that's it. They could be next to each other, they could be miles and miles apart.

17 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Left Cullen at 10am, got to Aberdeen just after 7pm. 

Imagine spending nine hours on public transport and after all that finding yourself in Aber-fucking-deen.

It truly is grim up north.

10 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I don't drive and head up from Aberdeen to Cullen a few times a year. If I'm going on my own I normally get a lift from my parents out to Newmachar from Bridge of Don (10-15 mins in the car) then jump on the 35 bus from there. Total journey time is around 2hr 30 from leaving BoD to arrival in Cullen. 

Folks are on holiday at the moment and I headed up last week. About 30 mins on the First bus from BoD to town then 2hr 45 on the 35, probably over 3hr 45 from door to door allowing for making sure I was on time. Total cost of journey was £31.40 (£3.05 x2 for First and £25.30 return to Cullen) 

The same journey in the car would've taken around an hour each way and according to a fuel calculator, have cost about £13 in total, there and back. 

Was £6 for a single from Buckie to Cullen as well while up there. 

Not taking away from your overall point but you would need to factor in a lot more costs for the car than just fuel to make a true comparison.

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Not taking away from your overall point but you would need to factor in a lot more costs for the car than just fuel to make a true comparison.

You do, but part of the motivator to use privately owned vehicles for any particular journey is that the majority of costs are spent the moment you decide to have the vehicle in the first place 

8 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

You do, but part of the motivator to use privately owned vehicles for any particular journey is that the majority of costs are spent the moment you decide to have the vehicle in the first place 

Partially agree (especially for that strange portion of the population who insist on buying a new car) but fixing/replacing general wear and tear on a car isn't cheap. I'm not sure how much difference it makes to a premium but insurance companies seem to be awful keen to get you to estimate your annual mileage as well.

Accept the premise though that once you have a car, there is a motivation to use it as often as possible to cover the cost.  

Edited by Alert Mongoose

On 04/03/2024 at 08:32, GordonS said:

By definition the poor don't own cars, so they benefit the most as it becomes safer and easier to walk and cycle, and buses are less delayed by cars.

If they improve the public transport infrastructure,otherwise,no

23 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

It covers Cullen but doesn't come I'm as far as Aberdeen. 

Bluebird explorer Is £17.50 that does so might save you few quid 

I had 2 cars, a pickup truck and a Honda Jazz sport.

I got made redundant, in 2019 and sold my pickup. Within 5 month the Honda blew up. So I was only with motorbike. It was ok for a few years.

3 year ago, I went halves on a pickup with my brother in law.

It sits at his house, he services it, halves again. Whenever I need I can use my keys.

Alway have it at halve dial on the desial.  

All good. No complains.  No need for both families to have a car each. We all own motorbikes.