Euro 2025

Lurkst

2 hours ago, ekok said:

Watching game, OMG what a poor advert for women's football.  Are we really pumping in £ to this dross. 

Comments not in any way by comparison to the men's game. There is almost nothing positive to say about what I am watching.  For example lots of our players look as they have just got out of bed and are still half asleep 😴 

We might never be up to the standard of top class teams, who are actually worth watching.  No excuse for such a pathetic performance.  Wake up.

The players are playing the system they're told to play. How many did we ever have in front of the ball? Three in the middle of the box for corners. Constantly transitioning with only one in front of the ball. Scotland look flat all the time because PML makes them play that way. Most of them are hugely more dynamic when they play for their clubs. This is about the manager.

Did anyone complain it was a "poor advert" for men's football when we beat San Marino 2-0 away in one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Scotland team, after Kazakhstan hammered us 3-0?

And we sure as fk are not "pumping in £" to women's football. 

24 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

My suspicions about why a team that used to be exciting and inspiring have gone to pot are twofold:

1 Top players going to big money leagues and having their heads turned.

2 Pedro is a rubbish manager.

Number 2, definitely.

I don't know why playing for better clubs would make any of them worse for the national side. Apart from the manager, our main problems are ACLs for Weir and Watson, other injuries for Kirsty Hansen and Martha Thomas and Kim Little retiring about 10 years early.

I think their exits south have broken the link they had with grassroots girls.

You're right about Little (who retired to focus on her, er, big money club...) but we also miss Jen Beattie. Whom Pedro tended not to pick.

I used to enjoy watching the women’s national team 3 or 4 years ago . Since Pedro arrived we have gone into total decline .

Oh for a bit of the early long ball game instead of faffing about pretending we know how to trap a ball .

I lasted an excruciating half then turned on to Flog it , much more entertaining (and I don’t even like Flog it).

Think you are being a bit hard on Kim Little .

Arsenal’s Kim Little retired from Scotland duty 2 months after ex Arsenal coach Pedro M L got the Scotland gig . I suspect Kim knew what the next 3 years under that management would bring .

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

Did anyone complain it was a "poor advert" for men's football when we beat San Marino 2-0 away in one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Scotland team, after Kazakhstan hammered us 3-0?

And we sure as fk are not "pumping in £" to women's football. 

More recently I left Hampden early because of the dross I was watching when men got gubbed by Northern Ireland , that was a poor advert for men's football,  made my eyes bleed watching it, same as tonight,  the issue is the standard, whether women's or men's team.

Maybe " pumping in  £ " an exaggeration,  but recent financial support for the women's game has been significant.  Great idea, just wish the results showed us going forward when clearly the opposite is self evident. 

Agree 100% , just read his post match comments,  he is clearly a buffoon. Absolutely clinging on to a barely deserved point as a positive, imposter.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

The players are playing the system they're told to play. How many did we ever have in front of the ball? Three in the middle of the box for corners. Constantly transitioning with only one in front of the ball. Scotland look flat all the time because PML makes them play that way. Most of them are hugely more dynamic when they play for their clubs. This is about the manager.

The players have been hopeless for several years across three different managers, I think it some point it probably is the players a bit.

13 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The players have been hopeless for several years across three different managers, I think it some point it probably is the players a bit.

I assume you're including the interim manager in that, and not going all the way back to 2005?

Under Shelley Kerr we were one of only 9 UEFA nations to qualify for the World Cup and we played pretty well for 2 games and 75 minutes of the third. The collapse in Paris rightly sours everything else but we did play well across the tournament. 

Against England in Sunderland last year you could see the quality we've got on the pitch. 2-0 down they stopped playing the manager's tactics and went at England, and were really unlucky not to get something from the game.

Yes, I'm including the interim manager who was involved for the best part of a year. That World Cup was nearly 6 years ago, since then it has been nothing but dreadful and as much as Pedro is clearly a fraud the players definitely have to take a long look at themselves in terms of some of their performances. A lot of talk and very little action from many of them.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Yes, I'm including the interim manager who was involved for the best part of a year. That World Cup was nearly 6 years ago, since then it has been nothing but dreadful and as much as Pedro is clearly a fraud the players definitely have to take a long look at themselves in terms of some of their performances. A lot of talk and very little action from many of them.

Agree fully. They're a massively underachieving squad who genuinely don't look like they care. If they are hugely unhappy with PML, they could do what many players before them have done and disregard his tactics and play their own way to win matches.

I used to think Kerr was the biggest issue but actually I think the players have proven to be so. 

The SFA don't care either judging by giving PML a longer contract.

I know, I know. I've booked a ticket for Tuesday Night. I usually work Tuesdays till 8 but with Easter hols I'm free; as an SSC member the ticket is free and if I go by bus that's free too, as an over-60 git. Just the world's most expensive pie etc to cough up for.

Who knows: maybe this is the  night Pedroball will start to work...

16 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

I know, I know. I've booked a ticket for Tuesday Night. I usually work Tuesdays till 8 but with Easter hols I'm free; as an SSC member the ticket is free and if I go by bus that's free too, as an over-60 git. Just the world's most expensive pie etc to cough up for.

Who knows: maybe this is the  night Pedroball will start to work...

I asked the Mrs if she fancied it and was met with a resounding NO. SO we're going to see Godzilla v King King at the cinema instead.

Honestly, if we can't beat Slovakia at home it's time to give up completely.

1 hour ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

I asked the Mrs if she fancied it and was met with a resounding NO. SO we're going to see Godzilla v King King at the cinema instead.

Honestly, if we can't beat Slovakia at home it's time to give up completely.

I'm not a betting man but I recommend a double on Slovakia and Godzilla.

To be brutally honest, it's been downhill since Anna Signeul left.

Shelley Kerr carried the momentum early on, until the Argentina game from then on it collapsed under her. PML has been poor, but the Scottish FA's decision to offer him an extension is truly baffling.

The players, however, have to take a lot of criticism. There's no doubt there's quality in the squad, but they clearly fail to show it in a Scotland shirt, and the performance against England was one of the worst performances by any Scotland team, and it genuinely looked like they were trying to chuck the game.

I hope they do turn it round, starting tonight, but at a time when the SWPL, and Women's Football more generally is going from strength to strength it's absolutely unforgivable that SWNT are in total freefall.