Happy St. Patrick's Day

2 hours ago, The Golden God said:

The amount of people I’ve seen today with Union Jacks and England flags in their name absolutely furious at people celebrating St Patrick’s Day is incredible.

I'm in Glasgow today and noticed a few more union flags than usual which I thought might just be coincidence but then I saw some stoater walking down the street playing marching band music aloud on his phone. He was on his tod as well :lol: 

3 hours ago, The Golden God said:

The amount of people I’ve seen today with Union Jacks and England flags in their name absolutely furious at people celebrating St Patrick’s Day is incredible. 

This is probably the best part of the entire day.

The great Irish writer (and drunk) Flann O'Brien created a phrase that perfectly describes the modern St Patrick's Day: "A virulent eruption of Paddyism." At least the plain people of Ireland get a Bank Holiday to recover, what do the other celebrants do?

4 hours ago, The Golden God said:

The amount of people I’ve seen today with Union Jacks and England flags in their name absolutely furious at people celebrating St Patrick’s Day is incredible. Like someone said above, non religious people celebrate Christmas and Easter, it’s an excuse to get drunk, can’t turn that down. 

Here in the Yooessuvvay, many of the same people who have no problem dressing in Kelly Green, exaggerating their tenuous ancestral links to the Emerald Isle and drinking shitey beer dyed green every year, also get livid at the very idea of anyone celebrating Cinco de Mayo (Mexico's victory over the Second French Empire at the Battle of Puebla in 1862). "That's not our culture!"

It takes a special breed of miseryguts to get angry at people enjoying themselves.

4 hours ago, The Golden God said:

The amount of people I’ve seen today with Union Jacks and England flags in their name absolutely furious at people celebrating St Patrick’s Day is incredible. Like someone said above, non religious people celebrate Christmas and Easter, it’s an excuse to get drunk, can’t turn that down. 

I think non-religious people celebrating Easter and Christmas are weirdos, too. And who needs "an excuse" to get drunk? Nobody's ever asked me to explain my reasoning for getting rat-arsed.

20 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I think non-religious people celebrating Easter and Christmas are weirdos, too. And who needs "an excuse" to get drunk? Nobody's ever asked me to explain my reasoning for getting rat-arsed.

Strongly disagree with the first part. Both events are just part of our culture and are essentially family events. Christmas is more about Slade than about Jesus. Although, I can't mind the last time I did anything for Easter other than go to the fitba or go away a weekend with the missus.

Strongly agree with the second part.

1 hour ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

The great Irish writer (and drunk) Flann O'Brien created a phrase that perfectly describes the modern St Patrick's Day: "A virulent eruption of Paddyism." At least the plain people of Ireland get a Bank Holiday to recover, what do the other celebrants do?

Chicago does it the Saturday before the 17th. The weather being unseasonably pleasant yesterday means it’ll likely have been an even bigger shitshow than usual. 

My half Irish 18 month old daughter puked over her St Patrick's Day sleepsuit last night and clarted her "I love Ireland" top today in food before 9am.

Meanwhile she has never done either to her Scotland stuff. I am more silently proud of her than I should be.

Petty stuff I know but a small moral victory for me over my Irish wife and in laws.