Will you ever see your club win a cup?

By which I mean Scottish Cup or League Cup. League titles, Challenge Cup and regional cups don't count for the purposes of this thread.

My club has won two Scottish Cups, 1961 and 1968. We were in the final in 1965, 2004 and 2007. We have never won the League Cup and were in the final in 1949, 1991 and 2006.

In my opinion we'll never win the Scottish or League Cup in this century at least (although if Sevco and Celtic f**k off to another league I think we'd have a chance, but no more than multiple other clubs).

Edited by DA Baracus

I'd suggest any of the full-time clubs have a realistic shot at winning one of those cups, given a favourable draw and/or a good run of form. I'd have thought fans of most could point to a near miss in recent memory. It might not happen, but it's certainly not out of the question, unlike finishing above Celtgers in the league, which will absolutely never happen without a sugar daddy/more catastrophic liquidation events.

Who has the worst cup record of the full-timers? There must be a club who've never even reached a semi-final or looked even remotely like lifting a cup.

I've been at all three cup finals where The Caley have won. The 03-04 and 17-18 Challenge Cups and and the 14-15 Scottish Cup. I was also drunk at all three and it was glorious. 

45 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'd suggest any of the full-time clubs have a realistic shot at winning one of those cups, given a favourable draw and/or a good run of form. I'd have thought fans of most could point to a near miss in recent memory. It might not happen, but it's certainly not out of the question, unlike finishing above Celtgers in the league, which will absolutely never happen without a sugar daddy/more catastrophic liquidation events.

Who has the worst cup record of the full-timers? There must be a club who've never even reached a semi-final or looked even remotely like lifting a cup.

Of the current 24 full-time clubs: 11 have won a Scottish/League cup within last 20yrs... 5 more have made finals (Motherwell, Falkirk, Dunfermline, QotS, Livingston)... Dundee, Partick, Raith, Morton, Ayr, Airdrie, Queen's Park, Hamilton haven't (though Dundee, Raith, Morton and Ayr have each made SF once).

EDIT: if we widen it to include Challenge Cup within last 20yrs then Falkirk, QotS, Livingston, Dundee, Raith, Airdrie, Hamilton also register.

That leaves 6 clubs whose polish has dried rock hard:

Motherwell          won Scottish Cup in 1990-91
Partick                    won League Cup in 1971-72
Dunfermline        won Scottish Cup in 1967-68     (they have won Fife Cup within last 20yrs - in 2017-18)
Morton                   won Scottish Cup in 1921-22     (they have won Renfrewshire Cup within last 20yrs - in 2012-13)
Queen's Park      won Scottish Cup in 1892-93

Ayr                            have never won a national cup

Edited by HibeeJibee

4 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Of the current 24 full-time clubs: 11 have won a national cup in last 20yrs... 5 more have made finals (Motherwell, Falkirk, Dunfermline, QotS, Livingston)... Dundee, Partick, Raith, Morton, Ayr, Airdrie, Queen's Park, Hamilton haven't (though Dundee, Raith, Morton and Ayr have each made SF once).

Eleven winners in the past twenty years is pretty impressive, considering there's always been two clubs winning the majority by exponentially outspending everyone else during that time.

Many of us will also remember Original Recipe Airdrie and Raith's Nineties heroics, although the Partick fans who celebrated their cup win are getting on a bit now. I guess it's not fair to include Queen's Park in that list, considering they've only been full-time for a few years!

If you assume a fan will have about seventy years to see (and remember) their team win a cup (on average), that would take us back to 1954 and likely encompass most sides having a win or close call. Even modern-day diddies like East Fife and Clyde have wins within that timescale. Does rather make you wonder which currently successful clubs will be total also-rans by 2094 though.

Whether it happens or not, surely the belief is there for all fans of their respective clubs otherwise what would be the point in supporting a team? Unless some billionaire starts treating a Scottish club with all of their money, the OF will always win the league so it's only the cups left. And without belief that you'll one day be top of the pile when it comes to the LC or more importantly, the SC, what's the point in supporting a full time club? Surely we should all believe and have that ambition regardless of how unlikely it might be!

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Ayr                            have never won a national cup

Shame Monty Python didn't use Ayr for their out-of-date "trick question" instead of Coventry.

ff4c8102-c5ff-412a-af4c-ed0de78724c8_tex

f11694d1-6855-4262-b361-8be8ff764fa4_tex

Seen County win four:

3 x challenge cups

1 x league cup

Almost got fired for skiving off work for the first Challenge Cup.

29 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I would like to see Dundee win the Scottish Cup.

I would neither go - nor care - if Dundee won the League Cup.

Pants on fire!

I'll never not be a raging mess that a jobber teuchter outfit formed in 1995 have won a Scottish Cup and we haven't (not in my lifetime anyhow). It does paradoxically give me a sense of hope that we might one day become well run enough (aux fermieres de Perth) or flukey enough (said teuchter ahistorical jobbers) to get there.

@DA Baracus never said the Tennent's Sixes don't count, so I'm having that.