Motherwell v St. Mirren

This a game that until recently I'd have been quite confident of winning and this is taking into account not knowing which St. Mirren team was going to turn up from one match to the next. However, now that I don't know which St. Mirren team is going to turn up from one half to the next, I'm somewhat less confident.

On 25/03/2024 at 18:28, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Only found out the other day that Ryan Strain's granda played for us. Another in the St Mirrenwell column 

Before, surprise surprise, signing for us.

Gerry Baker is one of the biggest St. Mirren legends of the 50s/60s. Scored the clinching 3rd goal in our 1959 SC win.

I don't mind getting players off Motherwell who can do a decent turn for us - it's a far cry from the days of Andy Dow, Jim Gardner, Stuart Carswell and Kevin Twaddle.

In fact, in my formative years, the only players I recall getting from Motherwell who actually did us a turn were the excellent (but often injured) Ian Ross and the good (but always injured) Jamie McGowan.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Before, surprise surprise, signing for us.

Gerry Baker is one of the biggest St. Mirren legends of the 50s/60s. Scored the clinching 3rd goal in our 1959 SC win.

I don't mind getting players off Motherwell who can do a decent turn for us - it's a far cry from the days of Andy Dow, Jim Gardner, Stuart Carswell and Kevin Twaddle.

In fact, in my formative years, the only players I recall getting from Motherwell who actually did us a turn were the excellent (but often injured) Ian Ross and the good (but always injured) Jamie McGowan.

Ian Ross was a superb player. We really did sign some real injury prone players from well. Fraser Wishart etc

On 25/03/2024 at 18:28, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Only found out the other day that Ryan Strain's granda played for us. Another in the St Mirrenwell column 

Holy shit, hadn't realised we'd signed him from you. #classic

Edit: sorry, posted this without scrolling down and hadn't seen @djchapsticks had covered this off.

Screenshot_20240328-081921.png

Edited by Coventry Saint

Have just read on the BBC website that this Motherwell v St Mirren thread is setting new records for forum activity anywhere on the planet, and is in danger of breaking the internet.

Box office.

Edited by pozbaird

The wannabe psychologist in me would love to speak to Ian Ross, he looked a brilliant prospect when he came into side - not only doing the normal midfield stuff but being really dynamic in getting up the pitch by running past players. Bit by bit that got lost from his game and he ended up at left back I think. Did he just not hit his early potential? Lose confidence? Get the risky part coached out of him? It's particularly curious as Marc Fitzpatrick followed almost the exact same path a decade later.

Anyway, two teams where it's safe to say you've no idea what you'll get on Saturday. I feel confident saying we'll win or we'll lose or it might be a draw.

6 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

The wannabe psychologist in me would love to speak to Ian Ross, he looked a brilliant prospect when he came into side - not only doing the normal midfield stuff but being really dynamic in getting up the pitch by running past players. Bit by bit that got lost from his game and he ended up at left back I think. Did he just not hit his early potential? Lose confidence? Get the risky part coached out of him? It's particularly curious as Marc Fitzpatrick followed almost the exact same path a decade later.

Anyway, two teams where it's safe to say you've no idea what you'll get on Saturday. I feel confident saying we'll win or we'll lose or it might be a draw.

Ian Ross was such an important part of our promotion, playing LWB in Hendrie’s 3-4-3. I’d imagine his assists stats were high double figures that season.

from memory, he hardly kicked a ball the following season in the top league. Was it some sort of abdominal injury? From there he drifted away and end up down the leagues. 

Hypothetical, but if he’d been fit I’m sure we’d have performed better that season.

2 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Ian Ross was such an important part of our promotion, playing LWB in Hendrie’s 3-4-3. I’d imagine his assists stats were high double figures that season.

from memory, he hardly kicked a ball the following season in the top league. Was it some sort of abdominal injury? From there he drifted away and end up down the leagues. 

Hypothetical, but if he’d been fit I’m sure we’d have performed better that season.

Ross on one side and Nicolson on the other firing in crosses for Yardley and Lavety was a joy to watch.

He hardly played the following year and missed a decent chunk of the following season too. He was tremendous when he came back and I think think Partick Thistle fans were desperately hoping they'd sign him after he got promoted. He eventually ended up there but can't remember if they'd been relegated by that point - think he was injured with them a lot too sadly.

4 hours ago, Kempes said:

Wonder if this is an omen. Mandron off to Man City next? Can imagine the scenes in Motherwell 😂

yer Imagination is certainly vivid. 

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Ross on one side and Nicolson on the other firing in crosses for Yardley and Lavety was a joy to watch.

He hardly played the following year and missed a decent chunk of the following season too. He was tremendous when he came back and I think think Partick Thistle fans were desperately hoping they'd sign him after he got promoted. He eventually ended up there but can't remember if they'd been relegated by that point - think he was injured with them a lot too sadly.

Pretty sure Ross was actually signed to play central though, I'm positive that's where he started the season (and played well) but was moved to LWB when Kerr got Tokely'd. He was excellent that season.

Anyone any idea how many tickets we’ve sold for this one?

I’d imagine a fair few of those who turned up at Killie will have been sickened and the fact that it’s Easter weekend won’t help either.

I’m coming up to Scotland on Saturday but sadly land too late to get to the game. Will be at the Hearts game next week though, hoping to keep my unbeaten run going this season. 

I don't remember too much of Ian Ross in a Motherwell shirt as I was only a kid at the time and I spent my time pretty much swooning over Tommy Coyne (m'lord!).

Other than his 25-yard screamer against Celtic on Jamie Dolan Day.  It was something like that anyway, wasn't it?  😉

Edited by Desp

10 hours ago, Kempes said:

Wonder if this is an omen. Mandron off to Man City next? Can imagine the scenes in Motherwell 😂

If they end up in the national league because of all their financial shenanigans its possible i suppose.