Rangers or whatever they are called v Hibernian

4 minutes ago, AndyM said:

XXXXL replica shirts. 

They’re longer and suit my tall frame. 

5 minutes ago, AndyM said:

elastic waisted Sports Direct Trackie bottoms

JD Sports or death before a Mike Ashley outlet, come on. 

18 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Bit of a difference between beaks in suits and horrendously overweight males in their 50s in elastic waisted Sports Direct Trackie bottoms and XXXXL replica shirts. 

Have we met?

24 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

‘Build my gallows isn’t sectarian’ is a nice wee comfort blanket for the enablers. 

Well, it isn’t. I was responding to a specific point made about that song. I never just randomly came out with it to excuse any other songs that may be.

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

Well, it isn’t. I was responding to a specific point made about that song. I never just randomly came out with it to excuse any other songs that may be.

No neutral or positive comments about Rangers fans, no commentary on the football unless it’s to criticise the referee for awarding fouls to Rangers players.  

1 hour ago, AJF said:

No but the implication is that songs fine because it doesn’t have the legally defined nasty words in it. The song about Northern Ireland and fighting the IRA is totally separate to the sectarianism that is embedded in the club. 

44 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

No but the implication is that songs fine because it doesn’t have the legally defined nasty words in it. The song about Northern Ireland and fighting the IRA is totally separate to the sectarianism that is embedded in the club. 

No, all I said was that it’s not a sectarian song.

Hibs fans unfurling a tricolour with the Pope on it yesterday probably feeds the issue just as much as that song does, but I wouldn’t claim that it was sectarian either.

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Hibs fans unfurling a tricolour with the Pope on it yesterday probably feeds the issue just as much as that song does, but I wouldn’t claim that it was sectarian either.

Hibs fans are wind up merchants in non shock The fact that a gesture like that would have the less emotionally balanced Ibrox attenders in a froth means job done. 

if any Rangers fan believes the Hibs fans doing it are either Irish or frequent mass attendees in church  then I’ve got some magic beans in my pocket to sell them for £1000. 

2 hours ago, AJF said:

Right so you agree that whether or not there is overt sectarianism in the songs is pretty irrelevant. 

24 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Hibs fans are wind up merchants in non shock The fact that a gesture like that would have the less emotionally balanced Ibrox attenders in a froth means job done. 

if any Rangers fan believes the Hibs fans doing it are either Irish or frequent mass attendees in church  then I’ve got some magic beans in my pocket to sell them for £1000. 

I’m not sure that argument holds up that well considering the vast majority of Rangers fans that engage in certain songs likely don’t go to church or practice religion either.

21 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Right so you agree that whether or not there is overt sectarianism in the songs is pretty irrelevant. 

Well no. It was simply a statement that the song in question really can’t be considered sectarian in the same regard as a song like The Billy Boys. There needs to be some offence directed in the lyrics for it to be offensive surely?

48 minutes ago, AJF said:

I’m not sure that argument holds up that well considering the vast majority of Rangers fans that engage in certain songs likely don’t go to church or practice religion either.

Well no. It was simply a statement that the song in question really can’t be considered sectarian in the same regard as a song like The Billy Boys. There needs to be some offence directed in the lyrics for it to be offensive surely?

Comfort blanket 

1 hour ago, AndyM said:

Do you think the Rangers fans that sing the unacceptable songs are all at church on a Sunday? 

50 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think you're conflating sectarian and offensive.

Sectarian just means favouring one side of a community that's divided along religious lines. 

It's not offensive or illegal to have pictures of the pope or the queen or to sing songs about how great your side is. It is part of the wider cultural issue that two clubs have put at the forefront of their brand identity.  I include hibs' "hilarious" Wums in that. 

7 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Do you think the Rangers fans that sing the unacceptable songs are all at church on a Sunday? 

Maybe not the 90 minute bigots and maybe not in church, but it wouldn't surprise me if the sad b*****ds done so outside the ground.  In fact I would say it was absolutely plausible. 

54 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I think you're conflating sectarian and offensive.

Sectarian just means favouring one side of a community that's divided along religious lines. 

It's not offensive or illegal to have pictures of the pope or the queen or to sing songs about how great your side is. It is part of the wider cultural issue that two clubs have put at the forefront of their brand identity.  I include hibs' "hilarious" Wums in that. 

My whole point though, is that Build My Gallows doesn’t contain any reference to religion.

It’s a song in reference to the Irish wars of Independence.

ETA: appreciate it is a while back now given it’s Strathclyde police, but some context.

Strathclyde Police gave assurances to Rangers fans that, as a rule, they would not be arrested if they sang Loyalist anthems The Sash and Build My Gallows as they contained no religious references.

Edited by AJF

13 minutes ago, AJF said:

My whole point though, is that Build My Gallows doesn’t contain any reference to religion.

ETA: appreciate it is a while back now given it’s Strathclyde police, but some context.

How sad is this entire post (not aimed at you @AJF) and situation that the police would need to give such guidance.

As for the Hibs fan claiming an Irish flag with the pope on it is “just banter” you are just as bad as the Ibrox enablers.

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

I don't know the song to be fair, it's not really part of my cultural universe. I'm sure everyone singing it was lamenting the senseless waste of life on both sides. 

5 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

How sad is this entire post (not aimed at you @AJF) and situation that the police would need to give such guidance.

As for the Hibs fan claiming an Irish flag with the pope on it is “just banter” you are just as bad as the Ibrox enablers.

Yep, agreed it’s rather depressing that it got to a point where songs were categorised in this way.

I am a Loyal Ulster man
They say this day that I must hang
Cause I fought the IRA
They say that I must pay
Well they say this day that I must hang.

So build my gallows build them high
That I might see before I die
The Antrim glen and the hills of County Down
And I'll see again the lights of home

I do enjoy going to watch my football team and singing... er, whatever this is.

34 minutes ago, AJF said:

f**k's it got to do with football?  Bunch of sad b*****ds, just like your green and white brothers.