P&B’s Greatest ever Scottish Sportsman

Done a search and don’t think this has been done before.
After some mild debate in the Scotland match thread last night around who the greatest Scottish sportsman ever is, thought I’d open it up to the masses.

Submit your list of 10 by either posting in the thread or DMing me. If the thread dies on its arse I won’t bother counting anything.

Even if you don’t think they are sports, people from snooker, darts, golf etc can be included. 

1st place on your list will get 10 points, 2nd place gets 9 points….you get the gist. Even though it’s a laugh and just for fun, don’t all vote for Yogi Hughes pls :lol: No other rules I can think of, will add to this post if there’s any additions.
Edit - women are allowed to be included in your lists.

Once I’ve got an idea of how many entries there are I’ll work out how many are going to be included in the final list. 

Will keep the voting open for a couple weeks.

As always, play nice fellas

Spoiler

For results (if we get that far) 

Edited by Central Belt Caley

11 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Done a search and don’t think this has been done before.
After some mild debate in the Scotland match thread last night around who the greatest Scottish sportsman ever is, thought I’d open it up to the masses.

Submit your list of 10 by either posting in the thread or DMing me. If the thread dies on its arse I won’t bother counting anything.

Even if you don’t think they are sports, people from snooker, darts, golf etc can be included. 

1st place on your list will get 10 points, 2nd place gets 9 points….you get the gist. Even though it’s a laugh and just for fun, don’t all vote for Yogi Hughes pls :lol: No other rules I can think of, will add to this post if there’s any additions.

Once I’ve got an idea of how many entries there are I’ll work out how many are going to be included in the final list. 

Will keep the voting open for a couple weeks.

As always, play nice fellas

Hide contents

For results (if we get that far) 

Bit sexist 

If he'd beaten Fangio, Schumacher, Senna and whoever else are regarded as the best ever, maybe.

Murray won three Grand Slams, a World Championship, two gold medals and a Davis Cup largely on his own while competing with Federer, Djokovic and Nadal.

And tennis isn't a shite sport. 😀

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

9 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

If he'd beaten Fangio, Schumacher, Senna and whoever else are regarded as the best ever, maybe.

That tree in Hockenheim stopped that ever happening. The correct answer is of course Denis Law 

Andy Murray

Chris Hoy

Allan Wells

Ken Buchanan

Kenny Dalglish

Jackie Stewart

Stephen Hendry

Bill Shankly

Alex Ferguson

Jock Stein

If those who did play their sport, but made their name as managers count. Haven’t posted these in my chosen order, bar the first and second places. IMHO he added, for safety. Just bubbling under the top 10, Craig Whyte, for services to fitba’.

Edited by pozbaird

32 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Murray won three Grand Slams, a World Championship, two gold medals and a Davis Cup largely on his own while competing with Federer, Djokovic and Nadal.

And tennis isn't a shite sport. 😀

Senna considered Clark to be the best and visited his old school.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/when-ayrton-senna-visted-musselburgh-to-pay-tribute-to-jim-clark-307314

But not before Senna lifted a further world champion title to bring his total to three, one above his hero Clark. “He was the best of the best,” Senna once said about Clark. “He was my boyhood hero.” Senna, shortly before his death, commissioned a painting showing a grid with the greatest drivers in history on it. He instructed the artist to place Clark in pole position.

Clark won 2 Formula 1 titles, the Indy 500, The British Saloon Car Championship, and three Tasman series. 

His F1 record (in percentage terms) for most laps led in a season was only beaten last year by Max Verstappen. He won 25 out of 72 races he entered. The reason he didn't win as many titles as later drivers is because he was killed.

Murray held his own against the very best in his field. Clark was the very best in his. 

1. Denis Law

2. Tom Stoltman

3. Chris Hoy

4. Jackie Stewart

5. Stephen Hendry

6. Liz McColgan

7. Old Tom Morris

8. Colin McCrae

9. Andy Murray 

10. Alex Ferguson 

Edited by johnnydun

7 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

1. Denis Law

2. Tom Stoltman

3. Chris Hoy

4. Jackie Stewart

5. Stephen Hendry

6. Liz McColgan

7. Old Tom Morris

8. Colin McCrae

9. Jackie Stewart

10. Andy Murray

You have Jackie Stewart twice.

I've always admired Jackie Stewart for having enormous courage and strength of his convictions, but in terms of driving ability Jim Clark was miles ahead of him.

Edited by Boo Khaki

14 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

In all seriousness, I've played many sports but the most infuriating is snooker. I'd have Stephen Hendry at the top of my list.

Yeah, snooker is infuriating, but golf really, really is. I’ll keep going until I get it right. I never will though. Can put together 16 good holes, but the other 2? Fcuk. Stupid, stupid, stupid sport.