P&B’s Greatest ever Scottish Sportsman

I've excluded anyone who was successful in minority sports (so that excludes Stephen Hendry, John Higgins and drivers - just don't think their achievements justify inclusion versus world class success in what I consider genuine world sports). I've only gone for one female, Liz McColgan, so I feel I may have overlooked some others due to my relative lack of knowledge - Rose Reilly should be nowhere near the list IMO.

Alan Wells

Denis Law

Andy Murray

Robert Millar

David Wilkie

Ken Buchanan

Liz McColgan

Peter Nicol

Kenny Dalglish

Sandy Lyle

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

Why am I the only person to recognise Tom Stoltman in their top 10? Not a gripe just curious.

Crowned the World's strongest man two years running and Britain's strongest man for 3 years running.

That's got to count for something?

I used to know his sister-in-law. She was somewhat attractive.

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Second post; thread done.

It's not even close.

Shite it is. I give you Willie Wood, king of the bowling green. Feckin’ perma-injured Andy. 😜

Edited by pozbaird

5 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Why am I the only person to recognise Tom Stoltman in their top 10? Not a gripe just curious.

Crowned the World's strongest man two years running and Britain's strongest man for 3 years running.

That's got to count for something?

I've no intention of being judgemental on this, but the levels of anabolic steroids and other PEDs that someone has to take to become even close to competitive in WSM are absolutely staggering, and require great care (and probably a degree of luck) to avoid severe health problems. Even at cycle dosages that could never lead to that level of strongman competition, rates of complications and fatalities are very sobering, and dangerous usage (levels and management) goes down much further than anything not involved in strength sports would imagine.

When I was a junior, someone from my athletics club with a background in strength training died in his late 20s, with causes that indicated steroid usage. He was ranked around 20th in Scotland. He wouldn't have been the highest-ranked steroid user in that list, to put it mildly.

It's simply impossible to compete in WSM without quite dangerous levels of PEDs. It's still a great sporting achievement, requiring tremendous dedication; but I wouldn't be quick to admire it from a health/role model perspective.

Maybe others feel the same way, and that's why Tom isn't getting more love in this thread.

I could cite other specific cases and historic data in support of this, but I am definitely not trying to make the case that people taking PEDs are "bad"; I'm simply recording the facts that WSM required very high PED usage, and that such usage is dangerous.

Last week, I was at an international competition for athletes of a certain age*. That included throwers from the 70s and 80s, and there was some discussion of maximum "natty" strength levels. The consensus from people who have been there is that WSM starts a couple of strata above where natty ends.

But that in no way undermines the efforts and dedication that are required on top of the PEDs. It's still a tremendous achievement.

* Where I was a team mate of Dwain Chambers - whose levels when he was banned for PEDs would have been at least an order of magnitude below WSM competitors.

10 hours ago, coprolite said:

Driving a car is not a sport. 

Playing snooker, throwing darts or rolling bowls are not sports. 

Outside of football

1 Ken buchannan

2 Gavin Hastings 

3 Chris Hoy

4 Andy Murray 

5 David Wilkie

6 Liz Lynch /McColgan

7 That curling wifie that looks like Colin Hendry 

8 bored now

9 we're not actually very good at sport are we? 

10 John Hughes

Hastings is wild. He wouldn't even be in the top 3 of the 1990 squad behind Sole, Armstrong and Calder. He's also a bottle merchant who cost us a world cup final.

Calder obviously being the top from that lot having captained a winning lions tour. He was no Andy Irvine though.

One thing is for sure, a single comment from the Scotland v Norn Iron commentator has given P&B an entertaining thread to help see us through a pish international break.

Now, where’s the Eve Muirhead photies? I just want to look at her eyes. If there’s a thread about the most gorgeous eyes in Scottish sport, it’ll be a short thread. 😍

2A0F8F74-60B3-4219-98B8-C23852F76DC7.jpeg

Edited by pozbaird

13 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

One thing is for sure, a single comment from the Scotland v Norn Iron commentator has given P&B an entertaining thread to help see us through a pish international break.

Now, where’s the Eve Muirhead photies? I just want to look at her eyes. If there’s a thread about the most gorgeous eyes in Scottish sport, it’ll be a short thread. 😍

She's got Dickie Davies eyes

27 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I always thought her team mate Anna Ssloan had the best eyes.

nintchdbpict000069250816.jpg