P&B’s Greatest ever Scottish Sportsman

7 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Hastings is wild. He wouldn't even be in the top 3 of the 1990 squad behind Sole, Armstrong and Calder. He's also a bottle merchant who cost us a world cup final.

Calder obviously being the top from that lot having captained a winning lions tour. He was no Andy Irvine though.

I'd have been in my early teens and he scored loads of points and sent some pacific islander 30 st prop flying by running into him. He was ace. Liked Calder too and was amazed by how massive he was- patted him on the back during the once routine end of match pitch invasions. 

Tacit approval by omission of Yogi in tenth here. 

14 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

How do folk arrive at Ken Buchanan ahead of Josh Taylor? Taylor was undisputed world champion in the equal fewest amount of fights of all time. Ken Buchanan was about 7 or 8 fights away from fighting for a British title at the same stage of his career.

I went on name recognition and the fact Taylor's career is still going.

When it's done Taylor will be Scotlands best boxer undoubtedly.

16 hours ago, printer said:

I've excluded anyone who was successful in minority sports (so that excludes Stephen Hendry, John Higgins and drivers - just don't think their achievements justify inclusion versus world class success in what I consider genuine world sports). I've only gone for one female, Liz McColgan, so I feel I may have overlooked some others due to my relative lack of knowledge - Rose Reilly should be nowhere near the list IMO.

Alan Wells

Denis Law

Andy Murray

Robert Millar

David Wilkie

Ken Buchanan

Liz McColgan

Peter Nicol

Kenny Dalglish

Sandy Lyle

Peter Nicol - Squash is surely a minority sport?

36 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Peter Nicol - Squash is surely a minority sport?

Yeah, I thought about that, but my gut feel is there are probably enough people playing it worldwide for his achievements to qualify. It's not an exact science, as neither is the whole debate, which is why anyone coming up with "Andy Murray, close thread" or versions of that is either a bit ignorant or looking for reassurance.

The one on my list who definitely should be excluded on the minority sport criterion is Chris Hoy. The number of people who have seriously tried his sport is relatively tiny. That's not to detract from his achievements. I know he will have been as dedicated and intense in his training and preparation as anyone else being mooted. Not to mention mental aspects.

18 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Why am I the only person to recognise Tom Stoltman in their top 10? Not a gripe just curious.

Crowned the World's strongest man two years running and Britain's strongest man for 3 years running.

That's got to count for something?

Amazing strongman, but a ***, so goes to the bottom of the pile on general principles.

41 minutes ago, mathematics said:

p.s. I’ve met Arnie. He isn’t tall.

Apparently he was 6' 2" back in his bodybuilding days. He'll have lost an inch or two since then, but still above average.

The big man there is 6' 8", so it strikes me as really impressive that he's such a beefcake. Most of the guys I've met who are taller than me have been more on the skinny side, like they've been stretched out. He weighs almost thirty stones  :mellow:

16 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

If you want to start bringing up people who were born here and moved when they were young, there's an obvious choice: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Gardiner_(ice_hockey)

I am biased as I am distantly related to him but Allan Wells has to be up there - a Scotsman being the best sprinter in the world?  Has to rank highly.  Andy Murray probably shades it with his achievements, over a prolonged period as well.

There's a very cool documentary about Wells Olympic preparation

When you consider the facilities and money in sport now, watching him train in public parks is crazy.

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

Apparently he was 6' 2" back in his bodybuilding days. He'll have lost an inch or two since then, but still above average.

The big man there is 6' 8", so it strikes me as really impressive that he's such a beefcake. Most of the guys I've met who are taller than me have been more on the skinny side, like they've been stretched out. He weighs almost thirty stones  :mellow:

There’s no way he was 6’2” when I met him. 

On 27/03/2024 at 19:55, scottsdad said:

Senna considered Clark to be the best and visited his old school.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/when-ayrton-senna-visted-musselburgh-to-pay-tribute-to-jim-clark-307314

Clark won 2 Formula 1 titles, the Indy 500, The British Saloon Car Championship, and three Tasman series. 

His F1 record (in percentage terms) for most laps led in a season was only beaten last year by Max Verstappen. He won 25 out of 72 races he entered. The reason he didn't win as many titles as later drivers is because he was killed.

Murray held his own against the very best in his field. Clark was the very best in his. 

Murray spent his career up against the Senna, Schumacher and Fangio of tennis, though. Djokovic, Federer and Nadal are the 3 greatest to ever have played tennis. In any other era Murray would have dominated for a decade. 

4 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

Andy Murray

Gordon Reid

Kenny Dalglish

Robert Miller

David Wilkie

Alan Wells

Jim Watt

Denis Law

Eric Liddell

Doddie Weir 

Actually, Doddie Weir is a good shout. Notsomuch for his playing career but for his legacy. 

On 29/03/2024 at 08:28, 101 said:

I went on name recognition and the fact Taylor's career is still going.

When it's done Taylor will be Scotlands best boxer undoubtedly.

Might also be the fact that the boy is an absolute helmet.