P&B’s Greatest ever Scottish Sportsman

21 hours ago, printer said:

Yeah, I thought about that, but my gut feel is there are probably enough people playing it worldwide for his achievements to qualify. It's not an exact science, as neither is the whole debate, which is why anyone coming up with "Andy Murray, close thread" or versions of that is either a bit ignorant or looking for reassurance.

The one on my list who definitely should be excluded on the minority sport criterion is Chris Hoy. The number of people who have seriously tried his sport is relatively tiny. That's not to detract from his achievements. I know he will have been as dedicated and intense in his training and preparation as anyone else being mooted. Not to mention mental aspects.

Did Peter Nicol not disqualify himself from this list? 

10 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Murray spent his career up against the Senna, Schumacher and Fangio of tennis, though. Djokovic, Federer and Nadal are the 3 greatest to ever have played tennis. In any other era Murray would have dominated for a decade. 

I agree with that re Murray.

On Clark, he is considered one of the greatest ever in F1. To me it is a real shame that he isn't more celebrated. You could argue that Murray was up against the Senna, Clark and Fangio of tennis.

10 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Murray spent his career up against the Senna, Schumacher and Fangio of tennis, though. Djokovic, Federer and Nadal are the 3 greatest to ever have played tennis. In any other era Murray would have dominated for a decade. 

I think It's quite a leap from the facts to that statement. Unless you are comparing Andy as he was (modern fitness, lifestyle, equipment etc) to past players with their equivalents. Not a valid comparison IMO.

Undisputed champion of the world. Not many of them about to be fair! Obviously always comes second to Ken but still it was some achievement!

image.jpeg.8c28e8260ecd5695c481205bedba88bd.jpeg

Edited by Curva Nord

4 hours ago, printer said:

I think It's quite a leap from the facts to that statement. Unless you are comparing Andy as he was (modern fitness, lifestyle, equipment etc) to past players with their equivalents. Not a valid comparison IMO.

Andy Murray spent 41 weeks as world number 1, whilst spending his entire career competing against the 3 greatest players ever to hold a racquet.  He's won more masters titles than anyone other than those 3 and Andre Agassi, ahead of the likes of Pete Sampras (a player who literally dominated tennis for a decade).  Scotland's greatest sportsman.  Close thread. 

On 30/03/2024 at 14:09, MONKMAN said:

Andy Murray spent 41 weeks as world number 1, whilst spending his entire career competing against the 3 greatest players ever to hold a racquet.  He's won more masters titles than anyone other than those 3 and Andre Agassi, ahead of the likes of Pete Sampras (a player who literally dominated tennis for a decade).  Scotland's greatest sportsman.  Close thread. 

He also made 8 Grand Slam titles ( in addition to the 3 he won), losing to one of the 3 every time. 

I think. 

On 30/03/2024 at 14:09, MONKMAN said:

Stats, eh?

In all the 72 F1 races Jim Clark raced in, he was on pole position in 33.  He got 8 grand slams (pole position, fastest lap, led every lap, won the race) out of his 72 races; next on the list is Lewis Hamilton, with 6 grand slams from 335 races. 

He won 70% of all races in 1963. He won the Belgian GP by nearly 5 minutes, still a record.

He still holds a few records, 60 years after he was at his peak. Other champions (Senna, Stewart) considered him the best ever.

Many thanks to all who submitted a list. Kept it to a top 10 due to the number of votes.

The top 10 Scottish Sportsmen* according to P&B is as follows:

Spoiler

10) Jim Clark

9) Liz Mccolgan

8 ) Allan Wells

7) Jackie Stewart

6) Denis Law

5) Kenny Dalglish

4) Ken Buchanan

3) Stephen Hendry

2) Chris Hoy

1) Andy Murray

* including women

First to guess the 3 on the list I had never heard of before doing this gets a greenie

4 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Many thanks to all who submitted a list. Kept it to a top 10 due to the number of votes.

Hide contents

10) Jim Clark

9) Liz Mccolgan

8 ) Allan Wells

7) Jackie Stewart

6) Denis Law

5) Kenny Dalglish

4) Ken Buchanan

3) Stephen Hendry

2) Chris Hoy

1) Andy Murray

* including women

First to guess the 3 on the list I had never heard of before doing this gets a greenie

Buchanan, Wells, Clark

3 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Buchanan, Wells, Clark

Well done that man!

1 minute ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Three? No way. You're at the windup, surely?

I’m 27 if that makes it any better, genuinely never heard of any of the above 3 

17 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I’m 27 if that makes it any better, genuinely never heard of any of the above 3 

Haha, fair enough! Just feels like you've been on here for ever.

ETA: Just checked, you've got 11 years to my mere 6, although I've been round the sun a few more times than you 😉

Edited by Doctor Manhattan

Recency bias aside, it's still Andy Murray.  I had to Google who Jim Clark was as I'd never heard of him until this thread.  Also,  I have zero interest in F1 or it's history.

28 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Recency bias aside, it's still Andy Murray.  I had to Google who Jim Clark was as I'd never heard of him until this thread.  Also,  I have zero interest in F1 or it's history.

F1 isn't a sport. It's a means of transport. We'd be as well with a getting the bus world championship.

On 06/04/2024 at 22:27, Central Belt Caley said:

Reveal hidden contents

10) Jim Clark

9) Liz Mccolgan

8 ) Allan Wells

7) Jackie Stewart

6) Denis Law

5) Kenny Dalglish

4) Ken Buchanan

3) Stephen Hendry

2) Chris Hoy

1) Andy Murray

* including women

IMG_0276.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Genuinely surprised I've read someone say snooker isn't a real sport but included Liz McColgan because she can run. :lol:

Mental.

If snooker is a sport, so is tiddly winks.