When did your team shite it big time?

I don't mean a big defeat against a better team.

I mean a game your team at least had a chance to win and not just in a regular game. I mean in a big/significant game.

Also I don't mean when your team played well and lost. I mean when your team played pish in a big game and utterly shat it.

Too many come to mind for the Pars sadly. The top two for me though are the European loss in Perth and the playoff final second leg defeat to Cowdenbeath at East End.

I've never seen a single second of the game as I was on holiday at the time but losing 2-0 at Ibrox when we were top of the league and they were midtable in the 3rd division is an all-timer. Don't think I'm alone in never really forgiving McCall for it.

Losing the playoff final to County on penalties last season.

Losing 2-1 at Firhill x2 against Rangers in the same season, last minute winners for them both times. Brutal.

Losing both legs of the playoff final against Livi, think we went 1-0 up in the tie too.

2020/2021 for Saints - two semi-final defeats in the cups with the OF posted missing, the League Cup defeat to Livi was especially disappointing with Jim Goodwin waiting way too long before making any substitutions. We also missed out on a Top6 place after losing a last minute goal against Hamilton to drop two points which combined with the Fakes scoring in the last minute of their game resulted in a 4 point swing and us losing out on goal difference IIRC. 

I have a bad feeling about not making the Top6 this season as I have more faith in one of Dundee/Hibs falling short than us getting points from Hearts then Celtic.

Edited by btb

1 hour ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Jack Ross shat it three times in the same season. Unprecedented, even for Hibs. 

I’ll never forgive Jack Ross for that season. 

1 Hearts fan might have a story,

9 years old, they were.

8th game they had been to.

6 of the family went to the game.

I think they lost out on something but can't for the life of me think what year this took place.

1 hour ago, btb said:

2020/2021 for Saints - two semi-final defeats in the cups with the OF posted missing, the League Cup defeat to Livi was especially disappointing with Jim Goodwin waiting way too long before making any substitutions. We also missed out on a Top6 place after losing a last minute goal against Hamilton to drop two points which combined with the Fakes scoring in the last minute of their game resulted in a 4 point swing and us losing out on goal difference IIRC. 

I have a bad feeling about not making the Top6 this season as I have more faith in one of Dundee/Hibs falling short than us getting points from Hearts then Celtic.

I have to say that 2020/21 season i felt really disconnected from - semi final defeats when you werent there and knew you wouldnt be at the final didnt seem to matter as much.

Even as a pessimistic Saints fan, it would take a lot of things to go against us to stop us from getting top 6 this season.

7 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

1 Hearts fan might have a story,

9 years old, they were.

8th game they had been to.

6 of the family went to the game.

I think they lost out on something but can't for the life of me think what year this took place.

Id forgotten about that, I was going to say those cup semifinals to Airdrie but that one probably edges it

The 3-0 loss to Gretna in the 2006 Scottish Cup semi-finals.

I know they were being bankrolled and almost won the whole bloody thing, but we utterly shat the bed that day. We were so bad we'd have probably lost to a pre-Mileson Gretna. 

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I've never seen a single second of the game as I was on holiday at the time but losing 2-0 at Ibrox when we were top of the league and they were midtable in the 3rd division is an all-timer. Don't think I'm alone in never really forgiving McCall for it.

Aye, and we were also the first top flight team to play them since they generously given a place in the league setup. The venom in Ibrox was something else that night. Absolutely brutal showing. 

3 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Losing the playoff final to County on penalties last season.

Losing 2-1 at Firhill x2 against Rangers in the same season, last minute winners for them both times. Brutal.

Losing both legs of the playoff final against Livi, think we went 1-0 up in the tie too.

I'm on board with the first two paragraphs, sadly. 

The last paragraph doesn't belong on this thread. We went one up in the first leg and even that felt a bit against the run of play. We got utterly bullied in that first leg and Livi should have been out of sight. 

One I'd forgotten about was drawing with the buns at Ibrox with a last minuter from fatty Boyd. 1-0 up and looking good for it before a shitey equaliser set up a replay. Being a first division side knocking them out at home would have been class.

Too many to mention but losing to 10-man Aberdeen in the LC quarter-final in 2013/14 stands out - there was literally no one left in the competition and whoever won that game was basically massive favourites for the trophy.

We've blown plenty other cup games but the chances of actually winning the competition were still tiny.

The 2005 LC cup final was a complete no show (we were at least competitive in the other losses).

Murphy's missed penalties v Odense and at Parkhead one new year which would have nominally kept us in a title race are moments like this rather than whole performances...can always miss penalties of course but some timing.