Dundee v Motherwell - 6th April

If I were a rich businessman that planned on leaving our stadium, that I don't own, in the next few years and it's a crumbling mess, would I be inclined to do anything other than spend the bare minimum on it? No, no I would not. 

That decision has come home to roost now and it's a fucking embarrassment.

We've went from having a reputation of having one of the best surfaces in Scottish football to a pitch that makes Motherwell's old infamous tattiefield look like a bowling green.

It's quite soul crushing really.

Is it more than that bit at the corner flag?  Dig a big hole, pump the water out at 2pm, then fill it in while the warm up is on, put abit of turf over the top. We can beat the weather gods.

57 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Would genuinely be embarrassing if you had to get games moved stadium, and raises an absolutely monumental question about whether you'd be allowed to use Dens next season if you can't guarantee the issue would be fixed over the Summer (which based on Dundee fans claims, it can't be).

Homeless before your new stadium is even started would be a relative disaster wouldn't it?

Even if we got it up to Scottish standards, we could cause ourselves all sorts of problems if we do manage a late season surge and qualify for Europe.  I would imagine the requirements, not only on the pitch but the stadium itself may be an awful lot higher than they were 20 years ago.

2 minutes ago, ropy said:

Is it more than that bit at the corner flag?  Dig a big hole, pump the water out at 2pm, then fill it in while the warm up is on, put abit of turf over the top. We can beat the weather gods.

Weirdly I don't think the infamous corner is actually that bad at the moment.  The majority of the pitch is basically fine (or no worse than others anyway), it's just that there seems to be a few random patches that are completely ruined.

Just now, stu2910 said:

Weirdly I don't think the infamous corner is actually that bad at the moment.  The majority of the pitch is basically fine (or no worse than others anyway), it's just that there seems to be a few random patches that are completely ruined.

My plan is transferable to random parts of the pitch.

15 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I noticed the already postponed Civil Service Strollers v's Gretna 2008 match was, yet again, postponed last night due to a waterlogged pitch. Does anyone know if Gretna 2008 released an irate STATEMENT prompting an investigation from the Lowland League?

No, because CSS are a fifth tier team who play on a glorified public park in Muirhouse. Not a fully professional Premiership side.

1 minute ago, Burattino Di Calzini said:

No, because CSS are a fifth tier team who play on a glorified public park in Muirhouse. Not a fully professional Premiership side.

That was meant firmly tongue-in-cheek 😛

Does turning Professional grant football clubs the ability to control freak weather and rainfall? (also tongue-in-cheek)

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

In the season Rangers (1872) reached the UEFA Cup final, St. Mirren played them at Love Street in a pre-split fixture AFTER the split. (the match was originally scheduled for 8th January).

So there is w precedent for doing this.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=2007&GameID=200805190

Yes, it only becomes an issue if we need the fixture to know who's in top 6.

In the Covid curtailed season Rangers v St Johnstone wasn't rescheduled & may have been needed to decide top 6.

It has happened a few times before. There is also no reason that an outstanding game couldn't be played on the weekend after the final round of pre-split games if needed, or even on Scottish Cup semi-final weekend in the possible case of Dundee v Motherwell - I have a feeling this happened before too.

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

In the season Rangers (1872) reached the UEFA Cup final, St. Mirren played them at Love Street in a pre-split fixture AFTER the split. (the match was originally scheduled for 8th January).

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=2007&GameID=200805190

Only because it had no impact on who finished in what half. 

It’s highly likely that at least one of our home games will need to be played to settle the top/bottom 6.

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Also precedent for moving a game, from the same season as the St Mirren - Rangers (1872) game.

Screenshot_20240404_124621_Chrome.thumb.jpg.98426dbeb6385231e81f9b75dcb0b4d1.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007–08_Scottish_Premier_League

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/motherwell/7298496.stm

1 hour ago, Pens_Dark said:

At least when you get relegated there's a chance Mcdiarmid might still see Premiership football next season...

In all seriousness, yes, it's embarrassing. It definitely can also be fixed, I can't remember seeing claims from Dundee fans to suggest otherwise, but that may be because I've just missed that.

Tbf Dundee have apparently been in contact as McDiarmid is the preferred alternative ground if needed for this game.

I'm sure I've seen a few Dundee fans say it's to do with drainage on Dens Road? Something about it all being victorian era plumbing under there so everything coming down the hill just sits and backs up into the pitch when it's heavy. 

I don't think that's something that could be resolved quickly or easily.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf Dundee have apparently been in contact as McDiarmid is the preferred alternative ground if needed for this game.

I'm sure I've seen a few Dundee fans say it's to do with drainage on Dens Road? Something about it all being victorian era plumbing under there so everything coming down the hill just sits and backs up into the pitch when it's heavy. 

I don't think that's something that could be resolved quickly or easily.

Surprised at that as Docherty was emphasising how 'heavy' the McDiarmid Park pitch was and not conducive to how we want to play.

I know that beggars can't be choosers and all that but surprised you'd be the preferred option.

If the game goes ahead on Saturday it’s gonna tear up beyond any kinda quick repair , which hopefully would mean we play The Rangers in Perth and inflict that lot on Perth instead of Dundee again , send our second 11 to Perth , And keep the best 11 for Aberdeen and win against the sheep getting us into the top 6 , then some of the extra cash could be spent sorting Dens for next season 

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Surprised at that as Docherty was emphasising how 'heavy' the McDiarmid Park pitch was and not conducive to how we want to play.

I know that beggars can't be choosers and all that but surprised you'd be the preferred option.

Presumably we need a stadium that’s VAR-ready, which makes McDiarmid the only realistic option. 

(Tannadice will likely have legacy infrastructure, but won’t have the pitchside monitor which almost certainly can’t be installed at such short notice). 

Just now, The Master said:

Presumably we need a stadium that’s VAR-ready, which makes McDiarmid the only realistic option. 

(Tannadice will likely have legacy infrastructure, but won’t have the pitchside monitor which almost certainly can’t be installed at such short notice). 

Of course The Rangers need VAR to be certain of their penalty