Clyde Vs Stranraer, New Douglas Park Links

7 hours ago, Replays said:

All in all, we got exactly what we wanted out of that game and I think the players (and the manager) have to take some plaudits for that. Our substitutes helped to turn the screw on Stranraer and despite what a few others have said, I feel Grant and Cuddihy both did well in midfield today. It was certainly a much better performance for Cuddihy today after an absolute horror show at Peterhead last week, though he wasn’t alone in that. Whilst the first half was an absolute non-event, it was apparent from early in the second-half that we were playing the conditions better than Stranraer who didn’t create an awful lot given their advantage of playing with the wind in the first-half.

Our second-half performance, with the exception of the first couple of minutes where Stranraer forced Kinnear into a decent block, was absolutely dominant and we could have had three or four goals today. However, with Allan’s effort was superbly cleared off the line, Grant and Allan’s efforts narrowly wide, Leitch’s effort just about scrambled away between the keeper and the defender, Scullion’s effort down the neck of the keeper, Allan’s ball across the six-yard box with no takers, it just seemed like it was going to be one of those days that summed up our season. Needless to say, it was absolute bedlam when the ball hit the net.

I read Kyle Fleming say on Stranraer’s website yesterday that they weren’t coming to sit in and look for a draw so it was interesting to note Scott Agnew say after the match that he had changed things to try and leave with a point. Certainly, even in the first-half, a Robertson effort aside, Stranraer didn’t seem in any great rush to create things. Of course, you’d have expected us to do the same in Stranraer’s position, but it’s always sweet to get a winner against a team who has no intention to come and get a win, heightened further by the obvious nonsense that took place down in Stranraer in February. The goal reminded me in a few ways on Martin McNiff’s late winner in the promotion season against Annan Athletic who were a very unsavoury bunch to play against that season. A real GIRFUY moment that reminds us of why we bother after all (and there haven’t been many of those this season).

Of course, it all counts for naught unless we can remain off of bottom spot until the end of the season. I’m still not completely confident given our run of fixtures and with Stenhousemuir having won the title (congrats @Francesc Fabregas, @Neilly  and all the other Stenny fans on here) it could make the fixtures that ourselves, Bonnyrigg and Stranraer have to play against them a tad unpredictable. Plus, when you have sides safely in the play off spots you start to see a bit of rotation in their squads which again makes things a bit more of a lottery. We have four massive games coming up and we’ll need to be at the top of our game in absolutely all of them. The thought of needing something on the last day against Elgin has been filling me with dread for a while now so I dare not get too overconfident. However, I really hope we do manage to pull an escape off. I’ve been as critical as anybody this season of the team, and the club as a whole, but listening to Allan Maitland in the Fanzone before the match, you can’t help but get the feeling that the club may actually be slowly starting to turn in the right direction. It’s dreadful that it’s taken things to get this dire before implementing change, and so much of what Maitland was saying seems dependent on staying up, but it does seem like it could be a potentially exciting time for the club should we manage to stay up.

902 in attendance today which was a great crowd, helped of course by the reduced admission and the fact that Rangers and Celtic play tomorrow. I noticed that in amongst were Mick Kennedy and Simon Ferry, no doubt doing a bit of scouting of the potential Club 42. On that note, a big shout out to ‘1888stevieB’ on Twitter who appears to be a Celtic/East Kilbride fan. Stevie was very critical of the two sides today stating that “not one minute of football was played” and describing both sides as “utter dugmeat”. Whilst it’s hard to disagree with Stevie too much, I’d like to see any team try and play free-flowing football in those kind of conditions! Stevie is extremely confident that his beloved Kilby would beat either Clyde or Stranraer so to whoever Club 42 ends up, I would it if you could absolutely horse East Kilbride if the situation arises as I’d simply love to see his reaction should East Kilbride fail to win the play-offs. Still, not that he has me rattled or anything like that.

I’ve had the misfortune of interacting with a couple of Ek fans on Twitter (shock that their big team was also Celtic too!). They seem to think they’re the galacticos but forget what league they’re in and the competition down there for the most part.

I said before the game that I thought we needed Cuddihy and Grant as a base in midfield and I thought they showed why yesterday. For a smaller guy, Cuddihy wins more than his fair share of headers and Grant was first to absolutely everything for most of the game, retaining possession in the process. I thought Scullion was excellent and for all Kinnear's faults, we have a goalkeeper now who can justifiably pick out saves that have led to points.

I thought the referee was fine. Stranraer were wasting time, but so were we a bit in the first half. He added 6 minutes stoppage time. I didn't think Allan was kicked in the head (it was a silly challenge regardless) and I thought Grant's booking was fair. Not convinced on the second Stranraer yellow.

You would back us to do better over a four game run than Stranraer but next week we run into a Dumbarton team hitting some form. Could Forfar maybe drop back into it? 

Allan has been worth every penny. He genuinely could have scored a brace in every game he has played.

It’s funny how people see the game differently. 

I don’t think Allan got caught in the face, looked more like the chest area, but it was still a dangerous challenge in the air by the Stranraer player, I felt it was more red than yellow. Grants booking was soft as shite.

Stranraer were at the time wasting from the first whistle until we scored. Don’t recall us time wasting, not sure why we would either when a draw didn’t really suit us.

Other than Rennie and King I thought everyone had a decent game. Lyon had his standard couple of aimless hoofs up the park but otherwise was fine too. I didn’t think it was going to be Allan’s day after snatching at a few chances but that leap for the headed goal was majestic.

1 hour ago, Moonball said:

Great highlights and at times comedy commentary - thanks for posting. Cannae beat a bit of commentator's bias. Jordan Allan is kicked in the face by a ridiculously high and dangerous boot but his resultant fall/face clutching is "histrionics". Then we have Grant getting scythed down from behind whilst we're boosting up the park to potentially score a goal on the break and he's "making the most of that".

Also enjoyed watching the cardboard cutout Stranny fans from the end stand view when our winning goal went in. Most of them barely moved an inch in their seats...is that a sign of resignation or were you guys too busy checking the Rangers lineup for Sunday?

Gotta love it! 

Edited by RutherGlen

20 minutes ago, David W said:

I said before the game that I thought we needed Cuddihy and Grant as a base in midfield and I thought they showed why yesterday. For a smaller guy, Cuddihy wins more than his fair share of headers and Grant was first to absolutely everything for most of the game, retaining possession in the process. I thought Scullion was excellent and for all Kinnear's faults, we have a goalkeeper now who can justifiably pick out saves that have led to points.

I thought the referee was fine. Stranraer were wasting time, but so were we a bit in the first half. He added 6 minutes stoppage time. I didn't think Allan was kicked in the head (it was a silly challenge regardless) and I thought Grant's booking was fair. Not convinced on the second Stranraer yellow.

You would back us to do better over a four game run than Stranraer but next week we run into a Dumbarton team hitting some form. Could Forfar maybe drop back into it? 

Allan has been worth every penny. He genuinely could have scored a brace in every game he has played.

We've definitely had worse refs this season, (Peterhead last week for example) but if you think that ref was "fine" you should maybe consider a career with the SFA. In what way were we time wasting first half? Indecision isn't the same as deliberately trying to run the clock down to get a point which was clearly Stranraer's game plan for 92 minutes. 

Absolutely agree on Allan. You could argue we'd be mid table had he never left for Falkirk. 

Edited by RutherGlen

Jordan had what looked like 2 stud marks on his upper cheek when he came off at half time.  A glancing blow perhaps but very much a tackle that meets the threshold of red.

Glad to see Jordan doing well for you guys. Really nice lad. Didn’t really fit into our system but he’s flying for you guys.

11 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Surely reacting to opposition players scoring against you is a crime punishable by imprisonment or banishment and nobody does that other than the big bad Clyde fans who cause trouble everywhere they go?!

Amen!

Not impressed with the ref stopping play twice in the first half for needless situations including one where a Stranraer player threw himself down screaming then was back up in 30 seconds. He stopped play a third time for the scullion head clash which was fair enough but the other two were ridiculous. 

8 minutes ago, Adolfo Rios said:

Jordan had what looked like 2 stud marks on his upper cheek when he came off at half time.  A glancing blow perhaps but very much a tackle that meets the threshold of red.

Aron Lynas got kicked in the head against Bonnyrigg for us a few weeks ago by a shoulder high boot. Right in full view of the assistant. Had blood pouring from the wound (which opened up again yesterday) and the referee didn't even give a foul.

Who was that referee I hear you ask?

Mr Jordan Curran.

The highlights are really well put together and somehow made the first half look watchable.

Slight backtrack from my previous comments, it does look like the foot goes into Allan's chest rather than face (though I note he has apparently been left with studmarks to the face). Still think the ref shat it and the commentator was maybe caught up in things, labelling Allan's reaction histrionics. Imagine most folk would go down like a sack of spuds if a semi-pro athlete ran up and kicked them in face/chest.

9 minutes ago, WHW said:

Glad to see Jordan doing well for you guys. Really nice lad. Didn’t really fit into our system but he’s flying for you guys.

It's testament to his quality that he actually doesn't really fit our system either but is regularly scoring hugely important goals regardless. Torn between wanting him to stay with us but knowing he could really excel at a level above in the right sort of team and wanting the best for him.

Congrats on the title btw and all the best in the Championship next season. Sure there will have been comments along the lines of "about time" or the size of the club but the manner Falkirk have gone about winning the title this year is hugely impressive regardless.

Do you know if Jordan will get a winner's medal? Not sure of the criteria around number of games played or that.

33 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

Great highlights and at times comedy commentary - thanks for posting. Cannae beat a bit of commentator's bias. Jordan Allan is kicked in the face by a ridiculously high and dangerous boot but his resultant fall/face clutching is "histrionics". Then we have Grant getting scythed down from behind whilst we're boosting up the park to potentially score a goal on the break and he's "making the most of that".

Also enjoyed watching the cardboard cutout Stranny fans from the end stand view when our winning goal went in. Most of them barely moved an inch in their seats...is that a sign of resignation or were you guys too busy checking the Rangers lineup for Sunday?

Gotta love it! 

He's nowhere near his face. Just because Allan held his face doesn't mean that's where contact was made. I never saw the challenge on Grant that you're talking about. Do you mean the Ballantyne one where the Stranraer player clearly won the ball? 

41 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

It’s funny how people see the game differently. 

I don’t think Allan got caught in the face, looked more like the chest area, but it was still a dangerous challenge in the air by the Stranraer player, I felt it was more red than yellow. Grants booking was soft as shite.

Exactly how I saw it from the highlights. It was dangerous and the guy was lucky to get away with a yellow but it wasn't Allan's face. Grant's booking was ridiculous as he's clearly won the ball. As I said above, he's booked a Stranraer player for something almost identical. He maybe believes the myth you can't tackle from behind.

12 hours ago, Clyde_MM said:

I see some Stranraer fans were gesticulating and shouting at our players for getting it right up them after our goal.

I have absolutely zero problem with this because I'm not a hand-wringing baby like certain fans of other clubs from this league that like to post in our match threads.

Eh? Fans of your own club said last time that the Stranraer players celebrating in front of them was what caused the problems the last time :lol:

That's a split second before the contact. I think most of the contact actually comes on his arm. 

You could still just about argue a red for endangering an opponent, as he'd started off much higher, but think a yellow car is just about right, though that decision was probably more luck that judgement on the referees part.

Screenshot_20240407_103156_Chrome.jpg

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Eh? Fans of your own club said last time that the Stranraer players celebrating in front of them was what caused the problems the last time :lol:

It certainly provoked a strong reaction from our fans, as the Stranraer players probably wanted. May have contributed to the FT scuffles on the pitch as well, though it sounded quite a bad tempered game anyway. Off the pitch? Maybe, though people need to be more mature than that. Loser behaviour to get so angry at a celebration that you end up in a fight. If you're happy to get it up folk you need to accept it when they get it up you back.

Not sure if you do follow our match threads week-to-week but there are a few folk whose opinion on goading opposition fans or players directing celebrations towards opposing fans changes depending on which end of the exchange Clyde fans are on.

Just now, Clyde_MM said:

Not sure if you do follow our match threads week-to-week but there are a few folk whose opinion on goading opposition fans or players directing celebrations towards opposing fans changes depending on which end of the exchange Clyde fans are on.

I think this applies to the Clyde fans as well tbf, as evidenced by the praise being heaped on Allan for getting it up them.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think this applies to the Clyde fans as well tbf, as evidenced by the praise being heaped on Allan for getting it up them.

I see your point. Normally I wouldn't approve of our players celebrating as they did yesterday. It's classless and ends up in a tit for tat. I can't speak for every Clyde fan but, given the context of Stranraer's players' celebrations in the previous game, I wholeheartedly approve of yesterday. It's childish aye, but that was just our tat in response to their tit.

I've no animosity to the Stranraer fans. Before the game they were in the pub I was in and both sets of fans were absolutely fine. They behaved themselves in the ground too. No bother after the match.

However, I hope it hurt their players seeing the celebrations. Very telling that our players saw them celebrating in front of our fans back in February and it provoked a reaction. Yesterday Stranraer's players, some literally, took it lying down.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Aron Lynas got kicked in the head against Bonnyrigg for us a few weeks ago by a shoulder high boot. Right in full view of the assistant. Had blood pouring from the wound (which opened up again yesterday) and the referee didn't even give a foul.

Who was that referee I hear you ask?

Mr Jordan Curran.

We always moan for consistency from the officials and we do get it...just consistently shite 

49 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

That's a split second before the contact. I think most of the contact actually comes on his arm. 

You could still just about argue a red for endangering an opponent, as he'd started off much higher, but think a yellow car is just about right, though that decision was probably more luck that judgement on the referees part.

Screenshot_20240407_103156_Chrome.jpg

If he hadn’t booked Grant for a clean tackle then there might have been less demand for this to be red. The same punishment for those two challenges is mental. I didn’t think the Stranraer tackle on Ballantyne was a booking either at the time.