Junior Takeover

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Take a day off! 

Th PG and Dak fell under the same category for me. I wasn't sure if I enjoyed it or not and I struggled not to be catty (steady Bill) about it on here at the time.

😄

3 minutes ago, energyzone said:

Fans at this level (especially those from Talbot by the way) are notorious for being critical of artificially funded clubs but Gartcairn seem to escape most of the attention. Compare the jibes directed towards Johnstone Burgh and Darvel (and previously Irvine Meadow, Hurlford, Kilwinning, Bathgate etc) to the relative silence towards Gartcairn. At least it was mostly clear who was funding those clubs whereas all we've been told about Gartcairn is that the funders are a bunch of like-minded businessman in some sort of jolly business venture, investing in a club with no fans, while Airdrie and multiple other pre-existing clubs are a short distance away, all of  whom would have welcomed the cash injection.  

They are warping the financial landscape at this level just as much as those other clubs but there is a curious lack of conversation here about it. Maybe the source of the finances is legitimate but it rings alarm bells for me.

Talbot fans seem more vocal because there are more of them and they are continually putting their hand in their pocket for their club. 

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Talbot fans seem more vocal because there are more of them and they are continually putting their hand in their pocket for their club. 

Clydebank are the same,we have loads of fans who pay monthly contributions ( I suspect Talbot do too).

4 hours ago, BANKIEBILL said:

The semi final gates. The proceeds are - 40% to the home team and 60% to the SJFA. The explanation & justification for this being that they are allowing the participating clubs an extra game and that they'll make £5k from hospitality or they don't run their clubs professionally enough

Don’t know many clubs that could fit 150 people in for hospitality and then make that kind of profit after food, drink and staff costs.

On 10/04/2024 at 13:15, An Absolute Imposter said:

These questions - and many others - will be answered in the next episode of . . . WOS football.

I'll just repost this every couple of days, shall I.

I'm cancelling Netflix, Prime, Disney Plus, Paramount the whole shebang don't need them anymore.

22 minutes ago, energyzone said:

Fans at this level (especially those from Talbot by the way) are notorious for being critical of artificially funded clubs but Gartcairn seem to escape most of the attention. Compare the jibes directed towards Johnstone Burgh and Darvel (and previously Irvine Meadow, Hurlford, Kilwinning, Bathgate etc) to the relative silence towards Gartcairn. At least it was mostly clear who was funding those clubs whereas all we've been told about Gartcairn is that the funders are a bunch of like-minded businessman in some sort of jolly business venture, investing in a club with no fans, while Airdrie and multiple other pre-existing clubs are a short distance away, all of  whom would have welcomed the cash injection.  

They are warping the financial landscape at this level just as much as those other clubs but there is a curious lack of conversation here about it. Maybe the source of the finances is legitimate but it rings alarm bells for me.

In all seriousness I have no idea why anyone would chuck money into Gartcairn. I think they've just sort of gotten on with it rather than court the media for attention so they won't be on your average fan's radar like Darvel and JB. 

22 minutes ago, energyzone said:

He seemed to suggest that them and St Cadocs are the model for progression which is utterly bizarre as both clubs have zero fans.

They have large youth clubs which is great but that won’t translate into actual fans who attend matches.

The player pathway is virtually zero with the clubs signing players from higher up for silly money.This is why Rossvale ended up splitting from the 1st team I believe which is now Caledonian Locos who are also still watched by virtually nobody.

There's been a fair amount of poking fun at the likes of Gartcairn and St Cadocs but the League tables don't lie. They've made huge progress. That's to be applauded. It isn't as though they've broken any rules & Regs.

Presumably the senior teams at these clubs are one and the same as the boys, girls and youth teams? Logically that gives the opportunity for youngsters to progress as far as they can as amateurs or semi-pros so what's wrong with that?

How do these clubs make it work given what can happen when Youth clubs talk of creating Player Pathways? Anyone any idea?

The under 20's and younger at, say, Gartcairn also gain the benefit of regular use of the senior sides' facilities, with changing facilities, lights, seats etc. or is it the other way round? i.e. the seniors use the Under age players park?

Interesting to see how they make it work to mutual benefit given what has happened to one or two other clubs which sought to provide a player pathway. Either way it looks like a good set-up.

St Cadocs though seem to have a way to go yet re facilities but, apart from that they're doing well.

1 hour ago, Dev said:

There's been a fair amount of poking fun at the likes of Gartcairn and St Cadocs but the League tables don't lie. They've made huge progress. That's to be applauded. It isn't as though they've broken any rules & Regs.

Presumably the senior teams at these clubs are one and the same as the boys, girls and youth teams? Logically that gives the opportunity for youngsters to progress as far as they can as amateurs or semi-pros so what's wrong with that?

How do these clubs make it work given what can happen when Youth clubs talk of creating Player Pathways? Anyone any idea?

The under 20's and younger at, say, Gartcairn also gain the benefit of regular use of the senior sides' facilities, with changing facilities, lights, seats etc. or is it the other way round? i.e. the seniors use the Under age players park?

Interesting to see how they make it work to mutual benefit given what has happened to one or two other clubs which sought to provide a player pathway. Either way it looks like a good set-up.

St Cadocs though seem to have a way to go yet re facilities but, apart from that they're doing well.

They bring nothing to the league.

Nobody watches them and never will.

2 hours ago, Vanderbilt said:

They bring nothing to the league.

Nobody watches them and never will.

Both teams had Meadow well beaten this season at Meadow Park and was more noise from the players than the fans & committee who were lucky to get into double figures despite scoring some great goals. We will have far bigger away supporters from almost all teams in the First Division next season unless Caledonian Locos get promotion. They may get some more home fans but very few travel compared to teams like Hurlford, Darvel and others that are slagged on here for having no fans when they actually bring at least 50 or even much more depending on time of year / how they are doing. 

Edited by Shannon

8 hours ago, Shannon said:

Both teams had Meadow well beaten this season at Meadow Park and was more noise from the players than the fans & committee who were lucky to get into double figures despite scoring some great goals. We will have far bigger away supporters from almost all teams in the First Division next season unless Caledonian Locos get promotion. They may get some more home fans but very few travel compared to teams like Hurlford, Darvel and others that are slagged on here for having no fans when they actually bring at least 50 or even much more depending on time of year / how they are doing. 

Always a sane voice among the screaming banshees. Some of the nonsense spouted on here by adults, I wouldn't call them childish; they are not that mature.

Yourself and @Arthurlie1981 always enjoyable and informative posting. Looking like both of you can have more adult chats on the First Div. forum next year away from all the shouters.

I know you'd prefer being in the Premier, maybe some grounds to visit you haven't been to in a while and some visitors new and old to look forward to.

21 hours ago, energyzone said:

Right just to be clear. Why does it matter who's funding our club? What are we doing wrong? Yes we get about 50 home supporters but we're only 9 years old. Most of the premier league are over 100 years old. 

our hospitality is one of the best, our facilities are getting better and our team are doing ok. 

I can see there are a few people on here who will never be pleased and seem to have something against Alex McDowall, just so you're aware no one really cares about the personal insults you spout. At least this guy is putting himself in the firing line to try and make things better along with everyone in any position of power. Ultimately it's up to all 80 clubs to decide the outcome of any ideas put forward so if you have a moan and a greet, contact your club to put your issues forward where it counts. 

31 minutes ago, Cairn Cheerleader said:

Right just to be clear. Why does it matter who's funding our club? What are we doing wrong? Yes we get about 50 home supporters but we're only 9 years old. Most of the premier league are over 100 years old. 

our hospitality is one of the best, our facilities are getting better and our team are doing ok. 

I can see there are a few people on here who will never be pleased and seem to have something against Alex McDowall, just so you're aware no one really cares about the personal insults you spout. At least this guy is putting himself in the firing line to try and make things better along with everyone in any position of power. Ultimately it's up to all 80 clubs to decide the outcome of any ideas put forward so if you have a moan and a greet, contact your club to put your issues forward where it counts. 

How does the Player Pathway function at Gartcairn? Some clubs have failed with this. Would you say that it's working well at Gartcairn? Are there many coming through to the first team squad and getting match-Day experience? There talk about expensive non-Pathway players coming in. Are they a good fit? i.e. no complaints from parents/young Pathway players as has happened elsewhere? Just interested as the club could be a good example for others to follow.

Similar to the above: other clubs may benefit from following Gartcairn's approach to improving the performances at first team level. Any tips?

1 hour ago, Dev said:

How does the Player Pathway function at Gartcairn? Some clubs have failed with this. Would you say that it's working well at Gartcairn? Are there many coming through to the first team squad and getting match-Day experience? There talk about expensive non-Pathway players coming in. Are they a good fit? i.e. no complaints from parents/young Pathway players as has happened elsewhere? Just interested as the club could be a good example for others to follow.

Similar to the above: other clubs may benefit from following Gartcairn's approach to improving the performances at first team level. Any tips?

Great post... it's a very difficult one as the level between under 20s and WOSPL is very big. Gartcairn have several clubs who we loan players to help their development but all train with us all  pre season and at least once per week. 

29 minutes ago, clansman said:

So what things is Alex going to try to make things better ?

His plan for a central league was ran by a 100 junior clubs so not everyone might be aware.

I don't know but he will bring suggestions for all 80 clubs to consider. As will all the board. The Junior Cup has the history and now the finance which makes it the top competition in non league football. The South Cup although has better teams in it has no finance or even a sponsor therefore it's a bit of an inconvenience to some clubs. This is why Alex is asking if clubs want to make the entry optional. Ultimately it's up to each club.

9 minutes ago, Cairn Cheerleader said:

I don't know but he will bring suggestions for all 80 clubs to consider. As will all the board. The Junior Cup has the history and now the finance which makes it the top competition in non league football. The South Cup although has better teams in it has no finance or even a sponsor therefore it's a bit of an inconvenience to some clubs. This is why Alex is asking if clubs want to make the entry optional. Ultimately it's up to each club.

From gouging gate money from participants. Not the multiple sponsors that were going to somehow fund the £80k prize money that was regularly floated about. Still no one knows if it will be a money loser for the SJFA as its the first season.