​​​​​​​ Greenock Morton v Dundee United  12/4/24 (on BBC Scotland)

10 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

No match thread yet and kick off is just over 10 hours away?

Would probably take a point but if we win then the rest of the season will become an easier watch.

Have quite a lot of Morton posters given up on P and B? Your own thread is a bit of a ghost town these days?

3 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Have quite a lot of Morton posters given up on P and B? Your own thread is a bit of a ghost town these days?

As is our forum.

Morton have had a really strange season. I've not followed them all that closely obviously but didn't they have a club record unbeaten run, which also brought all-round nice guy Dougie Imrie multiple Manager of the Month awards? Good cup performances too.  How come they're unlikely to even manage a PO place?

4 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Morton have had a really strange season. I've not followed them all that closely obviously but didn't they have a club record unbeaten run, which also brought all-round nice guy Dougie Imrie multiple Manager of the Month awards? Good cup performances too.  How come they're unlikely to even manage a PO place?

Crap start to the season, great middle bit, fading away at the end.

2 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

The annual Morton spring collapse happened. Just like it happened last year, all of the Duffy seasons in the Championship, 2012-13 season, most of the Division 2 seasons and so on. Its like a hereditary disease at this point.

Can't even be arsed watching this game on the telly tbh. Ready for the season to finish.

4 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

Obviously hoping for a home win here , is Oakley back yet? 

He is but has struggled to make any real impact in terms of goals since his return from injury. Hopefully he’ll do the business tonight. 

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

It's strange stuff. Any particular reason for it?

Our fate for the season is more or less decided, 4 drab matches left with not much to gloat about and not much to moan about. Unremarkable 5th-7th place finish. Performances haven't been terrible nor have they been impressive. Just extremely meh.

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

It’s the start to the season that’s really killed us. If we have even an average first quarter we’d be in the play offs. I’m sure someone will remember the details better than me but I think we were still bottom of the league into mid November. That unbeaten run was outstanding but couldn’t repair all the damage of our bad start. 

Last season we were streaky too, but the streaks were less pronounced - after an average start we then had 3 defeats in a row followed by 10 unbeaten, the last two of which were draws starting a run of 6 without a win, followed by 3 wins in a row, then another winless 6, then 4 wins and a draw in the last 5. We still easily got into ruts or became a tough nut to crack with confidence, but it was much more up and down.

This season it's just been a much simpler appalling first third (W2 D2 L8), a brilliant second third (W8 D4 L0) and what so far has been a terrible final third (W1 D2 L5). Even if we were to go and win our remaining 4 games, and there's no reason to believe we're capable of turning over Dundee United and Raith just now, it won't be enough for the playoffs: you can't have two poor runs of form of that length and expect to challenge.

Hard to say why compared to last season. I do think we've been less tactically flexible than last season, which explains why we literally haven't won a game without Oakley, when flexibility had been a big strength of Imrie's previously.  When we went on that run of 10 unbeaten last season it was before we'd even signed Oakley, our long balls were all about quickly finding the feet of wingers in space behind the opposition because even if we'd wanted to we had no target man to aim at. Adding Oakley let us mix up our gameplan from January and keep teams guessing rather than just resorting to solely hanging it in the air for him to compete with defenders.

This season we've gotten more and more dependent on doing exactly that, and if we don't have a target man to go route one to we look lost despite still only having one player who can do that. Even when Oakley's been absent we've been tried to do it with Muirhead or Quitongo up front, which will obviously never work and is why we weren't trying it in the first half of last season.

I think a not insignificant factor is the amount of the season we've had Waters and French at full-back who are hopeless in possession where last season and through our good run this season we always had at least one defender who was very comfortable crossing the halfway line and picking a pass into midfield when needed, carrying the team up the park with them. The drop off in quality from Strapp and Grimshaw to the two of them is huge. We also had Ambrose who could do that from centre back to a far higher standard than Broadfoot, but there are failings throughout the team.