Edinburgh City vs Stirling Albion

well here we are.......

i wouldn't have considered travelling for this one if there wasn't so much on the line. Going to make the trip to Meadowbank for the first time in many years. 

quite simply a must win for us. win and it means that our placing remains in our hands on the last day. the season hasn't been great and really just want to get a league one place assured for next year and try and work out what can be learned from the season. Lose and we deserve to go down never mind be in the playoffs.

after a clean sheet last week, i see the goalie and back four being the same. 

if fit enough, i think Jack Leitch will be back starting, probably at the expense of Banner to partner Crane in the middle with McPake and Offord out wide. i really think DY will basically go back to last season's blueprint. an attacking 4-4-2. it might just work.......the games against EC have been the closest we've generally come to last season's form.  we don't have the personnel to play it cagey so we might as well try and stick to what we were once good at. 

We need the win for confidence going into the last day just as much as we need the points.

i still believe we can do it. 

Edited by WattersIsGod
typo

Yip, here we are indeed. I have to be honest and say that a few months back, I didn't think this would be the case but we are where we are. The last 3 or 4 months of the season have been awful, I just want it finished now and I hope that Darren Young has plans in place that will help kick us on, and obviously I hope that's as a League 1 club. 

43 minutes ago, WattersIsGod said:

i really think DY will basically go back to last season's blueprint. an attacking 4-4-2.

I really don't know why he changed it. Our squad is balanced enough to have kept it and was geared around that formation and it obviously worked so well for us last season. The big problem for us this season is the lack of goals, I think that's partly down to the fact that Dale Carrick hasn't had a Robert Thomson to work off and has been fed scraps. I don't think Spence has it for this level anymore (neither does Hilson) but that would be my front 2 going into this match, and on his day, Spenny is a right handful for Defenders and the League table doesn't lie, Edinburgh don't have Defenders for this level.

I've kind of said it all over the past few weeks, so lets hope we can achieve the task. I'll not be heading along, refuse to pay the money to watch football in that stadium, but will be glued to the X updates and keeping my fingers crossed we bag the 3 points.

6 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

I really don't know why he changed it. Our squad is balanced enough to have kept it and was geared around that formation and it obviously worked so well for us last season

i think he changed it because it wasn't working. 

Once Ross Davidson was out, the midfield didn't work properly particularly out of possession. 

the Thommo/Carrick partnership wasn't getting the same joy out of better defenders. 

our slow back four were getting overrun and not getting protection from a midfield designed to be better with the ball than without. 

I worried about some of this stuff before the season started. I really wanted us to sign another central midfielder who was more of a do it all type. we've got far too many players who are poor defensively but also aren't contributing enough in an attacking sense to make up for it this season. 

Hilson and Milne were supposed to improve our attacking options but it's hard to argue that either have added very much at all. McPake has added an attacking threat but again, he's terrible defensively. People have a lot to say about Cammy Clark but you try playing all season with the likes of Milne and McPake in front of you leaving you constantly exposed. 

8 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Fair points @WattersIsGod and very true mate.

Totally agree that the Thommo/Carrick partnership wasn't working at this level, however it was never really addressed when Thommo went sadly.

I’m not sure that partnership got much of a chance, Thommo seemed to be the third choice partner for Carrick after Hilton and Spence and most of the time as a late sub with little chance to influence matters.

So here we are again...When Saturday comes....the joys of supporting the Bino's....seen it all before....but still confident...not arrogant but belief in the guy's....that bit of hunger & desire to dig deep inside themselves...prove that they have got it going into 2 big games....no matter what the outcome on Saturday i still believe it will come down to Annan at Forthbank, i would think given the season & record's they are chasing Falkirk will take at least a point from Annan for the invincible season...leaving us to go out & get 3 points against ECFC with a team performance....show why we were champions last season & have control going into the last game....anything less then we would need to win the following week no 2nd chances....that's only my way of looking at it...

Few point's to follow up on previous comments & again this is only my opinion...

I would hold my hands up about being critical of Cammy Clark...but as  @WattersIsGod pointed out he's had zero cover or help firstly Milne who DY desperately tried to shoehorn into the team at all costs as it was one of his signings & latterly McPake who has zero interest passing to anyone never mind defending....McPake overplays the ball & the situation all too often...which i also believes upsets the balance of the team...no doubt he has ability....just very frustrating...so yes Cammy Clark has had it tough, however i don't see him as long-term LB,, maybe Crane next season with a returning Davidson in midfield plus 1 other signing,, cut losses with Milne...Hilson also has been a real disappointment...1 goal return simply isn't enough...he flatters deceive...Spenny is a trier..but at this stage it's a level above for him IMO...

So what's our other options...we don't have another Thomo....but we do have Offord...who IS & wa signed as a striker,, previous loan spells as a striker...yet DY doesn't play him upfront with DC....I'd love to see that combination...raw pace...defenders hate it....Carrick's experience & Offord's eye for goal...that would be my choice 2 upfront 

We need to step away from get the ball to McPake at all costs because he's getting worked out now & we are predictable 

I'd still like to see BC back in goals 

Scouse, Jojo, Pab's, Cammy will probably be the back 4

Midfield of Hilson RM..... Crane & Banner CM......... McPake LM

Offord & Carrick upfront 

that's just my team thoughts....opinion is good & so is positivety...I've still got faith & belief we will be fine,,I just want to see that desire,, strong voices,, self belief & belief in each other,, taking ownership of our status,, Bino's are winners 💪 🇵🇪

Home & Away....C'mon the bino's 

I did this a few days ago but forgot to post. My only doubt is RM so I have gone for the same initials (Rudi). Can't say he's impressed yet but neither has Hilson and Offord better as a striker off DC. Essentially it's 4-4-2. Special mention to giraffe on skateboard (5) and let's hope we keep the ball on the deck and avoid Option 2.

Merged_document.png

i don't want to see RM starting. not his fault but i don't think he's been a useful signing for the battle we are in. he's obviously talented but still a bit raw and lightweight. 

i'm happier with Offord wide right and Spence and Carrick up front.  I think Offord is better than Hilson either up front or wide right. 

i think we have to approach this one on the front foot. i've been critical of an overly open approach to a lot of the away games but this is one where it is entirely appropriate. We should be better than our opponent so pick a team to attempt to dominate the game.  for me that means back to the risky centre midfield containing Jack Leitch and hope that Calum Crane can do his best Ross Davidson impression. 

if ever there was a game to try and recreate the magic of last season, it's this one. 

I think that we are missing out on the best Kieran Offord by playing him out wide instead of his natural position of central striker....no disrespect to Spenny...but i think the game is too quick for him on these plastic pitches...the ball runs away from him unless it's directly into his feet... Offord away to Annan...1st full start playing through the middle scores his 1st goal...clear to see he was our best player that day & were he belongs...Cove away...being direct..runs at defence inside & scores...Montrose...last minute...through the middle...scores...against Alloa probably our best player from a bad lot,,certainly made chances for himself... Kelty away...out wide right...against the wind anonymous...2nd half swapped out wide so McPake could come to the other side beside DY & ended up being frustrated with lack of the ball...same last week against QOS...swapped about out wide either side to accommodate McPake & couldn't be direct & show his striker's instinct because he was fitting in to fit around other's...McPake then Spence off for Hilson...he then subs Offord for Milne of all people...then hooks a knackered Carrick for a very bland Leitch making Hilson the striking option WTF!!!! Hilson can't score, can't run the line, isn't direct & has no pace... Spence is an impact sun IMO...no pace but clever when the game is stretched....that's when he's better....

Instead of having Carrick run himself into the ground & be passed along the line,,give him support...another natural striker...Offord....let the 2 of them do what they do best...we are playing ECFC...be ruthless..let them play their natural position & be positive...enough of this Offord out wide right or then left if McPake wants to swap & be closer to DY....play the position McPake...do the role...let Offord & Carrick loose upfront together,,give them a double problem with pace, direct & natural striker's 

Ok if he does drop Banner for Leitch i could live with that....one thing for sure is it wouldn't be Banner for Cooper..that's just never going to happen for Cooper & i think he can feel a little bit aggrieved at the lack of playing time...

But please DY let's be direct,,do the right thing & let Offord at them through the middle with Carrick & stop wasting his natural ability out wide...let's go after them & win this game...if needs must later on bring Spence on then to use his experience...but not as a starter,

Still believe, C'mon the bino's 💪 🇵🇪

Is the season not over yet? 

My first away game was Stirling Albion v Meadowbank in May 1987. There were 6 foot high nettles growing out of the urinals and there was sleet in the first half over us in the open terracing. Swapped ends at half time and the sun came out when we were in the covered terrace. 

Going for a pee in front of 6 foot high nettles is probably marginally more pleasurable than going to Saturday's game.. 

Stirling Albion won 3-1 too which is a likely score prediction for Saturday. 

I wonder if EC hadn't lost so many players etc and docked points where they would be. I'd wager not far off Albion unfortunately. Rules are rules though and hope we get 3 points. I don't want to be going back that stadium next season.

58 minutes ago, Binos said:

Should be an absolute nailed on 100% victory 

Which worries me 

Why should it be a 100pc nailed on victory?

Still surprised at how many binos are under estimating your own very poor form.

Edinburgh are at home, have picked up 3x as many points as you have in last 3 games (okay it's only one win!). Stirling really struggling to score and pick up wins. 5/1 for an Edinburgh win is looking like a decent bet. Seen both teams recently and thought Edinburgh looked better, especially in the forward areas. They've been competitive in recent games.

I'm still really hoping you guys avoid 9th and we beat annan.

33 minutes ago, Beepee67 said:

When buying my ticket i see the price has increased from £12 to £15.... that's embarrassing having to pay that for that run down athletics stadium 

Wasn't at the first away game but is there a wee social club nearby? Are the pies worthy of their capital status?

2 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Why should it be a 100pc nailed on victory?

Still surprised at how many binos are under estimating your own very poor form.

Edinburgh are at home, have picked up 3x as many points as you have in last 3 games (okay it's only one win!). Stirling really struggling to score and pick up wins. 5/1 for an Edinburgh win is looking like a decent bet. Seen both teams recently and thought Edinburgh looked better, especially in the forward areas. They've been competitive in recent games.

I'm still really hoping you guys avoid 9th and we beat annan.

I've seen us all season home and away & stats can be deceiving & individual mistakes costly, but i am still confident without being arrogant that we will secure 3 points on Saturday 

Just now, SA45 said:

Wasn't at the first away game but is there a wee social club nearby? Are the pies worthy of their capital status?

Pies are rank rotten last visit...coffee was worse 😫 

Parking was a nightmare too as the Scottish masters snooker was on at the same time. 

Weather was honkin, got soaked, last game Thomo scored for us just before half time & Josh Cooper took over the 2nd half, 3 points & job done 

Just now, Beepee67 said:

I've seen us all season home and away & stats can be deceiving & individual mistakes costly, but i am still confident without being arrogant that we will secure 3 points on Saturday 

I agree about the individual mistakes but I think we've been psychologically damaged by the numerous heavy defeats, 0-5. 0-5, 0-4, 0-3, 1-5 etc. The only home games we've played really badly were the Alloa games, but against Falkirk and HA fought like tigers - that's strange IMO.