Questionable attire

21 hours ago, BFTD said:

Last time I was in, I noticed that Tesco stock AC/DC and Nirvana shirts in their vanishingly small section of men's clothes, so I presume that's how that happens. Nirvana is now safe dad music, and things like the Ramones logo just makes for an appealing design. I had a Motley Crue shirt when I was 9 because it was cheap, my mum liked the design, and neither of us knew who they were.

I don't really get why it bothers folk that people might wear their favourite band's shirts without knowing who they are; they don't get a discount at the supermarket for wearing it or anything, and maybe some people might listen to and enjoy their work as a result, giving the band some extra money. It's like when people get pissy because their favourite grindcore act has a hit with a cheesy pop song* - they've made stuff that you loved, why wouldn't you be happy that they've made a bit of cash?

* Hiya Brujeria, hiya pal!

Wearing band t shirts you don't know is the same as those fat American guys who walk around in military gear despite having no military experience at all. You're wearing it because you think others will think you're cool, which makes it a questionable choice. 

18 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Military c***s wearing their uniform when they're out shopping.

You wouldnt see some Asda c**t out with his white shirt and green tie on in the boozer of a saturday night.

In America they wear them when appearing on TV game shows.

23 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

It was Ramones t-shirts when I was a student. 

I've seen pre-schoolers wearing Ramones Tshirts.

I read elsewhere on t'internet (so it must be true) that Da Brudders have made more money from Tshirts than music formats.

My two shameful Tshirts are an AC/DC  "Black in Black and White" (back) with an SMϟFC logo (front) and a Ramones stylee one with Fitzy, Gunni, Aber, Somner & McGarvey replacing the band names - both bought from the club shop.

Edited by btb

14 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

My wife owns t-shirts and jumpers from Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Nirvana and Guns 'n' Roses. 

She doesn't listen to any of them, never has. 

I was down in Falkirk a while ago.

Saw this woman walking around wearing a cool Nirvana t-shirt while her husband was dressed in his Starfleet Uniform.

I wonder ...

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Wearing band t shirts you don't know is the same as those fat American guys who walk around in military gear despite having no military experience at all. You're wearing it because you think others will think you're cool, which makes it a questionable choice. 

Oh, it's potentially a questionable choice alright, I just don't get why it bothers some folk so much. Most people who own shirts by bands they don't listen to will have them because they saw it and liked the design; nothing more than that. It's a bit weird that people automatically transpose other motives onto strangers and care about their listening habits, considering them buying the shirt has presumably contributed to the profile and bank balances of the band. Seems a bit hipsterish.

Bet you can't name five songs by Nirvana anyway. If they're all from Nevermind you're a poseur. Also true if they're all from Bleach.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

Oh, it's potentially a questionable choice alright, I just don't get why it bothers some folk so much. Most people who own shirts by bands they don't listen to will have them because they saw it and liked the design; nothing more than that. It's a bit weird that people automatically transpose other motives onto strangers and care about their listening habits, considering them buying the shirt has presumably contributed to the profile and bank balances of the band. Seems a bit hipsterish.

Bet you can't name five songs by Nirvana anyway. If they're all from Nevermind you're a poseur. Also true if they're all from Bleach.

I don't think it's any different to judging people over any other branded gear tbh. It's unlikely Kurt Cobains estate or Dave Grohl are making massive money from George selling some black t shirts. The record companies or whoever owns the bands image rights will, with George or whatever other shit low end clothing outlet that is punting it taking the rest so I'm not sure that angle matters. 

8 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

You wouldnt see some Asda c**t out with his white shirt and green tie on in the boozer of a saturday night.

I know a gaggle of boys themat drive the busses in Dundee and are always out for pints with it on.

I thoroughly enjoy speaking to them at their table and when one inevitably brings up work asking "what is it you dae then?".

10 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

"Thank you for your self-service sir"

10 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

they get preferential treatment at some places - discounts, Q jumping e.g.

cos they've "seen action" like...

Palm Angels, Moschino and Billionaire Boys Club t shirts, not only do they look awful but they cost a fortune and it seems like every guy in their early 20s is wearing them. More recently it’s been “Represent Yacht Owners Club” gear as well. 

In Glasgow last year, on the day of an Old Firm, I saw a guy wearing an “Operation Flavius” SAS top that was in the style of a football jersey that had been made on Microsoft Paint and the quality was ten times worse than any dodgy Chinese site. Quick google of the operation showed that it was about some IRA guys killed in Gibraltar and their funerals were the ones where Michael Stone attacked. The lovely gentleman wearing it looked about 50 and weighted about 50 stone.