Questionable attire

42 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Has anyone mentioned those who wear AC/DC or Nirvana T Shirts, but wouldn’t know an AC/DC or Nirvana song if Angus Young and Dave Grohl hit them over the head with a guitar?

That makes no sense.  If somebody hit me over the head with a guitar I would probably be unconcious and wouldn't know anything.

46 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Has anyone mentioned those who wear AC/DC or Nirvana T Shirts, but wouldn’t know an AC/DC or Nirvana song if Angus Young and Dave Grohl hit them over the head with a guitar?

It was Ramones t-shirts when I was a student. 

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Last time I was in, I noticed that Tesco stock AC/DC and Nirvana shirts in their vanishingly small section of men's clothes, so I presume that's how that happens. Nirvana is now safe dad music, and things like the Ramones logo just makes for an appealing design. I had a Motley Crue shirt when I was 9 because it was cheap, my mum liked the design, and neither of us knew who they were.

I don't really get why it bothers folk that people might wear their favourite band's shirts without knowing who they are; they don't get a discount at the supermarket for wearing it or anything, and maybe some people might listen to and enjoy their work as a result, giving the band some extra money. It's like when people get pissy because their favourite grindcore act has a hit with a cheesy pop song* - they've made stuff that you loved, why wouldn't you be happy that they've made a bit of cash?

* Hiya Brujeria, hiya pal!

I’d Iron Maiden t shirts when I was 12-14 because they had cool pictures (seventh son of a seventh son was one I remember well, I think I had the Trooper too without any inkling that it had associations). I had my first proper girlfriend when I was 15 and had stopped wearing metal tees. Coincidence?

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Last time I was in, I noticed that Tesco stock AC/DC and Nirvana shirts in their vanishingly small section of men's clothes, so I presume that's how that happens. Nirvana is now safe dad music, and things like the Ramones logo just makes for an appealing design. I had a Motley Crue shirt when I was 9 because it was cheap, my mum liked the design, and neither of us knew who they were.

I don't really get why it bothers folk that people might wear their favourite band's shirts without knowing who they are; they don't get a discount at the supermarket for wearing it or anything, and maybe some people might listen to and enjoy their work as a result, giving the band some extra money. It's like when people get pissy because their favourite grindcore act has a hit with a cheesy pop song* - they've made stuff that you loved, why wouldn't you be happy that they've made a bit of cash?

* Hiya Brujeria, hiya pal!

My favourite bands are Rush and Wolf Alice. Haven’t seen anyone wearing a glittery ‘Caress of Steel’ fashion T Shirt yet. 😜

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Same with Joy Division Unknown Pleasures and Pink Floyd DSOTM t-shirts.

More to do with the iconic designs I suspect.

See also Las Vegas Raiders NFL T Shirts. I suppose the ‘ultimate’ example of this are NY Yankees baseball caps. Everywhere… clearly no-one (or 99% of them anyway) wearing one is actually a baseball fan, it’s just about the logo. As an NFL fan myself, if I see someone wearing a Raiders item, I generally don’t reckon they’ll be into the sport. I saw a guy in my local Tesco recently wearing an old Reebok era Cincinatti Bengals jersey, said ‘Go Bengals’ to him in passing, and he was a fan. Was too niche a jersey to be a ‘fashion choice’ item. 
Doesn’t always work out, but you can usually differentiate between a fan, or someone who went to Lids and came out with a Raiders cap.

27 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

See also Las Vegas Raiders NFL T Shirts. I suppose the ‘ultimate’ example of this are NY Yankees baseball caps. Everywhere… clearly no-one (or 99% of them anyway) wearing one is actually a baseball fan, it’s just about the logo. As an NFL fan myself, if I see someone wearing a Raiders item, I generally don’t reckon they’ll be into the sport. I saw a guy in my local Tesco recently wearing an old Reebok era Cincinatti Bengals jersey, said ‘Go Bengals’ to him in passing, and he was a fan. Was too niche a jersey to be a ‘fashion choice’ item. 
Doesn’t always work out, but you can usually differentiate between a fan, or someone who went to Lids and came out with a Raiders cap.

It was Chicago Bears stuff when I was a wee boy. I don't think anyone even gave any thought to what sport they played, just that it was one of those weird American ones.

I assumed they must be the best, but aren't they a bit shite in reality?

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It was Chicago Bears stuff when I was a wee boy. I don't think anyone even gave any thought to what sport they played, just that it was one of those weird American ones.

I assumed they must be the best, but aren't they a bit shite in reality?

They were the best in 1985. Had a ‘thing’ going with ‘The Fridge’ and a maverick QB in McMahon. Won the Super Bowl. Like my own team, they are indeed currently ‘a bit shite’. 😎

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

2 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

It was Ramones t-shirts when I was a student. 

Actually it was only one design that accounted for most of the sales - the Arturo Vega design that appears on the Leave Home album.

If you wear any one of the other designs such as Rocket to Russia or Road to Ruin then the exact same people would have no idea who it is. (except the name RAMONES obviously)

3 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Actually it was only one design that accounted for most of the sales - the Arturo Vega design that appears on the Leave Home album.

If you wear any one of the other designs such as Rocket to Russia or Road to Ruin then the exact same people would have no idea who it is. (except the name RAMONES obviously)

Is it the parody of the US presidential seal? That's the one I remember being on wee lassies t-shirts. 

It also begs the question of did The Ramones rip that off from Aerosmith or did Aerosmith steal it from The Ramones? 

8 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Is it the parody of the US presidential seal? That's the one I remember being on wee lassies t-shirts. 

It also begs the question of did The Ramones rip that off from Aerosmith or did Aerosmith steal it from The Ramones? 

The Ramones were the first.  They made more money from t-shirts than they did from records and tickets. 

Ritchie Ramone quit the band because he wasn't getting a cut on t-shirt sales.

I watched a YouTube short of a ahop called "Lids" somewhere in England. It's a baseball cap shop. Their selling point is they'll 'bend' your peak to a shape you choose.

What's wrong with just using  your hands, like normal people?

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I wear Raiders "gear" but I am actually a Raiders fan.

1 hour ago, Derry Alli said:

I watched a YouTube short of a ahop called "Lids" somewhere in England. It's a baseball cap shop. Their selling point is they'll 'bend' your peak to a shape you choose.

What's wrong with just using  your hands, like normal people?

There's a Lids in Braehead. Its a pretty common American shop.

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

They were the best in 1985. Had a ‘thing’ going with ‘The Fridge’ and a maverick QB in McMahon. Won the Super Bowl. Like my own team, they are indeed currently ‘a bit shite’. 😎

Yes, I had a Fridge sweater when I was a wee boy in 1985! Had absolutely no idea who he was, but I've modelled my physique on him ever since.

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

British people should not be wearing baseball caps. We have a perfectly good system of flat caps, bowlers and top hats. Whatever next, stetsons? 

Baseball caps are possibly more popular in Scotland than in America; at least parts of it.

I used to hate them, but they're great for keeping rain off your glasses, the sun out of your eyes (when it appears), and you can scrunch them up and stick them in your jacket pocket. It's like a flat cap, only better at the job.

But then, I used to wear a cowboy hat until a train stole it. Recommended if you want strangers to keep you constantly informed of what direction the injuns were headed, which is always useful information.