Questionable attire

6 hours ago, pozbaird said:

The T Shirts I see most in America that you don’t really see here, are the ones lauding the military and the flag. Over here, if you see anything in that ballpark, it’s usually a ‘Help For Heroes’ charity T Shirt. Over there, the vibe I get from the T Shirts is ‘God - Family - America - Garth Brooks - In that order’…. That kind of vibe. I’m seriously not knocking the military, but if I see anyone in one of those T Shirts, I immediately think ‘do not engage in conversation’.

There is a weird “requirement” in the U.S. that a proclamation of American Exceptionalism is mandated to show you’re a “true ‘Merican”! Watching politics over the past 50 years or so, the steady expansion of the mandatory small U.S. flag lapel pin to nearly all politicians now has been amusing, while the codification of phrases on election signs gets steadily more annoying (“conservative”, “hard-line”, “responsible” “true American”, “veteran” being the right-wing go to’s).

See also the National anthem being played before professional sports matches.

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

See also Las Vegas Raiders NFL T Shirts. I suppose the ‘ultimate’ example of this are NY Yankees baseball caps. Everywhere… clearly no-one (or 99% of them anyway) wearing one is actually a baseball fan, it’s just about the logo. As an NFL fan myself, if I see someone wearing a Raiders item, I generally don’t reckon they’ll be into the sport. I saw a guy in my local Tesco recently wearing an old Reebok era Cincinatti Bengals jersey, said ‘Go Bengals’ to him in passing, and he was a fan. Was too niche a jersey to be a ‘fashion choice’ item. 
Doesn’t always work out, but you can usually differentiate between a fan, or someone who went to Lids and came out with a Raiders cap.

Easy Lids patron differentiation is the casual buyer leaves the labels and tags on, unless they are sub-12 y-o. I also use the team as a rough determinant of the likelihood the wearer is a fan. With the expansion of front-running, Kansas City football tops (for instance) are now at least 95% posers, while old school “brands” with “reputations” (see Raiders, Oakland/LA/Las Vegas) are about 75% status/association related.

2 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

I watched a YouTube short of a ahop called "Lids" somewhere in England. It's a baseball cap shop. Their selling point is they'll 'bend' your peak to a shape you choose.

What's wrong with just using  your hands, like normal people?

On 27/04/2024 at 10:00, Richey Edwards said:

I am currently in Ayr and someone was walking down the High Street wearing a pro-Trump hoodie.

Why would you even wear that unless you wish to mark yourself out as a tit?

Lids is really big here simply because it’s low inventory diversity and storage space and fills nearly any small-sized closed mall store easily. Bending peaks is complex for the buyers, it takes time and action.

As for tits, I’m all for marking them out for observation.

I think the things that offend the eyes the most for me is a gilet/body warmer, suits and bucket hats.  

No doubt some will disagree on suits.  

6 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Same with Joy Division Unknown Pleasures and Pink Floyd DSOTM t-shirts.

More to do with the iconic designs I suspect.

Joy Division Oven Gloves anyone? 

Also perhaps it's blindingly obvious but in this "Questionable Attire" thread no-one has mentioned wearing The Cheeks branded clothing

25 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I think the things that offend the eyes the most for me is a gilet/body warmer, suits and bucket hats.  

Is that a common combination round your way?

8 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Is that a common combination round your way?

The combination would look no more ridiculous than any item already does.  

38 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Stone Island.

Stone Island for the young team is fine.

Stone Island on 50+, pot bellied da's looking to recapture their youth whilst seeking a scrap at a derby game etc. should be automatic jail time.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Joy Division Oven Gloves anyone? 

Also perhaps it's blindingly obvious but in this "Questionable Attire" thread no-one has mentioned wearing The Cheeks branded clothing

That would go nicely with my Madness tea towel.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

There is a weird “requirement” in the U.S. that a proclamation of American Exceptionalism is mandated to show you’re a “true ‘Merican”! Watching politics over the past 50 years or so, the steady expansion of the mandatory small U.S. flag lapel pin to nearly all politicians now has been amusing, while the codification of phrases on election signs gets steadily more annoying (“conservative”, “hard-line”, “responsible” “true American”, “veteran” being the right-wing go to’s).

See also the National anthem being played before professional sports matches.

Easy Lids patron differentiation is the casual buyer leaves the labels and tags on, unless they are sub-12 y-o. I also use the team as a rough determinant of the likelihood the wearer is a fan. With the expansion of front-running, Kansas City football tops (for instance) are now at least 95% posers, while old school “brands” with “reputations” (see Raiders, Oakland/LA/Las Vegas) are about 75% status/association related.

Lids is really big here simply because it’s low inventory diversity and storage space and fills nearly any small-sized closed mall store easily. Bending peaks is complex for the buyers, it takes time and action.

As for tits, I’m all for marking them out for observation.

I read it differently.  America is a country of immigrants and they took the view early on that you become an American as soon as you step off the boat.  Basically an Italian American is 90% American and only 10% Italian and not the other way around.

This means everyone has to do the pledge of allegiance and singing the anthem even at nursery school (don't know why you thought it was restricted to professional matches).

Some people think this conformity extends to practically everything.  That is when patriotism goes overboard.

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:

Passed someone wearing a Burzum hoodie. Varg Vikernes isn't a very nice person.

Going back to the "wearing t-shirts for bands you've never heard" thing, some female celebrity was given a Burzum shirt to wear recently, without knowing she was tacitly endorsing the music of a Nazi murderer, arsonist, and Mrs Brown's Boys fan. Can't remember who as I'm old.

Wonder how long before 2000s music becomes retro and some poor kid is seen out in a lostprophets shirt.

Edit: it was Zara Larsson, and it was a dress. Still no idea.

Video linked purely for science.

Edited by BFTD

11 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Going back to the "wearing t-shirts for bands you've never heard" thing, some female celebrity was given a Burzum shirt to wear recently, without knowing she was tacitly endorsing the music of a Nazi murderer, arsonist, and Mrs Brown's Boys fan. Can't remember who as I'm old.

Wonder how long before 2000s music becomes retro and some poor kid is seen out in a lostprophets shirt.

Edit: it was Zara Larsson, and it was a dress. Still no idea.

Video linked purely for science.

Aye, she should take that off.

31 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I read it differently.  America is a country of immigrants and they took the view early on that you become an American as soon as you step off the boat.  Basically an Italian American is 90% American and only 10% Italian and not the other way around.

This means everyone has to do the pledge of allegiance and singing the anthem even at nursery school (don't know why you thought it was restricted to professional matches).

Some people think this conformity extends to practically everything.  That is when patriotism goes overboard.

I'm well aware of the overboard propensity...hell, here in Texas the Pledge of Allegiance is followed by the Texas Pledge. The National Anthem, rather than the Pledge, is used at professional sporting events, but involves the same standing at attention, dofting hats and hand over heart.

I strongly disagree with your 90/10 position. The importance many Americans place upon have an "ethnic" background is pretty insane. They proudly recite how their ancestor trapped squirrels in the Alamo in 1836, but how they are Scottish-American because that same neds (who was there on the run from the polis in New York) parents were from Berwick.

"Irish-Americans" and "Italian-Americans" are especially mouthy and proud about their provenance, imagine OF fans.

The conformity thing especially applies when its an uppity minority who isn't standing, back straight, with hand on heart.

I can't believe that baseball cap shops have made it over here. They were about the only things left in the half-empty Southwest malls last time I was over, and I was assuming they weren't paying rent or were money laundering fronts.

4 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Bucket hats are for twats, although I can appreciate how they may prevent sunburn at outdoor gigs in summer.

Suits are for Jehovah's Witnesses and the accused in a grisly court case.

I do have a Taion gilet. It's warm and lightweight. I think it looks cool, but I'm sure that most people think that I look like a total fud when I wear it. I can live with that.

5 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Ill fitting suits do look ridiculous, especially if it's too big you can easily end up looking like that girl singing by some graveside funeral in Glasgow. Not the look.

38 minutes ago, 101 said:

Ill fitting suits do look ridiculous, especially if it's too big you can easily end up looking like that girl singing by some graveside funeral in Glasgow. Not the look.

Stop making sense.

5 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Stone Island for the young team is fine.

Stone Island on 50+, pot bellied da's looking to recapture their youth whilst seeking a scrap at a derby game etc. should be automatic jail time.

They wear Belstaff.