Questionable attire

3 hours ago, Shotgun said:

A popular t-shirt among the roaster demographic here at the moment has a graphic of the 'Murkan fleg and the caption "If this flag offends you, I'll help you pack." Now, I can guaranchuffingtee that I hang around with a lot more liberals than any of those deep thinkers but I haven't met a single person who is "offended" by the fleg. Not one. Offended by politicians hiding behind it as they commit atrocities, yes. But that's a different conversation.

Anyway, I saw one of these babies earlier this week.

71iyIFKA6pL._AC_UL480_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

They really do seem to struggle with the difference between "offend" and "disagree", don't they?

I think it comes down to, "I really, really, really wish someone would be offended by me like I read about on the internet". Probably more about attention than actual beliefs.

Someone needs to come out with a straight-faced range featuring those kinds of try-hard tough guy slogans, only with the kind of art that would cause conniptions, like those Death Metal shirts with rainbows and happy bunnies. Not like being mocked would cause offence or anything.

468757a.jpg?sfrm=png

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I think it comes down to, "I really, really, really wish someone would be offended by me like I read about on the internet". Probably more about attention than actual beliefs.

Someone needs to come out with a straight-faced range featuring those kinds of try-hard tough guy slogans, only with the kind of art that would cause conniptions, like those Death Metal shirts with rainbows and happy bunnies. Not like being mocked would cause offence or anything.

468757a.jpg?sfrm=png

A little offtopic, but that is reminiscent of Dunfermline's very own Party Cannon, who are a fairly standard death metal troupe with a fairly nonstandard death metal monicker. Here's how well they fit-in on their posters:

0NeJuEN.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

A little offtopic, but that is reminiscent of Dunfermline's very own Party Cannon, who are a fairly standard death metal troupe with a fairly nonstandard death metal monicker. Here's how well they fit-in on their posters:

0NeJuEN.jpeg

Tremendous. More of this sort of thing.

Love the daft Death Metal logos. Hope Party Cannon enjoyed sharing a stage with...Spastic Cauldron?  :huh: Wolf King and No Altars really letting the side down there; no wonder they're at the bottom of the bill.

Was in the pub with the wife a few weeks back and a guy came in with a Cole Buxton tshirt on. This was a plain black tshirt with a small print of the name on the left hand side of the chest, basically a plain black fruit of the loom tshirt exactly like a work place would have made for their staff. That tshirt cost £85, how do people get conned by this pish or expect me to believe it isn't fake gear? Absolutely no though in the design just a small name printed on a plain black tshirt. Surely no chance are people paying full price for this pish? I work in a pretty horrible environment that ruins your clothes and some people turn up everyday In designer gear, I know how much they roughly earn you'll never convince me your paying for legit designer clothing.

I'm a big fan of the head to toe in nike look. Was at a show where they got parents to volunteer from the crowd and one guy had a co ordinated set of trainers, socks, shorts (like sports shorts material), t shirt, tracksuit top and a cap, all in a lovely mushroomy beige with prominent logos. Mercifully no sweatbands. Even at half price that must be £300 to look like a twelve year old. Gimp. 

I went to a large tourist attraction a few years ago with my family. It was a kind of model village showing how people in the local area lived in years gone by, I think it’s called a living museum.

One guy who was walking about had a t-shirt on that had a slogan on that I couldn’t quite recall, I think it said something like “Avoid me if humour easily offends you!”. There was another guy there who had a T shirt with the slogan - “Old: ✅ / Grumpy ✅ / Lefty ✅

I imagined that you could write a sitcom or at least a humorous play about the two of them becoming stuck in one of the exhibitions but it would doubtless be like them - boring, self absorbed and predictable.

8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I went to a large tourist attraction a few years ago with my family. It was a kind of model village showing how people in the local area lived in years gone by, I think it’s called a living museum.

One guy who was walking about had a t-shirt on that had a slogan on that I couldn’t quite recall, I think it said something like “Avoid me if humour easily offends you!”. There was another guy there who had a T shirt with the slogan - “Old: ✅ / Grumpy ✅ / Lefty ✅

I imagined that you could write a sitcom or at least a humorous play about the two of them becoming stuck in one of the exhibitions but it would doubtless be like them - boring, self absorbed and predictable.

Was it two random guys?

The T Shirts I see most in America that you don’t really see here, are the ones lauding the military and the flag. Over here, if you see anything in that ballpark, it’s usually a ‘Help For Heroes’ charity T Shirt. Over there, the vibe I get from the T Shirts is ‘God - Family - America - Garth Brooks - In that order’…. That kind of vibe. I’m seriously not knocking the military, but if I see anyone in one of those T Shirts, I immediately think ‘do not engage in conversation’.

In regard to knock-off white socks being sold in Chicago… I can only think of one thing….

‘Sport socks, err the sport socks, two pound the sport socks’…

’And do you have a location for your new business?’

’Aye. Sauchiehall Street’.

’Whereabouts on Sauchiehall Street?’

’All of it’.

1 hour ago, thomas said:

Was in the pub with the wife a few weeks back and a guy came in with a Cole Buxton tshirt on. This was a plain black tshirt with a small print of the name on the left hand side of the chest, basically a plain black fruit of the loom tshirt exactly like a work place would have made for their staff. That tshirt cost £85, how do people get conned by this pish or expect me to believe it isn't fake gear? Absolutely no though in the design just a small name printed on a plain black tshirt. Surely no chance are people paying full price for this pish? I work in a pretty horrible environment that ruins your clothes and some people turn up everyday In designer gear, I know how much they roughly earn you'll never convince me your paying for legit designer clothing.

The issue is that sweatshops and factories are good enough that they can bootleg most practical clothes (i.e. anything other than the outlandish dresses you get at fashion shows and big Hollywood soirees) to a reasonable degree that nobody who isn't an expert would notice. Whereas two hundred years ago, rich people could distinguish themselves by the craftsmanship quality of their bespoke clothing, that's less practical for the post-industrial mass-manufactured age.

So if you are a big-name brand, you have to distinguish yourself by actually slapping your brand logo on the clothing so people know it's yours and not someone elses (because it's easier for the law to clobber forged trademarks than it is to go through the fuzzy process of deciding what is and isn't copyright infringement in clothing). A designer label on a cheap T-shirt is as good for product-distinction purposes as a designer label on a fancier piece of clothing. Expensive words on a cheap T-shirt is what you need to impress status-obsessed idiots. There is some sort of logic to it.

Of course, we should have a society without said status-obsessed idiots, but that's pretty hard to engineer.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

50 minutes ago, tinkerbelle said:

Crocks and socks.

Ok we’ve got a title. Who wants to start on the pilot episode?

Has anyone mentioned those who wear AC/DC or Nirvana T Shirts, but wouldn’t know an AC/DC or Nirvana song if Angus Young and Dave Grohl hit them over the head with a guitar?

21 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Has anyone mentioned those who wear AC/DC or Nirvana T Shirts, but wouldn’t know an AC/DC or Nirvana song if Angus Young and Dave Grohl hit them over the head with a guitar?

Last time I was in, I noticed that Tesco stock AC/DC and Nirvana shirts in their vanishingly small section of men's clothes, so I presume that's how that happens. Nirvana is now safe dad music, and things like the Ramones logo just makes for an appealing design. I had a Motley Crue shirt when I was 9 because it was cheap, my mum liked the design, and neither of us knew who they were.

I don't really get why it bothers folk that people might wear their favourite band's shirts without knowing who they are; they don't get a discount at the supermarket for wearing it or anything, and maybe some people might listen to and enjoy their work as a result, giving the band some extra money. It's like when people get pissy because their favourite grindcore act has a hit with a cheesy pop song* - they've made stuff that you loved, why wouldn't you be happy that they've made a bit of cash?

* Hiya Brujeria, hiya pal!