Firstscotrail Whatever The Feck They're Called

Rugster

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking forward to their introduction of the £5 advance ticket between any two Scottish cities. As craigkillie pointed out on his twitter earlier, the stuff of dreams for away days.

£7.50 for First Class, if you prefer to sip your Tennents in peace.

http://www.abellio.com/news/abellio-awarded-contract-operate-scotlands-national-railway-scotrail

Sounds really promising from their proposals. Free wifi on all trains in Scotland as well.

Those on the dole get reduced fares too

Free (unreliable) Wi Fi on a lot of trains already. I seem to recall that the requirement to provide Wi Fi in all trains was in the bidding spec so whoever was awarded the franchise should have been providing this.

£7.50 for First Class, if you prefer to sip your Tennents in peace.

http://www.abellio.com/news/abellio-awarded-contract-operate-scotlands-national-railway-scotrail

Excellent prices indeed. I'm always buying my train tickets in advance for the football so this sounds fantastic. All I need now is the SPFL to move fixtures around with more notice rather than just a month or so. Can't see those advance tickets being around for long at those prices when they go on sale - like the £1 Megabus seats there's only a finite supply.

Given that the margins First group claimed they were making were tiny, I would doubt that they will be able to meet all their promises.

First group shares were only down about 3% so they don't see it as that bad a loss. Could be anothe East coast scenario of handing back the franchise after a wee while.

Has anybody ever successfully loaded a webpage or stayed connected for more than 2 minutes on scotrails shitty WiFi?

My only worry is that they seem to generally focussed on the intercity service. I can see smaller stations like mine being squeezed and even closed although this was always on the cards with scotrail.

Excellent prices indeed. I'm always buying my train tickets in advance for the football so this sounds fantastic. All I need now is the SPFL to move fixtures around with more notice rather than just a month or so. Can't see those advance tickets being around for long at those prices when they go on sale - like the £1 Megabus seats there's only a finite supply.

Aye. I'm intrigued to know what the upper end of those fares are. £5 standard and £7.50 first class fares sound great in principle, but less so when there's only 3 seats at those prices, with the rest being equally or more expensive than what's there already.

Nonetheless, happy to have another group of folk to moan about.

Abellio run the Greater Anglia franchise down here - they are regularly panned for poor customer satisfaction.

Still, anything that gets it up First group is a plus and at least they're making positive noises unlike First who generally can't be arsed. Sadly, First got the Great Western franchise extended for five years without a formal bidding process.

Time will tell if they follow through with their promises, although my experiences here show First Scotrail were actually not as bad as I thought they were.

Aye. I'm intrigued to know what the upper end of those fares are. £5 standard and £7.50 first class fares sound great in principle, but less so when there's only 3 seats at those prices, with the rest being equally or more expensive than what's there already.

Nonetheless, happy to have another group of folk to moan about.

Dundee to Glasgow or edinburgh is only 6.90 at the moment for advance tickets if you get them early enough. Can't see this making a huge difference.

See how it's £5 advance for any 2 cities, will that be reflected in the season tickets do you think? A monthly ticket between glasgow and Edinburgh costs about £300 but that would mean I could just get 5 daily advance tickets every week and save a fortune

Dundee to Glasgow or edinburgh is only 6.90 at the moment for advance tickets if you get them early enough. Can't see this making a huge difference.

Aye, that's what I'm wondering. If there's any improvement, or extension of these then great, if there's less than there is now, then obviously, that's pish.

More details required, intrigued. Not massively heartened by the fact that they run other franchises with poor feedback.

I don't.

Pissed wankers are a nightmare on a train.

Pissed wankers generally aren't caused by drinking on the train. They're usually just using it as transport after they have been drinking in pubs. People who drink on trains are usually relatively sober, hence why they are drinking.

Pissed wankers generally aren't caused by drinking on the train. They're usually just using it as transport after they have been drinking in pubs. People who drink on trains are usually relatively sober, hence why they are drinking.

Seconded, the alcohol ban on Scotrail trains is ill thought out, ineffective and completely unnecessary.

Archived