The Kate Forbes thread

Sonam

12 hours ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Statement from the Indian Council of Scotland:

I should have stopped reading at "I have never met Kate Forbes" as the rest is all just speculative fiction. 

1 minute ago, Dan Steele said:

However a new leader is finally reached, get this pish about a 'coronation' stopped right now. 

If there's a vote I hope they make it a much quicker process than last time, it would last right through to the Euros if they don't hurry it up. Even the candidates looked bored of their speeches and couldn't even be bothered arguing with each other by the end. Most of the hustings were for party insiders only, I certainly never got offered a ticket as a member. 

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If there's a vote I hope they make it a much quicker process than last time, it would last right through to the Euros if they don't hurry it up. Even the candidates looked bored of their speeches and couldn't even be bothered arguing with each other by the end. Most of the hustings were for party insiders only, I certainly never got offered a ticket as a member. 

Definitely hoping for a quick process. Yes, the last one did seem to grind to a halt towards the end. Viewing figures of about 5 if it runs into the Euros!

13 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

SandyCromarty is mistaken.

Lord Mackay was an elder in the Free Presbyterian CofS (the 'Wee Wee Frees'), a conservative minority which had left the Free Church of Scotland (the 'Frees') in 1893... Forbes belongs to the conservative minority of the latter (the 'Wee Frees') who didn't unite with United Presbyterian Church in 1900 to form the United Free Church... However in a more contemporary context she belongs to a liberal majority the FC Continuing left in 2000.

Ian Blackford is also a 'Wee Free' - as was Gordon Wilson.

Mackay and a liberal minority left the FPs in 1989 forming Associated Presbyterian Churches. (Incidentally the APC has since declined to only 6 congregations; only Inverness + Stornoway still have their own churchbuilding).

There hasn't been a Scottish church census since 2016, but on 2nd Sunday in May that year Church of Scotland attendance was 136,910... Free Church (i.e. Forbes & Blackford's denomination) 10,210... UFs 3,220... FC Continuing 830... other presbyterians combined (FPs + APC i.e. Mackay's denomination + RPs + IPC) 2,180.

ted.jpg.78036ebf66c989f827204c52ca0d5c42.jpg

14 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

SandyCromarty is mistaken.

Lord Mackay was an elder in the Free Presbyterian CofS (the 'Wee Wee Frees'), a conservative minority which had left the Free Church of Scotland (the 'Frees') in 1893... Forbes belongs to the conservative minority of the latter (the 'Wee Frees') who didn't unite with United Presbyterian Church in 1900 to form the United Free Church... However in a more contemporary context she belongs to a liberal majority the FC Continuing left in 2000.

Ian Blackford is also a 'Wee Free' - as was Gordon Wilson.

Mackay and a liberal minority left the FPs in 1989 forming Associated Presbyterian Churches. (Incidentally the APC has since declined to only 6 congregations; only Inverness + Stornoway still have their own churchbuilding).

There hasn't been a Scottish church census since 2016, but on 2nd Sunday in May that year Church of Scotland attendance was 136,910... Free Church (i.e. Forbes & Blackford's denomination) 10,210... UFs 3,220... FC Continuing 830... other presbyterians combined (FPs + APC i.e. Mackay's denomination + RPs + IPC) 2,180.

These figures include season tickets and free entry for school kids though.

18 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Lord Mackay of Clashfern, the Lord Chancellor and top law officer in Margaret Thatchers government, an Invernessian and the son of a railway worker was severely admonished by the Free Church for attending the funeral of two Roman Catholic colleagues in London, he was suspended as an elder and asked to repent and vow that he would not attend a Catholic service again.

The Free Church regarded a Roman Catholic Mass as an abomination against god.

He resigned from the Free Church and worshipped in the Associated Presbyterian Church here in Inverness.

He had an illustrious career from humble beginnings but in religion he stood by his principles.

What specifically is your point?  The Popes used to provide a licence to the Portugese to pillage Africa, and more recently covers up a whole host of nastiness.  What does that have to do with the ordinary catholic?  Or the Episcopalian leader right now is a meglomaniac, was the Labour guy that won in Rutherglen recently painted as so?  Muslims... I mean, it's not like Yousaf was implementing Sharia Law.  That would be, dare I say, probably a racist thing to even say.

I'm confused by this.

Wee Frees have been part of communities int the north for a long time.  People are a product of their environment, it doesn't mean they are going about causing problems for people.  They're no more whacky than any other christian identity in the grand scheme of things.  

I won't be voting for Forbes but if she gets the gig, I'll give her backing.

So, if both stand and Forbes wins..the Greens won't vote for her when it comes to Holyrood meaning she couldn't be FM.

Meanwhile if Swinney wins but does so by giving her a top Cabinet job (possibly deputy), the Greens again presumably can't vote it through at Holyrood.

So..is it not the case now that the Greens will only support a Swinney Coronation (which doesn't include Forbes in a top job)?

It's incredible that these cranks will continue to wield so much power and effectively get to decide who the FM is.

If they can't get a Candidate passed by Holyrood vote they have 28 days to put another one forward which the Greens can vote for.

29 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

So, if both stand and Forbes wins..the Greens won't vote for her when it comes to Holyrood meaning she couldn't be FM.

Meanwhile if Swinney wins but does so by giving her a top Cabinet job (possibly deputy), the Greens again presumably can't vote it through at Holyrood.

So..is it not the case now that the Greens will only support a Swinney Coronation (which doesn't include Forbes in a top job)?

It's incredible that these cranks will continue to wield so much power and effectively get to decide who the FM is.

If they can't get a Candidate passed by Holyrood vote they have 28 days to put another one forward which the Greens can vote for.

Forbes could go to other parties and try and work with them to abstain.  When Salmond first formed a government, the Greens voted with him but the Tories and Lib Dems abstained, allowing him to form an administration.

I think that Scottish politics is a different place now and that there is little apetite in either the SNP or the Tories to co-operate.  In addition, the SNP government is currently in a very rocky place and the opposition might look at this and think, what's to be gained by us propping them up?  If the Tories fancy playing some 4D chess, they could abstain for Forbes knowing that that will cause merry hell within the SNP. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tirso said:

What specifically is your point?  The Popes used to provide a licence to the Portugese to pillage Africa, and more recently covers up a whole host of nastiness.  What does that have to do with the ordinary catholic?  Or the Episcopalian leader right now is a meglomaniac, was the Labour guy that won in Rutherglen recently painted as so?  Muslims... I mean, it's not like Yousaf was implementing Sharia Law.  That would be, dare I say, probably a racist thing to even say.

I'm confused by this.

Wee Frees have been part of communities int the north for a long time.  People are a product of their environment, it doesn't mean they are going about causing problems for people.  They're no more whacky than any other christian identity in the grand scheme of things.  

I won't be voting for Forbes but if she gets the gig, I'll give her backing.

Better watch out saying things like that.  That's the problem with religions chock full of sects. Reading what you said, some Christians might get so annoyed that they drop their snake and have to start their dance again. 

Edit... Jeezo, my edit function on my phone is doing my head in... I'll leave it to end with  "drop their snake".

Edit edit... Well, no. Just seen a video... Some do dance with them.  As you were.

Edited by Salt n Vinegar
Clarification

56 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

Aye, there's only eight times as many Tory, Labour and Lib MSPs as there are Greens. The Greens hold all the power for sure.