The Kate Forbes thread

Sonam

Just heard Fergus Ewing on the radio bleating on about Forbes, what an absolute loser that man is.

45 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Forbes could go to other parties and try and work with them to abstain.  When Salmond first formed a government, the Greens voted with him but the Tories and Lib Dems abstained, allowing him to form an administration.

I think that Scottish politics is a different place now and that there is little apetite in either the SNP or the Tories to co-operate.  In addition, the SNP government is currently in a very rocky place and the opposition might look at this and think, what's to be gained by us propping them up?  If the Tories fancy playing some 4D chess, they could abstain for Forbes knowing that that will cause merry hell within the SNP. 

Then again it might be the Tories' only opportunity to be in government somewhere in the UK at Christmas time.

53 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

Aye, there's only eight times as many Tory, Labour and Lib MSPs as there are Greens. The Greens hold all the power for sure.

And they may well do again if Swinney decides to court them.

1 hour ago, Jedi2 said:

So, if both stand and Forbes wins..the Greens won't vote for her when it comes to Holyrood meaning she couldn't be FM.

Meanwhile if Swinney wins but does so by giving her a top Cabinet job (possibly deputy), the Greens again presumably can't vote it through at Holyrood.

So..is it not the case now that the Greens will only support a Swinney Coronation (which doesn't include Forbes in a top job)?

It's incredible that these cranks will continue to wield so much power and effectively get to decide who the FM is.

If they can't get a Candidate passed by Holyrood vote they have 28 days to put another one forward which the Greens can vote for.

I'm fairly confident the Greens would back an SNP Government with Swinney in charge and Forbes in a top role like business or something, so long as they didn't start cutting child benefits and banning abortion. Harvey and Slater wanted to stay on when they cut zero emission targets ffs. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Forbes could go to other parties and try and work with them to abstain.  When Salmond first formed a government, the Greens voted with him but the Tories and Lib Dems abstained, allowing him to form an administration.

I think that Scottish politics is a different place now and that there is little apetite in either the SNP or the Tories to co-operate.  In addition, the SNP government is currently in a very rocky place and the opposition might look at this and think, what's to be gained by us propping them up?  If the Tories fancy playing some 4D chess, they could abstain for Forbes knowing that that will cause merry hell within the SNP. 

Fact is given the PR system it is unlikely we will see an outright majority party at Holyrood so coalitions to govern outright will be the norm.

Arsehole Cole Hamilton would relish a pilot fish cosy with Labour.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm fairly confident the Greens would back an SNP Government with Swinney in charge and Forbes in a top role like business or something, so long as they didn't start cutting child benefits and banning abortion. Harvey and Slater wanted to stay on when they cut zero emission targets ffs. 

I would agree with that scenario.

There is support for Forbes among the membership including two of my own family and giving Forbes a cabinet job would satisfy them, just as long as the job didn't include close liaison committee work with the greens.

18 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

HY managed to be washing his hair when this vote went down.

He was apparently quite active for gay rights before he became an MSP. Forbes wasn't.

11 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Fact is given the PR system it is unlikely we will see an outright majority party at Holyrood so coalitions to govern outright will be the norm.

Arsehole Cole Hamilton would relish a pilot fish cosy with Labour.

He is a maniac.

1 hour ago, Alan Twelve said:

Aye, there's only eight times as many Tory, Labour and Lib MSPs as there are Greens. The Greens hold all the power for sure.

I can't see how the SNP can have a confidence and supply/coalition arrangement with a party that would vote down any attempt to seek another independence vote. 

4 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I can't see how the SNP can have a confidence and supply/coalition arrangement with a party that would vote down any attempt to seek another independence vote. 

The other three London based parties are very much against Scottish Independence, as you point out the Greens are all for Independence.

3 hours ago, Jedi2 said:

So, if both stand and Forbes wins..the Greens won't vote for her when it comes to Holyrood meaning she couldn't be FM.

Meanwhile if Swinney wins but does so by giving her a top Cabinet job (possibly deputy), the Greens again presumably can't vote it through at Holyrood.

So..is it not the case now that the Greens will only support a Swinney Coronation (which doesn't include Forbes in a top job)?

It's incredible that these cranks will continue to wield so much power and effectively get to decide who the FM is.

If they can't get a Candidate passed by Holyrood vote they have 28 days to put another one forward which the Greens can vote for.

The SNP currently have 63 seats. The Tories don't want an election until the last possible moment as they know that they are likely to lose seats, so they may choose to abstain in a vote for FM.

If the Tories choose to abstain, Labour, Green, LibDem & Alba only have 35 seats between them.

In what fantasy of yours is 35 a larger number than 63?

On 30/04/2024 at 19:00, The Golden God said:

The negative media coverage is cause she’s a homophobe and anti abortion and uses her religion as an excuse. 

What's the islamic take on the above subjects?

23 hours ago, sophia said:

John Swinney is a devout Roman Catholic. 

I'm rather surprised that the boorish and overbearing amongst us tolerated this and stayed within the SNP for so long, especially so since he has previous for telling others what they can and cannot do with their bodies

And presumably believes people commiting suicide go straight to hell

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

Just heard Fergus Ewing on the radio bleating on about Forbes, what an absolute loser that man is.

So did I and I thought he argued his point very well. 

The narrative successfully pushed from the politburo last time around was one that suited those that were keen to abort the art of debate and retain power to within their cabal. It's perfectly acceptable for Fergus to call Swinney out on that and to seek assurances of no repetition. 

The subsequent debate between Dave Thompson and David Buckley was expertly chaired by Martin Geissler. I must say Buckley, when pressed to express himself beyond the level of some of the posts on this thread, well he came up dreadfully short. 

11 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

There’s a difference between people who are not in a romantic/sexual relationship by choice and those who wish they could be but can’t and blame others for this.

The first group would be relaxed with their choice the second very bitter.

The first group wouldn't be relaxed with people wrongly labelling then as incels based on their aphobic views. Which makes you a massive hypocrite when it comes to championing your 'progressive' values. 

1 hour ago, D Angelo Barksdale said:

I see the Forbster (still going with this) voted for the buffer zone bill.

Only one MSP voted against. Take a guess who it was.

John Mason likes to harass women outside medical clinics. Pass it on.

Love this picture. What a bunch of creepy fucking weirdos.

a84aab10-0718-11ef-b2ce-15f024debdd3.jpg