🔴🔵 The Caley v Montrose 🔵🔵

Montrose fans are getting a dose of what Caley have done to Arbroath for years now.  Just absolutely sucking the joy out of football.  Every single game against them, pretty much since we've been promoted has been a joyless grind.  Its the main reason I want them to stay up.

Maybe they just don't like Angus teams?

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, CityDave94 said:

Will this game be the swansong for that orange strip?

Caley's strip tonight looked like the top from one set of strips and the shorts from a totally different strip. Looked awful.

Edited by kingjoey

On 04/05/2024 at 13:18, Stephen Malkmus said:

The village of Montrose shouldn't even bother turning up for this one. We're both too big to go down and too good to go down. Next.

For a team "too big to go down" and "too good to go down", Caley were utter shit for 80% of that match, apart from Lawal. Really poor finishing from Montrose and more than a couple of fortunate blocks kept the score at 0-0. Caley let a 40 year old stroll through a man of the match performance at the back, without breaking sweat.

Fair play to Montrose who edged the game. Caley Thistle were utterly pathetic though. Toothless, showed very little fight and quality throughout. Only one team was playing like it meant something to them. Not surprised Ferguson is delighted with a 0-0 draw, we played with such apathy. The only positive is that SURELY we can’t be that poor again at the weekend.

The feeling around the place was very evident at full time. Only a handful of players coming over to thank the fans, Ferguson also straight off down the tunnel. These gestures take two seconds and yet when they’re absent, create such a divide between the players and the support.

I feel like a broken record but I’m really not sure what has to happen at this point for for Roddy MacGregor to get a start. It’s embarrassing. Lawal was our only good performer today, Anderson has been rotten for weeks and Longstaff contributes very little. The game just seems to pass us by 90% of the time. 

I don't think Ferguson has come over to the fans since Partick away when he got an earful from a number of them. 

Saw the result from this and am confused. Why are Championshipn 9th playing L1 4th?

Isn't it the case that L1 4th play 3rd, winner plays 2nd, then winner of that plays Championship 9th, the same as it is to get into the Prem?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, deadasdillinger said:

Saw the result from this and am confused. Why are Championshipn 9th playing L1 4th?

Isn't it the case that L1 4th play 3rd, winner plays 2nd, then winner of that plays Championship 9th, the same as it is to get into the Prem?

Because our playoffs are skewed to the higher league team, just not nearly as badly down the leagues as the premiership play off.

I don't actually mind the Championship/L1/L2 format in comparison to the levels of self preservation the premiership employs 

Edited by MarkoP

Just now, deadasdillinger said:

What rock have you been hiding under in or have you never bothered about how the playoffs have worked since the 2005/2006 season?

7 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Caley's strip tonight looked like the top from one set of strips and the shorts from a totally different strip. Looked awful.

Good camouflage when sitting on the Glasgow Underground, maybe.

18 minutes ago, deadasdillinger said:

Because the greed is good league does everything it can to make sure the top flight members have the best chance of staying there.

8 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Montrose fans are getting a dose of what Caley have done to Arbroath for years now.  Just absolutely sucking the joy out of football.  Every single game against them, pretty much since we've been promoted has been a joyless grind.  Its the main reason I want them to stay up.

Maybe they just don't like Angus teams?

You're not special. We're been treated to this joyless, negative dross at home for most of the season. 

Decent enough game last night thought Montrose shaded it over the 90 but I think we will see a different ICT on Saturday.

All to play for and we can go into the game Saturday with confidence...COYM

23 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Because the greed is good league does everything it can to make sure the top flight members have the best chance of staying there.

But, if I've got this right, ICT need to play Montrose, then if they win they need to play the winner of Alloa v Hamilton in the final? So they have both a semi and a final in which they can be relegated?

A truly atrocious performance against a mid table League One side.  Passive, insipid, useless.  Get them all to fuck.

7 minutes ago, deadasdillinger said:

But, if I've got this right, ICT need to play Montrose, then if they win they need to play the winner of Alloa v Hamilton in the final? So they have both a semi and a final in which they can be relegated?

By contrast last year Ross County were up against Partick Thistle who had already played four games to get there.

7 minutes ago, deadasdillinger said:

Yes. Has been like this for 18 years now. Do keep up.

Montrose easily the better of the two sides in the first half, but I was/am worried that we didn't manage to take any of the chances that we created. The legs were looking a bit heavy towards the end, but the determination to dig in and see off the late rally from Caley was superb.

Considering our form over most of the past few months, we've really kicked it up a couple of gears these past two weeks. Lyons was the 'official' man of the match last night, but you could have made a case for at least half a dozen of the Montrose players - Dillon showed why he's still a first choice centre back in his 40s, and Brown's work rate was immense.

I'm still worried that we've not taken a lead up to Inverness, but if we at least put in the same effort on Saturday as we did last night, no-one will be able to say we didn't give it a good go.

2 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Yes. Has been like this for 18 years now. Do keep up.

Fair comment. It's just that Kilmarnock are such a huge, massive, enormous club that I've never had to concern myself with it. 

10 minutes ago, deadasdillinger said:

Fair comment. It's just that Kilmarnock are such a huge, massive, enormous club that I've never had to concern myself with it. 

Yes.  Rugby Park gives you that idea.