East Kilbride v Stranraer

1 hour ago, Beachcomber said:

Don't really see the comparison with Stranraer & Albion Rovers.

Rovers could score goals for fun but couldn't defend, its the opposite with Stranraer plus if Rovers were inexperienced, Stranraer aren't.

I’m afraid it was the other way around Beachcomber. Rovers had the 5th best defence in the league and played the entire season without a recognised striker. Charlie Reilly was the guy scoring for fun but for his goals the season would have been over by Christmas. Rovers finished the season on an agonising 39 points with a -1 GD.

2 minutes ago, Bucky said:

I’m afraid it was the other way around Beachcomber. Rovers had the 5th best defence in the league and played the entire season without a recognised striker. Charlie Reilly was the guy scoring for fun but for his goals the season would have been over by Christmas. Rovers finished the season on an agonising 39 points with a -1 GD.

Fair enough but they are certainly not giving as much away as they did earlier in the season.

5 hours ago, Toby said:

Interested in this. I go to every second leg of the play-off final at least and have made a few first legs on an annual basis (the only second leg I missed was Brechin v Kelty due to COVID restrictions that I bought a stream for) and I can’t remember any obviously controversial decisions going in the Lowland League (or non-league) clubs’ favour.

The only instances that I recall being terribly controversial were the Brora captain’s (Steven McKay?) headsgone against Montrose that saw him sent off, but was justified and the chaos between Cowdenbeath and Cove, that went on the SPFL clubs’ favour.

I genuinely can’t remember at Highland or Lowland club benefitting from anything notable in these ties.

Perhaps the Brechin player being sent off for a homophobic slur at a stricken Kelty player? No issues with that decision tbh.

Maybe it’s me and my red and yellow goggles but Spartans got the lion’s share of the 50/50 decisions in both legs including a 2nd leg penalty that the ref broke his neck to award. The season before the first leg the rednecks baying for blood in the home crowd got their way, Cowden’s Harry Swann was a debatable sending off on the half hour mark and astonishingly soft penalty award before half time basically killed the tie. Again probably in many folks eyes the 50/50 decisions without being controversial, probably the most controversial was the glaring obvious Cowdenbeath’s goal against Cove in the 2nd leg which was a blatant foul on the goalie. 

1 hour ago, Fast_Action said:

Is Chris Johnston still on the books at Stranraer?

He is signed but hasn’t been available for a number of weeks. 
I doubt we’ll see him feature in the playoffs. 
A shame as he’s a really talented player. 

Ordinarily I want to see Club 42 getting pumped solely due to the fact that bottom of any league in a so-called pyramid should be relegated. On this occasion however, one hopes the boys from the caul' hole tear EK a new one.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Ordinarily I want to see Club 42 getting pumped solely due to the fact that bottom of any league in a so-called pyramid should be relegated. On this occasion however, one hopes the boys from the caul' hole tear EK a new one.

This!

12 hours ago, Fast_Action said:

Is Chris Johnston still on the books at Stranraer?

Not sure hardly played with injury. When he was fit was good. However I think no longer in plans for a couple of reasons I think.

4 hours ago, Bucky said:

Maybe it’s me and my red and yellow goggles but Spartans got the lion’s share of the 50/50 decisions in both legs including a 2nd leg penalty that the ref broke his neck to award. The season before the first leg the rednecks baying for blood in the home crowd got their way, Cowden’s Harry Swann was a debatable sending off on the half hour mark and astonishingly soft penalty award before half time basically killed the tie. Again probably in many folks eyes the 50/50 decisions without being controversial, probably the most controversial was the glaring obvious Cowdenbeath’s goal against Cove in the 2nd leg which was a blatant foul on the goalie. 

Fair enough- on last year’s final I don’t remember thinking the same about the 50/50 decisions, but I didn’t have a horse in the race, so I dare say I wouldn’t have noticed so much. I was also at the other end of the park from the penalty incident so couldn’t have told whether it should or shouldn’t have been awarded.

I do remember there being the first half red card the previous year but would need to watch it back to pass judgement, and to be honest I can’t really be bothered so will take your word for it.

I do however, agree on the Cowdenbeath v Cove incident, but Cowdenbeath were benefitting at the time as an SPFL team against a Highland team, so not receiving any perceived Lowland League preference.

15 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

Don't really see the comparison with Stranraer & Albion Rovers.

Rovers could score goals for fun but couldn't defend, its the opposite with Stranraer plus if Rovers were inexperienced, Stranraer aren't.

we had a goal difference of -1.

We had a better defensive record than Annan who went up.

I might be wrong but  If Annan hadn't scored a 94th min goal against us - we both would have been in div 2 ! 

We absolutely shat the bed in the play offs. Bullied all over the park and our big players never turned up. our medicore players ( Malcolm) having complete mares didn't help - jeso it still hurts ! ... Ek are no Spartans - they can play. 

Good luck to EK - need them out of the league to make it more of a level playing field. 

Watched the highlights of the Stranraer v Stenny game and Stenny weren't trying one bit. Hard to say that Stanraer were good but they did what they had to do. The worrying thing for them surely was the amount of chances they missed. Can't miss those chances v EK.

53 minutes ago, acrossthesea said:

Watched the highlights of the Stranraer v Stenny game and Stenny weren't trying one bit. Hard to say that Stanraer were good but they did what they had to do. The worrying thing for them surely was the amount of chances they missed. Can't miss those chances v EK.

Story of our season i'm afraid.

7 hours ago, teekasule said:

Good luck to EK - need them out of the league to make it more of a level playing field. 

There is that. No EK will open up promotion for several LL clubs.

I confess to knowing nothing about Stranraer FC but I watched EK play Bo'ness United twice in a week.   

First game we played a back 4 and got thumped with their front 3 attacking the channels and they ripped us to bits.     

Second game we played with a back 3 and all of them took the EK man and ball at every opportunity and bullied them out the game.  

Summary- sit back and let EK play and Stranraer will lose heavily.  Stranraer players need to put in a big physical 95+ minutes at EK to keep themselves in the tie.