East Kilbride v Stranraer

1 hour ago, Vanderbilt said:

They get a £100k leg up to start with.

This is how leagues work. Without competition, clubs don't make money.

How much chicken money have EK spent? How did Cove, Kelty, Edinburgh, etc get their money? Season tickets? Laughable.

37 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

This is how leagues work. Without competition, clubs don't make money.

How much chicken money have EK spent? How did Cove, Kelty, Edinburgh, etc get their money? Season tickets? Laughable.

SPFL being pristine before those dodgy ownership models came along.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

SPFL being pristine before those dodgy ownership models came along.

Obviously not. And not the point I was making. Folk can't wet their pants about how much money SPFL clubs get when all these clubs outwith the SPFL are spending significantly more.

Edited by Gordon EF

1 hour ago, AUcal said:

I, like many others, very much look forward to having some proper community football clubs, who live within their means, coming up through the pyramid to challenge. The LL already has a few, so good luck to them.

Until that point however, I think its very much the case that in these fixtures many will continue to support the L2 community football clubs that live within their means. For example, it would be great to see bankies return at some point, or to see a real progression of big clubs like Talbot or Pollok,  but clubs like EK are everything that is wrong with the idea of 'ambitious' lower-league clubs.

Living within your means is now viewed as being unambitious and lazy - as opposed to it being the very bedrock that the Scottish game requires. Saturday was the perfect rebuttal to the sycophantic media interpretation of spaffing money on a vanity football project.

Plenty of teams in L2 and throughout the SPFL living beyond their means too. Accounts show many rely on regular cash injections from directors. For example:

I was expecting the highlights to be good anyway just for the EK headloss at the end but Brian Martin's commentary for the Stranraer second is just brilliant. The other lines already mentioned just add to the overall commentary but that outpouring of emotion was something else. 

2 hours ago, Vanderbilt said:

The SPFL bottom 2 divisions are full of part time diddies with a couple of hundred fans being propped up by leeching onto Premier and Championship sponsorship and tv deals.

Since licensing and Scottish Cup entry has been opened up everybody has seen how shite a lot of these clubs are.

Elgin lost 6-0 at Jeanfield Swifts ffs 

Champion League. 

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Nearly 24hrs on from kick off and still 36 people are viewing this page...and EK are still "doon". Pleasing 

2 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

It's hilarious.

This might be the best league 2 thread ever.

I really needed something to cheer me up.

A move to P&B Gold maybe? 

4 hours ago, Vanderbilt said:

The SPFL bottom 2 divisions are full of part time diddies with a couple of hundred fans 

4 hours ago, Vanderbilt said:

Never been near Parkhead other than watching the Bankies.

IMG-20230128-WA0003.jpg.12ec376b1f52d424a598c035ac877a17.jpg

26 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Why did you have an account here called "Greenmachine" listed with Celtic as their team then? 

Love ma Bhoys, love ma Bankies, love ma Open Goal, love ma Black Rooster.

9 hours ago, Clyde_MM said:

On the third goal, I really find this Stranraer squad quite an unlikeable bunch. You've just sealed league status and you're almost entirely encircled by your own fans but the guy runs across the park to celebrate right in front of the EK support. If the team had dedicated as much effort to being good at football this year as they have to being sore winners, perhaps yesterday wouldn't have been necessary to begin with.

Hope Balde's alright. Glad he missed those chances but he'll surely have had a night of anguished replays in the mind. For the first you can at least say it maybe just hits the wrong part of his foot. For the second though he had time to take one, maybe even two, touches and bury it.

Seen the goal celebration on our own highlights and on the various vlogs from yesterday. 
I don’t think it’s that over the top. He’s in that half of the park and going in that direction. 
I wouldn’t expect the player to run the length of the park to celebrate in his own half. Thats not something you see very often.

There was a scattering of Stranraer support behind the goals. Not sure how many of them are regulars as this area isn’t normally accessible to the home support. 

Agree with you on Balde, boy must be feeling like dirt.

Some nice footage of Stranraer captain consoling him at full time.