Raith Rovers 🔵⚪️ [3] Vs [3] Partick Thistle 🔴🟡 [Rovers progress on penalties]

Much like Airdrie did in this week's tie, I think we really need to win on Tuesday and take a lead up to Kirkcaldy. Our record there has been dreadful for as long as I can remember, and Rovers have generally had the better of us this season, so going there needing to win on Friday night would not be an ideal situaton.

Can't imagine this will be as frantic over two legs as the Airdrie tie was, but really looking forward to Tuesday night. Should be another big crowd and great atmosphere.

35 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

Brian Graham is clearly Thistle’s best threat but he only scored once against us during the season and even than was only a penalty. If we can stop him it should make things a bit easier.

This is going to be important. Hopefully his legs are running on empty after two hard games.

Main worry is that our defence hasn’t  been settled all season and has can easily chuck in a couple of stupid goals in a short spell. Thistle home, Ayr home, Arbroath home and away, Airdrie home. As we know from play offs in the past, if you throw in two goals in 5/10 minutes then these ties can be dead in the water. The good thing is that the Thistle defence can be also be got at. 

Think our lack of squad depth will end up hurting us here, pretty much every sub makes us worse and the likes of Mcmillan and Fitzpatrick don't look to have much left in the tank. 

Tactically we'll need to not leave huge gaps between the defence and midfield, Frizzell was able to exploit that in the first leg but Airdrie missed him last night. Raith have plenty players who can play well in that space. 

34 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Was McMillan hurt when he went off last night, or just shattered? 

Given how often that Lawless and McMillan right hand side has caused us issues, if would be lovely not to have to contend with any part of it. 

He's not been great this season and now playing with the slow and one footed McInroy ahead of him.

Not sure if a tactical or injury substitution, to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Was McMillan hurt when he went off last night, or just shattered? 

Given how often that Lawless and McMillan right hand side has caused us issues, if would be lovely not to have to contend with any part of it. 

I think he was just shattered, there’s been a few games recently where he’s looked done in the last 10, 15 minutes. He’s undoubtedly missing Lawless in front of him. 

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Much like Airdrie did in this week's tie, I think we really need to win on Tuesday and take a lead up to Kirkcaldy. Our record there has been dreadful for as long as I can remember, and Rovers have generally had the better of us this season, so going there needing to win on Friday night would not be an ideal situaton.

Can't imagine this will be as frantic over two legs as the Airdrie tie was, but really looking forward to Tuesday night. Should be another big crowd and great atmosphere.

I'd imagine a few of your guys will definitely need to be doing the minimum between now and the game Tuesday -Friday- Tuesday- Friday is a brutal schedule

Couple of other things - last year because of the later Premiership finish due to the world cup our games vs Ayr were Friday and Friday which allowed for more recovery time for us (and meant Ayr were totally idle for two weeks) , we don't have that advantage this year. 

Also last year the play off places went down to the last day and at least at least three clubs could have finished second. Raith have been comfortably the best of the rest this season over 36 games. 

We're not playing Man City or anything but to me this is a very tough ask compared to vs Airdrie. 

Could definitely see us struggle due to fitness in these two games, I’d actually forgotten about the break between the QP 2nd leg and Ayr 1st leg last season it is a tough ask especially with the squad not being as strong as it has been previously. That said, we’ve seen before that players can be running on empty but if they’ve got bags of confidence it can go a long way. Think we probably need a win at Firhill because our record at Stark’s Park is pretty poor. Interesting to see if the rest has helped Raith, IIRC a lot of people felt it actually hindered Ayr last season whilst we’d just grown in confidence from the 2 QF wins.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Is this the real thread?

The other thread was first, but Jagfox’s one has pretty colours in the title which is probably why it’s winning.

14 hours ago, Reid said:

Can’t see us getting through here. Raith have looked the much better team in our games this season.

I'm not sure I agree. I thought we were the better side for most of the 4-3 game in December, but even then had to come from behind, and I think Thistle possibly deserved a point in the game at Firhill in March.

Just a wee observation - why do Thistle fans and Weedgies in general always talk about coming "up" to Kirkcaldy / Fife? We always talk about going "through" to Glasgow, rather than "down" to Glasgow. I'm not saying one is right and the other is wrong, it's just something I've always found curious.

3 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

I'm not sure I agree. I thought we were the better side for most of the 4-3 game in December, but even then had to come from behind, and I think Thistle possibly deserved a point in the game at Firhill in March.

Just a wee observation - why do Thistle fans and Weedgies in general always talk about coming "up" to Kirkcaldy / Fife? We always talk about going "through" to Glasgow, rather than "down" to Glasgow. I'm not saying one is right and the other is wrong, it's just something I've always found curious.

If that’s what the majority  say it’s probably because Kirkcaldy is North of Glasgow, although most people I speak to just say they are going to Kirkcaldy or Dunfermline.

14 hours ago, Nightmare said:

The other thread was first, but Jagfox’s one has pretty colours in the title which is probably why it’s winning.

Pretty colours or some other emojis is the way to go. 

Yesterday afternoon was actually pretty decent for both teams. Whoever ends up 11th is going to be going in on a complete downer.

The ideal scenario would be for either St Johnstone or Ross County to be sitting safe with a minute to go next Sunday then lose a goal which drops them into 11th. You've got to think that would knock the stuffing right out of them.

Just now, Specky Ginger said:

Yesterday afternoon was actually pretty decent for both teams. Whoever ends up 11th is going to be going in on a complete downer.

The ideal scenario would be for either St Johnstone or Ross County to be sitting safe with a minute to go next Sunday then lose a goal which drops them into 11th. You've got to think that would knock the stuffing right out of them.

Surprised at the county score. St Johnstone are the ones you probably want to play. Levein always sounds absolutely devoid of any motivation in his interviews.