Spartans v Dumbarton (Play off final double header)

6 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Trust me, as someone who watched Kevin Nisbet play for us I know that feeling a wee bit too well! 

I think you're spot on though. I met him the day he signed, and was really impressed by how he conducted himself. He was very, very focused. Very serious and very determined. You could tell he knew this was maybe his last chance to make an impression in the SPFL. And he felt he hadn't really had a fair shot at Queen's, Falkirk, Arbroath or Aberdeen. I think he'd started 25 league games in his career prior to joining us. And hasn't scored a league goal for two years.

We put absolutely all our eggs in his basket. As in we have no other strikers. And he seems to have thrived knowing that the pressure is all on him to perform. It's like this was the opportunity he was desperate for, and he's absolutely embraced it. 

I've said before that I think he's the best striker in the division, and I stand by that. Blair Henderson is a better goalscorer. Jordan Allan too. But in terms of all round play, nobody tops Ruth. And we've seen him growing in confidence and learning about men's football week by week basically. He's been pleased with how he's playing, he's still a very focused character, but he's definitely came out of his shell a lot and I've enjoyed getting to know him. 

I see what you mean!

26 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Blair Carswell's kicking has been the only entertainment since the equaliser, which he sold with his poppadom wrists. Such a jobber.

I see what you mean!

I know it will come as no surprise to Dumbarton fans, or probably to L2 followers generally, but I've been so impressed with Michael Ruth across the 4 play-off games for Dumbarton.

His strength and technical ability, the way he finds space and makes opportunities is excellent. Do Sons fans expect him to make the jump to full-time this summer? He's absolutely one that I'd like Ayr to be keeping a look out for in the coming years.

Dumbarton really deserving of their lead here and look a pretty capable side.

2 minutes ago, AUcal said:

I know it will come as no surprise to Dumbarton fans, or probably to L2 followers generally, but I've been so impressed with Michael Ruth across the 4 play-off games for Dumbarton.

His strength and technical ability, the way he finds space and makes opportunities is excellent. Do Sons fans expect him to make the jump to full-time this summer? He's absolutely one that I'd like Ayr to be keeping a look out for in the coming years.

Dumbarton really deserving of their lead here and look a pretty capable side.

I would love to think he'll stay with us but he could easily step up a level.

What League we end up in after tonight, could be a factor too.

Dumbarton easily the better team. 

Not that difficult though, as spartans look shite! Their defence is hopeless and attack not much better.

Dumbarton want it more, have seemed a lot more determined than spartans.

In Ruth you have the match winner that can score goals and that's been the big difference.

Congrats to Dumbarton.