Clyde FC Season 24/25

5 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

goodness knows how much we've already spent on this lot.

This is the thing. Such a wild difference between this season and last season. Because of restrictions regarding trialists in the cup, when we played Hamilton in the first game this time last season we only had three on the bench. The team that day was:

- Parry -

- McCulloch - Sula - Dunachie - Craig -

- Cuddihy - Forbes -

- L. Scullion - Cameron - Mulvanny -

- Rennie -

Subs: Leighfield, P. Grant, C. Scullion

Our Ian will be more than earning his corn trying to keep all of (potentially) Allan, Connell, Connelly, Kabia, Leitch, Redfern, Rennie and Scullion happy juking it out for four spots in the team. There was me thinking that there was huge competition in the middle of the park, too.

I am slightly worried that it's perhaps too strong of a squad, which feels like a really strange and happy concern to have. These are undoubtedly heady times, though; a world removed from the last ten or so transfer windows, during which we've had to peek at announcements through our fingers. Can't wait for it all to start, just praying that it doesn't somehow blow up along the way.

2 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Surprised the bookies have been paying attention or is it just that we always have short odds in Div2?

Not much of a gambler but I’m pretty sure the bookies had short odds on us last year despite the squad we’d assembled so I’m, likewise, surprised they’ve paid attention this year (if that’s what they’ve done).  Was tempted to put a bet on if they’d been lazy and assumed we’d be as bad as last year.  I suspect they just assume we should be strong at this level, without looking at the actual squads being assembled.

3 hours ago, ScottR96 said:

Seemingly he has a bit of an attitude problem, according to a mate who supports QoS. I’m sure McCall and Maitland will have that knocked out him soon enough. 

The guy has talent but the comment re attitude has some substance. McCall might be just what he needs and if his attitude is right he’ll be very good at league 2 level IMHO. 

2 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

The guy has talent but the comment re attitude has some substance. McCall might be just what he needs and if his attitude is right he’ll be very good at league 2 level IMHO. 

getting a serious hard on about this coming season

2 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

2+9 = 11

11 is the number of locals in the Celtic team that won the European Cup

Big team found.

He doesn't hide it tbf. Can mind him appearing in the Celtic crowd on TV up at Ross County a couple of years back :lol:

image.thumb.png.ebcfd5cdcccc03ff4bdc451204d88a51.png

Assuming Kabia resigns, I would say we are just about there with the squad. Ovbs with a No.9 Still to come in (Plz JA9). 4 loans still to use aswell, so maybe another 2 or 3 max still to come in. The 21 players we have so far are night and day from last season, with that squad I reckon we would give league 1 a right good go nevermind league 2. Defos looks like we are in for a cracking season and boy have we earned it after the past 2/3 seasons rubbish. Major credit to both Ian McCall and AM for what they have done pre-season, July 17th can't come quick enough! 🇾🇪

1 hour ago, MonTheClyde_MonTheBullyWee said:

image.thumb.png.ebcfd5cdcccc03ff4bdc451204d88a51.png

Assuming Kabia resigns, I would say we are just about there with the squad. Ovbs with a No.9 Still to come in (Plz JA9). 4 loans still to use aswell, so maybe another 2 or 3 max still to come in. The 21 players we have so far are night and day from last season, with that squad I reckon we would give league 1 a right good go nevermind league 2. Defos looks like we are in for a cracking season and boy have we earned it after the past 2/3 seasons rubbish. Major credit to both Ian McCall and AM for what they have done pre-season, July 17th can't come quick enough! 🇾🇪

Scary thing is that I’m not sure Grant and Scullion will even start given the players we’ve signed. Also who knows what Kebia situation is, I certainly wouldn’t be going daft with any big financial offer for him. 
Not saying we are winning the league or anything like that but it’s certainly a huge change from the usual start of season trepidation that being a Clyde fan had become in last few years.

I gave up trying to work out a best eleven weeks ago. It's impossible. We are one of the few sides who will benefit hugely from the four League Cup games as having a nearly full squad, he can rotate different players in for the different fixtures and get a proper handle on things ahead of Forfar. And I don't mean deliberately weakening the side by doing so.

For me, we'll probably have three from Cuddihy, Grant, McKay, Docherty, Lyon playing most games to give us a bit of control. With a front three then made up from the others. Then for the home games against the weaker/defensive sides, we'll go with two of the aforementioned midfielders and play a Connelly/Leitch as a ten. Even the option of two proper attacking full-backs will give us so many other ways to attack a game.

The brilliant thing is that the likes of Rennie, Cuddihy and others who on their day are great L2 players, will need to be at their best every game or they'll be out the side. Apart from possibly full-back and goalkeeper, there's real competition all over the pitch.

I know it is tempting to think we are going to romp the league but reality is I know little about the new players who have signed

Always say give it the first quarter of the season to see how we are playing and where we are in the league and then will decide if we are likely to be challenging or not

Exception was last season when after about 3 games it was clear we were going to struggle with the squad that was assembled 

Though from what others have said, particularly fans of other clubs, it seems we have assembled a squad that should be capable of a title push this year

Lee Connelly will be a great signing for Clyde IF he screws the nut, which would be a miracle given season he has just had. 

Instead of turning up to team lunch pre game, he went and got a KFC.

He tried to lead a players revolt to get the manager out.

He was consistently late for training.

He failed to turn up to a club charity event because he claimed he slept in. 

He was fined 19 times over the course of the season for various things.

Good luck

13 hours ago, ClydeFCTheBullyWee said:

Interesting odds for the league on William Hill 

IMG_2786.png

Well I hope they are right about Clyde...but from insider source at Peterhead...they have that one wrong......filling up the squad with Highland League  hackers.......