Motherwell vs St Johnstone, Sunday 19 May

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Looking at that list of motherwell’s last games of each season, I remember one about 6 years ago, Steve Maclean’s last match for us where he served up a hat trick and Saints won 5-1. Might have been motherwell’s last home game rather than final match of the season.

I desperately want to believe we can do this. The Livi match gave me some hope we can grab a match by the scruff of the neck and play on the front foot.. but we still lost, and haven’t won a match in ages.

I just struggle to imagine what a Saints win would look like. As in, could we score then see it out or could we turn it on and cruise to a comfortable win with Motherwell half arsed. I just really struggle to picture these;  as soon as the opposition score we crumble. 

I’d love us to make a go of it here as I genuinely think county will drop points. But Motherwell are good going forward when they’re on it, and f**k knows we’ve been on the end of some (4-0) pumpings down there over the last few years. I could easily see them turn it on and ensure there’s not even the slightest bit of drama.

Desperately hope I’m wrong and being overly pessimistic.

It was the 17/18 season in the run up to the cup final.

That game ended Barry Maguire as a centre back for us.

It was our second last home game. Our actual last game was the one where Ciftci was channelling prime Cantona and ran riot against Accies.

Screenshot2024-05-17at19_35_34.thumb.png.50ae1919b97110b15420d661ebab028b.png

Edited by capt_oats

6 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Looking at that list of motherwell’s last games of each season, I remember one about 6 years ago, Steve Maclean’s last match for us where he served up a hat trick and Saints won 5-1. Might have been motherwell’s last home game rather than final match of the season.

Turns out that 5-1 at Fir Park was our second last away match, as we played away at Accies the following midweek.

Funnily enough our last home match was when Wotherspoon scored an equaliser in injury time at McDiarmid in a match that confirmed Ross County’s relegation.

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

My issue with Smith is he's a shitebag.

As bad as MacPherson and Phillips are, you can half trust them to win a 50/50 at times.

They are also both just as likely to pick up a stupid yellow or red.

Posted (edited)

Not to put any extra pressure on it but ....

In promising news for all Scottish clubs, firstly the money for clubs eliminated in qualifying will rise 25 per cent from €105m to €132m. The solidarity payments - money awarded to ALL clubs that DON’T participate in league phase football - goes up a massive 120 per cent, from €140m to €308m. This should mean as much as £1.5m for every SPFL club that doesn’t reach a European League phase next season.

Poor journalism from the Record. It's top league only.

Edited by Vietnam91

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your season ended when you could no longer get a better points tally than St Mirren, and we all know it.

Depends if the 10 points for financial irregularities are deducted this season or for the start of the next.

I wouldn't have Nicky Clark starting this game, as much as Levein backs him, Kimpioka and Sidibeh are in far better form. Clark had two brilliant chances to put us ahead vs Livi, at the start and very end of the game, and missed both. I'd rather have Kimpiokas pace over Clarks decision making at the moment.

Ross County won at Fir Park to avoid 11th in the covid season and I can see something similar happening here. We'll probably score but if St Johnstone get into the last 20 minutes needing a goal (or two) I reckon they'll probably get it.

1-2

5 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Looking at that list of motherwell’s last games of each season, I remember one about 6 years ago, Steve Maclean’s last match for us where he served up a hat trick and Saints won 5-1

He's now my postie and I've considered getting an aggressive dog due to that game.

9 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

Not to put any extra pressure on it but ....

Poor journalism from the Record. It's top league only.

I think the team that goes down this season still get that payment, and the team that comes up doesn’t. Sounds a bit weird so could be completely wrong.  

Were now at (I think) 3 clean sheets in 37 games this season. 

Quite frankly, if St Johnstone don't at least score then they deserve to go down. 

I think we need to see this through with the group that have been heavily involved in the past couple of games. A team with 4 or 5 changes isn't the way to go.

Same starting eleven again for me.

3 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

I think the team that goes down this season still get that payment, and the team that comes up doesn’t. Sounds a bit weird so could be completely wrong.  

If you go down (which I hope you don't) then you'd get this season payment paid at the turn of the year in 2025. Dundee United and any other promoted team don't get a sniff despite being in the league at the time. However 2026 is the first year of bumper payment off the back of the changes to the champions league that Livi and potentially Ross County or yourselves would miss out on due to Sunday and the subsequent playoff.

3 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

If you go down (which I hope you don't) then you'd get this season payment paid at the turn of the year in 2025. Dundee United and any other promoted team don't get a sniff despite being in the league at the time. However 2026 is the first year of bumper payment off the back of the changes to the champions league that Livi and potentially Ross County or yourselves would miss out on due to Sunday and the subsequent playoff.

I stand corrected!

Really not sure how this one will play out. The fact only 3 points will do for the Saintees makes it interesting as Levein might need to move away from his usual cautious approach, especially if big Theo fancies getting it right up St J and puts us in front. That being said, 3 clean sheets in 37 games and no wins against St J this year suggests you’ll get at least 1 goal.

I think a lot will come down to how arsed we are. We showed we can turn it on in virtual dead rubbers for us when the opposition had something to play for (Livi, RC) but the performance against Hibs was as end of season/on the beach as you will find.
By all accounts all our players already know if they’ll be offered terms or not for next season so some might not be arsed if they’re leaving or may want to go out with a win and a wee end of season thank you lap. 

2-1 Motherwell. A late Theo Bair winner on the breakaway as St J push for a winner themselves. 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I see more chat about this being a nothing game. 
I can't help but see that as nonsense excuses (for our inevitable loss, which is coming IMO)
We've prize money to play for. Anyone not interested should be left out.

14 hours ago, capt_oats said:

8qf4j2.jpg

Kelly
Casey McGinn Blaney
O'Donnell Dzravkovski Miller Gent
Vale Spittal
Bair

Agree with @Busta Nut that only players fully motivated for playing 90mins should be involved, an extra £60k may be chicken feed to the top couple of clubs but at our level it's a sizeable chunk of a first team wage, so very much worth fighting for.

@capt_oats team there is what I'd like to see us start with. Halliday hasn't done much to impress in his recent outings so would much prefer wee Davor back in the middle. Think this will be tight with what's at stake for St J, but should things be going our way like against Livi and County in recent weeks,  I'd also like to maybe see a couple of the youngsters like Wells/Ferrie/Garcia get a wee half hour run out. I'll be bold and predict a couple of late goals and a 3-1 home win to sign off with.

Edited by 'WellDel