General Election 2024

26 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

Still loving Keir ' Thatcher ' Starmer?

The comedy when the guy gets in and (continues) to structure everything in a south east of england centric manner

Starmer on R4 just now -

Mishal Hussain asked him about tuition fees - they are going up (which means they are under threat in Scotland)

She also asked him why Elphick can be in the party and Dianne Abbott is still under investigation - he slavered like the obfuscating lawyer he is.

Dodged the Gaza question - again.

Then he mentioned that they will have to do some things that are "not Labour"............................

Fully understand why people dont trust the SNP, but............jesus christ..............this guy is NOT of the Labour Party I used to vote for in my 20s.

17 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

This place is full of roasters

Is Canvey Island a real island?  At high tide - yes.  Most of it is actually below sea level.

Thus "get them in the sea" would be relatively easy.

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Starmer on R4 just now -

Mishal Hussain asked him about tuition fees - they are going up (which means they are under threat in Scotland)

She also asked him why Elphick can be in the party and Dianne Abbott is still under investigation - he slavered like the obfuscating lawyer he is.

Dodged the Gaza question - again.

Then he mentioned that they will have to do some things that are "not Labour"............................

Fully understand why people dont trust the SNP, but............jesus christ..............this guy is NOT of the Labour Party I used to vote for in my 20s.

University finance is hitting the skids big time right now. I expect whoever comes in will have to raise fees in the rest of the UK. 

This is partly driven by the Tories changes to the visas meaning fewer international postgraduate students coming. To illustrate, in my own area postgrad MSc students pay about £20k a skull for a 1 year course. Two years ago we had 300 such students (~£6 million in income). Now we have fewer than 100 students- a drop of over £4 million. That's just in my own teaching discipline - across the UK universities are reporting the same. On average a 35% drop in these students. 

Undergraduate students are loss-making in the rest of the UK, and especially so in Scotland. So unis are seeing drops in income but also the need to keep taking losses at undergraduate level. Research funding hasn't fully recovered from Brexit. 

So..Starmer or Sunak, expect hikes in UK tuition fees pretty much right after polling day. In Scotland the situation will continue as is - annual budget cuts, course closures and redundancies. 

I agree with the principle of free tuition, but the Scottish government isn't really keeping their side of the bargain in terms of finance. The quality of education will go down. Colleges are in an even worse state.