General Election 2024

This morning's File on 4 programme on radio 4 made for a disturbing listen. 

Hospitals in England are being insentivised not to operate on the most vulnerable children. I find it disgusting that we are living through a period of time that can't provide a level of care that used to be honourably offered. 

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

If he loses his seat will we see him fulfill his destiny and take his pal's George Galloway place as ruler of the political grift?

I thought Galloway has a mistrust of Corbyn due to Corbyn’s long term support of a two state solution whereas Galloway wants a single state with Israelis marginalised?

4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

If he loses his seat will we see him fulfill his destiny and take his pal's George Galloway place as ruler of the political grift?

For a guy in a Turkish prison he seems quite cheerful. 

6 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

That guy was jailed for protesting Turkey's support for ISIS. Therefore, Corbyn's solidarity with him should only be a problem to Erdoğan or ISIS fans. I assume you're neither of those things so flagging up this tweet was an odd decision.

2 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

That guy was jailed for protesting Turkey's support for ISIS. Therefore, Corbyn's solidarity with him should only be a problem to Erdoğan or ISIS fans. I assume you're neither of those things so flagging up this tweet was an odd decision.

Also, I get that he isn't everyone's cup of tea politically, but even Corbyn's harshest critics would struggle to back up accusations of him being a 'grifter'.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Good* article here on the BBC interviewing people who aren't voting: The people in MK and Northamptonshire who have decided not to vote - BBC News

The most bizarre part here is that it seems to be suggesting "Aramintah" is a name.

Aramintah is an appropriate name for someone who won't vote because politicians keep saying things and not doing them, considering there's only been one party in government for her entire adult life.

Can't help thinking they're all going to vote REFUK at the last minute.

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

Aramintah is an appropriate name for someone who won't vote because politicians keep saying things and not doing them, considering there's only been one party in government for her entire adult life.

Can't help thinking they're all going to vote REFUK at the last minute.

Also wtf is hair and media make-up 

I see Sunak is going full "yes, ladies and gentlemen, I have gone completely off my rocker" with his national service nonsense.

Talking about "sanctions" for the uncooperative - driving licences, even banking at risk? 

He is off his nut!

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I see Sunak is going full "yes, ladies and gentlemen, I have gone completely off my rocker" with his national service nonsense.

Talking about "sanctions" for the uncooperative - driving licences, even banking at risk? 

He is off his nut!

One of the funniest things about this election is the absolute hatred that Tory MPs must have for Sunak.

If there had been better planning and timing many would have lost their seats but possibly not the numbers that now look certain to do so.  I can only anticipate the vitriol that will come his way as the results begin to pour in on the morning of Friday 5July.

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

He is off his nut!

He's chasing the national mood, and that appears to be authoritarianism. People seem to want to hear that other people that they don't like are going to be punished for existing (the young, in this case).

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

One of the funniest things about this election is the absolute hatred that Tory MPs must have for Sunak.

If there had been better planning and timing many would have lost their seats but possibly not the numbers that now look certain to do so.  I can only anticipate the vitriol that will come his way as the results begin to pour in on the morning of Friday 5July.

He's useless, but Truss will have lost far more of them their seats at this election.

It's simply marvellous that they've done all of this to themselves. Not that it affects them in a genuinely negative way, of course.

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

He's chasing the national mood, and that appears to be authoritarianism. People seem to want to hear that other people that they don't like are going to be punished for existing (the young, in this case).

He's useless, but Truss will have lost far more of them their seats at this election.

It's simply marvellous that they've done all of this to themselves. Not that it affects them in a genuinely negative way, of course.

They must be yearning for the heady days of Theresa May, who up until then was the worst PM we'd seen. 

29 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:
  • They must be yearning for the heady days of Theresa May, who up until then was the worst PM we'd seen. 

IMG_2154.thumb.jpeg.12f1673f2898fdd3202387ae51c6ad62.jpeg

Thatch was a very effective Prime Minister, to be fair to the evil auld witch.

Have any of them ever had such an ongoing influence on society in the UK? She's like Cthulhu; dead but dreaming, and continuing to affect the minds of her children.

Is there any reason we're under 2 weeks to the election and we've not got lampposts & road signs festooned with all sorts of gaudy political party signs? These used to spring up all over the place during election campaigns but I've not seen a single one so far. 

Was there not enough time to get these printed? A ban on the materials to be ecologically friendly? Nae enough foreigny types allowed in to manufacture them?

8 minutes ago, Hauzen said:

Is there any reason we're under 2 weeks to the election and we've not got lampposts & road signs festooned with all sorts of gaudy political party signs? These used to spring up all over the place during election campaigns but I've not seen a single one so far. 

Was there not enough time to get these printed? A ban on the materials to be ecologically friendly? Nae enough foreigny types allowed in to manufacture them?

The parties prefer putting their resources into making memes these days.

25 minutes ago, Hauzen said:

Visit Oban. The local SNP have something on every lamppost between the town limits & the ferry rerminal. The lib-dems have got out some ancient "Vote Alan Reid" posters from the early 2000's