General Election 2024

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Reform didn't have to campaign because the BBC et al kept giving that gobshite c**t a platform.

Thing I don't get is how seeing more of Farage didn't cost them votes rather than win them votes???

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Don't award uncosted, unaffordable pay rises to play to the gallery then.

Dont pay competitive wages then public sector jobs like police, fire, ambulance, teaching and doctors walk away. Wife and I would earn 2/3 times our wages in Canada, she’d comfortably be a millionaire in the states alone and we’d double the household income in Australia, but we stay because we believe in what Scotland could be, but theres got to be a fair wage paid. 

Looking at the numbers for Reform in Scotland, there's a helluva grift out there for anyone who has the stomach to spend time engaging with their voters.

I never thought it would be so depressing to see an election in which the Conservative Party were crushed.

Dark days ahead unless Labour have something incredible to pull out of the hat. There must be a lot of scared "non-Britons" out there right now.

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Ferries might be a disaster but solving it is not a huge vote winner because it affects a tiny number of people.

A sign of decency* is being willing to address issues such as GRA even if it is not popular/can be twisted by opponents/doesn’t affect large numbers (not saying the SNP has handled that issue well but it was widely supported policy).  * there’s times it’s important to do the right thing even if it’s not politically popular.

The ability to adequately fund Councils (and the NHS and further/higher education) is almost exclusively down to how much funding the U.K. government gives the Scottish government.  Discretionary tax raising is limited and the SNP government has been criticised for what it has done in this respect.  You know this.

The ferries are a constant millstone round their neck. People watch the news on TV and these regularly crop up. This perpetuates a narrative that the SNP can’t get things done. It’s a drip drip drip effect.

Deceny? It’s a side issue. You say the Ferries isn’t a vote winner. Neither is GRA. All It did was get them into a media frenzy. If they don’t want to be politically popular then they shouldn’t grumble when the electorate bin them. Like last night.

If the SNP can’t improve things for the majority then why would the majority of people vote for them? I get that the Tories knew this too and had been turning off the funding taps, but I see first hand the SNP government’s policies and how that has affected the public sector. That’s not a funding issue, that’s a policy issue leading to piss poor public services.

They have two years to turn things around and I’m not confident they’ll do this.

Arguing that Reform don't deserve coverage here is now difficult as polled 15x Alba, 2x Greens, not far behind LDs.

Substantially more Scots voted RUK than attend the football each weekend.

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

Substantially more Scots voted RUK than attend the football each weekend.

Increase in attendances for Hearts, Rangers and Airdrie then ?

47 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Northern Ireland election results 2024 | Constituency map - BBC News

Interesting to look at Northern Ireland where headline is Sinn Fein finishing top... but in reality the seat balance remains the same as last time, with 9x Republican, 8x Unionist and 1x cross-community. DUP lost 3 seats to smaller unionists.

Republican share grew by just 0.2%... and including the Independent Unionist who beat the Alliance in North Down the Unionist vote also actually grew by 0.4% (indeed the Alliance vote fell by 1.8% across Ulster).

Unionist basic problem is having their votes split across DUP on 172,000 and UUP on 95,000 and TUV on 49,000 and the independent on 21,000 (total = 337,000); whereas the Republicans are concentrated into only Sinn Fein on 211,000 and SDLP on 89,000 with their only real drag being Aontu on 7,000 (total = 307,000).

The leader of Aontu’s name reminds me of someone. Not a good someone.

Peadar Tóibín

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

You do not need to be anywhere near £70k to have a 4 figure difference.

You will be more than 4 figures before even hitting the higher rate threshold in England.

The “vast majority” I was referring to were the public service workers who are, apparently, very happy to pay a “marginal” increase.

You are right about being well south of £70k for a £1k difference but wrong about it being a vast majority. 

The inflection point between better off in Scotland and worse off (in purely tax terms) is at the 50th centile, just shy of 29000. Scots are £1000 worse off by £47,500 which is, at 2023 salaries well into the 80s percentile wise. The difference is that high for less than 40% of the people who pay more tax in Scotland, who are less than 20% of salaried job holders. 

There’s about 1.9 m salaried earners in those figures. Self employment isn’t included but self employment is weighted heavily towards lower incomes so they’re more likely to be better off (or not as worse off).

It’s not an insignificant proportion of people affected, but distribution wise it’s definitely the most able to pay who  are paying. 

incidentally, my mental arithmetic found 42-20 way too challenging and came up with 12, which is where I went wrong before. I’ve brought shame on my family and the whole village.

4 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Can I put any hope in that even this clusterfuck version of the SNP still managed to take around 30% of the vote in Scotland?

You can, many SNP voters stayed at home last night because they felt it was pointless and treated it with sheer apathy, many others loaned their votes to Labour to make sure the Tory scum were well and truly ousted, and if you're anything like me, you'll probably feel that sending our MP's down to Wastemonster is a pointless exercise anyway because they treat us with complete and utter contempt, they're nothing but arrogant, ignorant, abhorrent b*****ds!  

Two years time will be very different as long as Swinney doesn't make a complete and utter arse of it, which I'm not overly confident about if truth be told! 

4 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

The leader of Aontu’s name reminds me of someone. Not a good someone.

Peadar Tóibín

7xbx4j.jpg.10cf320d60c6956b60d95500d49c7179.jpg

7 minutes ago, tinkerbelle said:

This is the 15th change of prime minister since I was born. Only 1 of them made a real difference to our place on the map of history.

Fatch?

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

So would anyone say Reform are propping up this Labour government? 

They're certainly well set up for failure now. They've got a massive majority and won't find much difficulty in implementing whatever they see fit, as the upper chamber is unlikely to have much problem with any tinkering the Commons submits. When very little changes for the better over the next five years, whatever emerges from the remains of the Conservative Party and merges with REFUK will actually have to perform worse to avoid forming the next government.

It's desperate enough that you could start hoping that Sirkeef actually has some kind of secret Stalinist plan like the right-wing press has been fantasising about, because the little they've been willing to discuss is not going to cut it with voters by the end of the decade.