General Election 2024

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

He’s joining Labour.  Starmer has promised to put him in the Lords and make him Foreign Secretary.

There’s precedent you know.

😄

Kemi Badenoch is regularly touted as a future Tory leader. 

I know there are a lot of them facing wipeout and that she is almost certainly guaranteed to stay by having a seat in the binfire that is Essex, but she is an absolutely atrocious politician. I can only assume she's touted favourably on the basis that she is on the right of the party and has been given some positions of responsibility. 

But she is dreadful. A complete reactionary, who cannot take even the mildest criticism. It does not take much at all for her to become very shirty and defensive when she's challenged. 

49 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Farage has tweeted that he has a "big announcement" to make at 4pm today.

While most of us hope it is that all the years of fags and bevvy have caught up with him, I wonder if its going to be an electoral pact with the Tories?

Either they're standing down in Brexit supporting Tory MP constituencies or he's standing after all (Twitter suggests their best chance of a win is Clacton).

Even though Farage is coining it in from the MAGA idiots these days, I doubt he fancies forking out for at least 500+ lost deposits. There's also no way they could find 630 candidates that don't have an extremely iffy social media history.

57 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

While most of us hope it is that all the years of fags and bevvy have caught up with him, I wonder if its going to be an electoral pact with the Tories?

I'm no fan of Farage, but I think Starmer's reaction as stated by the Independent is a bit of an overreaction... " Farage to make emergency announcement as Starmer says he would use nuclear weapons". 😳

3 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I'm no fan of Farage, but I think Starmer's reaction as stated by the Independent is a bit of an overreaction... " Farage to make emergency announcement as Starmer says he would use nuclear weapons". 😳

He needn’t worry, it’s a known fact that cockroaches will survive a nuclear fallout.

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Maybe he has something to say about the plan for ICT to train down in Fife.

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

He’s rejected the previous decades of his work and is standing for the Lib Dem’s in Plymouth. 

12 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Maybe he has something to say about the plan for ICT to train down in Fife.

You guys are in the seaside leagues now.  No way would this count as a "big announcement"

55 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Either they're standing down in Brexit supporting Tory MP constituencies or he's standing after all (Twitter suggests their best chance of a win is Clacton).

21 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

He’s rejected the previous decades of his work and is standing for the Lib Dem’s in Plymouth. 

On the basis of his previous (i.e. no) record, and the fact he is a professional grifter, I cant see him standing for the "pittance" that MPs are paid.

Would be amusing to see him flip to the slightly less nazi Conservative party......................

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

P&B losing its touch.  Over an hour and not a single ‘wid’.

Mind you…

After all these years has P&B finally hit the wall, the photo that no one says that to. 

Truly a moment in history.

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

No, I am a nerd who is really into the mechanics of elections (though I hate politics). The various Boundaries Commissions get a ton of criticism that's almost never justified or informed.

Here's a better area for criticism (though it's not the Boundaries Commission's choice either): constituencies aren't made up using population data, or adult population data, or even the population eligible to vote. They're made up using numbers on the electoral register. Young people, those who move around a lot, homeless people, those in poor health, single parents, ethnic minorities and others are all less likely to be registered to vote. So the make-up of constituencies automatically has a right-leaning bias. Also, with 16 & 17 year olds and immigrants eligible to vote in Scottish Parliament elections, those boundaries are closer to neutral.

FWIW putting Strathallan in Stirling makes it more likely the SNP will win the Perth & Kinross-shire seat, which is much more marginal than Stirling, so it probably helps the SNP overall.

I genuinely don't know, but is the Uni campus in the Strathallan area that's been added?  I know most will travel home, but there are still some students living there over the summer.