Major election gaffes 2024

11 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

This is the Sunak aide who bet on the date of the election.  Surely this photo should disqualify him for holding office.  Definitely oftw.

IMG_1661.jpeg.f7cc088649c7357ddd7a3beeaeb35c05.jpeg

11 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

You really have to question the intelligence of these people. If you are, allegedly, going to use any inside information you may have, surely you would use a traditional betting shop and put the bet on anonymously using cash, rather than online where you need to provide proof of identity etc.

Is there a difference between a gaffe, and a preplanned gaffe laid before the election was even called as a booby trap for later, other than the level of stupidity involved?

Craig Williams: Sunak aide admits placing bet on general election - BBC News

"I put a flutter on the general election some weeks ago. This has resulted in some routine inquiries and I confirm I will fully cooperate with these.

"I don't want to be a distraction from the campaign, I should have thought through how it looked."

A truly amazing understatement.

45 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Is there a difference between a gaffe, and a preplanned gaffe laid before the election was even called as a booby trap for later, other than the level of stupidity involved?

Craig Williams: Sunak aide admits placing bet on general election - BBC News

"I put a flutter on the general election some weeks ago. This has resulted in some routine inquiries and I confirm I will fully cooperate with these.

"I don't want to be a distraction from the campaign, I should have thought through how it looked."

A truly amazing understatement.

I know this will sound like hyperbole but it’s not.

These people want to be our MPs.  They want to make legislation and run the country.  The corruption/ illegality aside, why would anyone be willing to vote for someone so patently stupid?

Just now, Granny Danger said:

These people want to be our MPs.  They want to make legislation and run the country.  The corruption/ illegality aside, why would anyone be willing to vote for someone so patently stupid?

Boris Johnson,

Farage

Brian Donohue

Stick the right coloured rosette on it and any clown can get elected.

42 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Boris Johnson,

Farage

Brian Donohue

Stick the right coloured rosette on it and any clown can get elected.

Johnson isn’t stupid, he has an overinflated sense of entitlement which made him think he could get away with things that most folk wouldn’t.  And he did often and for a long time.

Farage isn’t stupid, he’s cunning, self-interested and knows what buttons to push.

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

This is the Sunak aide who bet on the date of the election.  Surely this photo should disqualify him for holding office.  Definitely oftw.

IMG_1661.jpeg.f7cc088649c7357ddd7a3beeaeb35c05.jpeg

"Hey Rishi.  I put a bet down that you would call an election on the 4th July and it would really help me out if you could do so because you do owe me one for that incident that never got in the papers and you know .."

Since we don’t have a minor election gaffes thread I’ll just put this here.

Another thick as pig shit Tory.  Not just a police complaint, but an actual complaint by the police.

London Tory MP candidate forced to withdraw campaign leaflets after police complaint

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/conservative-mp-candidate-hannah-gray-leaflets-beckenham-penge-bromley-b1163935.html

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I'm with you on this. Absolutely incredible, and if the Tories weren't so busy setting fire to themselves on a near daily basis I think/hope more would be made of it.

In addition to what you've said, I think he stood to win £500 from this bet? I dunno how much this p***k gets paid but I'm willing to bet that'll not make any difference to his life. Be like me winning a fiver. Why do it? Why be so fucking stupid? 

Absolutely hilarious that he has and has been caught though. 

Another thick as pig shit Tory.  Not just a police complaint, but an actual complaint by the police.

London Tory MP candidate forced to withdraw campaign leaflets after police complaint

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/conservative-mp-candidate-hannah-gray-leaflets-beckenham-penge-bromley-b1163935.html

The final paragraphs of that story are,

Former Tory MP Bob Stewart had represented Beckenham since 2010.

Ms Gray, a Conservative Bromley councillor and former opera singer, is hoping to retain the constituency for the party.

Liam Conlon, the son of Sir Keir Starmer’s chief of staff and partygate investigator Sue Gray, is standing for Labour candidate.

Wonder how he got that job.

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt here.

I can't imagine anyone thinks the backing of the Met is a positive for the candidate

50 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt here.

I can't imagine anyone thinks the backing of the Met is a positive for the candidate

I beg to differ, there will be folk in some parts of London who will think the Met are wonderful and that their jobs would be so much easier if they didn’t have to put up with undesirables and riff-raff* all the time.

It said the leaflets were being distributed across Bromley.  My only knowledge of Bromley is its metaphorical portrayal in the film ‘Pride’.  If that metaphor is accurate they’ll be Met lovers.

* poor people, immigrants, teenagers, homosexuals, environmentalists, etc.

8 hours ago, Beans on Toast said:

I'm with you on this. Absolutely incredible, and if the Tories weren't so busy setting fire to themselves on a near daily basis I think/hope more would be made of it.

In addition to what you've said, I think he stood to win £500 from this bet? I dunno how much this p***k gets paid but I'm willing to bet that'll not make any difference to his life. Be like me winning a fiver. Why do it? Why be so fucking stupid? 

Absolutely hilarious that he has and has been caught though. 

He's a Carlton Club member so doubt he desperately needed £400 to tide over his MP salary to next month.

It'll be an egotistical thrill, of doing over the bookies, or effectively printing yourself £.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I beg to differ, there will be folk in some parts of London who will think the Met are wonderful and that their jobs would be so much easier if they didn’t have to put up with undesirables and riff-raff* all the time.

It said the leaflets were being distributed across Bromley.  My only knowledge of Bromley is its metaphorical portrayal in the film ‘Pride’.  If that metaphor is accurate they’ll be Met lovers.

Leafy Kentish suburb, Tory as it comes, and one of the areas where Farage thought he'd have a chance of picking up votes from closet racists.

I used to live nearby. They had a nice shopping centre, where my mother met Spike Milligan.

I thought you meant undesirables they had recruited by mistake.

On 12/06/2024 at 18:04, DeeTillEhDeh said:

This sums up how out of touch he is.

As a child I didn't have a TV never mind Sky TV.

As a child my parents didn't bother buying car seats.  Staring out the window all we saw was clouds.  We had Sky TV before anyone.

41 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Leafy Kentish suburb, Tory as it comes, and one of the areas where Farage thought he'd have a chance of picking up votes from closet racists.

I used to live nearby. They had a nice shopping centre, where my mother met Spike Milligan.

spike2.jpg.fcf37775e34fa68097012e55b9bb443b.jpg