Lockdown Memories. We can laugh about it now

First lockdown I was still working in a travel call centre while no one was travelling so just processed a backlog of season ticket refunds with no one bothering me, and with not much to do I wasn't always skint on my low wages. 

My gf was staying on the outskirts of London so I moved in with her for it and her housemates stayed with their bfs so it was our first experience of staying together. Had a garden for the first time and the weather was great, went for a lot of runs and walks so honestly I didn't mind the first one too much. There was also the fun of the Hearts DEMOTION on here. 

Subsequent lockdowns back up in Edinburgh I had a  better but more demanding WFH job (I found out I hate WFH), had a bit of a breakdown, lost a lot of my sense of self, smoked a small amount of weed every day and ended up off work for 6 weeks and in the space of a year put on about 10 kilos. Would rather not remember those at all. 

I still mind the very odd feeling going going along Leith Walk for my one hour of allotted outdoor time a day and being surrounded by absolutely no one. Very surreal. Last time I had seen Edinburgh that quiet was the Beast from the East.

I remember the first Lockdown as being sunny days constantly, just always seemed to be nice days in April/May.  It was magic finishing work and having a cold beer in the garden literally 30 seconds after shutting the laptop down.

I was told to WFH in the weeks before Lockdown, which suited my lifestyle at the time to work around school runs.  We’ve never went back to working in the office, which I absolutely love.  Lockdown/Covid hitting has made my work/life balance infinitely better.

Home schooling was grim though, I don’t recall it being too bad in the first one, but following Christmas 2020 when all the kids were issued with iPads in our area it was an utter nightmare to try and complete whilst also trying to work.

As someone else pointed out, there is no chance that another Lockdown would be adhered to by the general population within the next 100 years.

50 minutes ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

The shopping situation with respect to toilet roll, flour etc just showed society for what it is. 

There is no chance that people follow the rules of any future lockdowns. None. 

The shopping situation would only get worse next time.

There'll be principled folk who never partook in such recklessness last time around who will have learned that nice people finish last.

11 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

All the cash I made from supplying unusable PPE

Hiya Michelle Mone, hiya pal. 

1 hour ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Working from home 3/4 of the time was new and great for me.

Home schooling while holding down said job is still not something I can laugh about. There was zero excuse for teachers not being on MST or Zoom with the kids for a few hours a day.

The shopping situation with respect to toilet roll, flour etc just showed society for what it is. 

There is no chance that people follow the rules of any future lockdowns. None. 

On the plus side, the outbreaks of "I didn't expect airborne Ebola to kill MY entire family!" will be keep us amused through the end times.

Getting pished on a Tuesday night watching the latest episode of season 5 (I think) of Better Call Saul.  Glorious.

Driving through Edinburgh city centre and being the only car on the road. Working stupid hours 6 days a week was less fun.

The collective melting down of the islands brains was no better encapsulated than by the rise of captain tom. 

His rendition of you’ll never walk alone with Michael ball had me in absolute tears laughing, while folk were selling it as a genuinely inspirational moment. 

Poor guy absolutely rinsed by his daughter in his final days. He seemed like a genuinely nice man tbh but that whole circus was utterly incredible to watch unfold. 

Lockdown memories for me (including all of 03/2020 - 2021):

• Being in Berlin when it hit there and everything shutting around me
  • Coming home to supermarket chaos 
  • Nearly a year on furlough
  • Started a podcast 
  • Sitting in empty stadiums at football was shite
  • Never felt as flush for cash in my life
  • Splitting up with my partner
  • So much Xbox
  • Bought my first flat
  • Went on my first solo holiday
  • While on that holiday, the main event - seeing St Pauli - was called off because the other team got covid
  • Kelly Brooks pants being on sale in Denholms 🤷🏼
Spoiler

PXL_20211103_195231219_MP.thumb.jpg.c73d43f9bb6bfe8591a4df17fd9eb528.jpg

I didn't have the worst of times and enjoyed it for what it was tbh.

1 hour ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

There was zero excuse for teachers not being on MST or Zoom with the kids for a few hours a day.

This is exactly what did happen.

Whilst getting to go offshore as a 'key worker' meant you could still have some human contact, I found the meal times somewhay depressing.

It was pretty much like a return to below; prison meets exams.

exams-e1566406828204.thumb.jpg.863cb3f46f9a51b39c3814809db30eae.jpg

Queues in the corridors waiting for somebody to exit a room, just so that the OIM didn't go nuts if he saw more than 3 people in a room that would normally seat 9.

Problem is that they got rid of all the couches and replaced them with single armchairs, meaning everyone now just sits looking forwards, usually on their phones.  P1sh.

In a strange way, I probably preferred full lockdown to the half baked, mask wearing, overly engineered opening up of stuff. I just didn’t really enjoy trips to the pub, meals etc during that time.