Group C 🇸🇮🇩🇰🇷🇸🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Val Doonican speaks :-

Gareth Southgate's verdict

"The performance was not what we would have hoped. At the moment we’re not using the ball well enough, and if you do that you’ll suffer as we have at times tonight. There’s another level we have to find.

(Are you telling them to drop deep after scoring?) No. We’ve played two teams who are quite fluid with back threes, and it’s not easy to put pressure on them, but we have to do that better. That’s been part of the problem – but so has not keeping the ball.

We wanted to get Conor on because we needed more energy and we needed to press better. (On Trent Alexander-Arnold) Look he’s had some moments where he’s delivered what we thought he would. We know it is an experiment, and we know we don’t have a natural replacement for a Kalvin Phillips. We’re trying some different things and at the moment we’re not flowing as we would like.

(On subbing Harry Kane) We needed energy and fresh legs to press. Harry’s only had one 90-minute game in a month, so that was the decision we took.

There’s a huge amount of work to do, that’s evident. We have to stay tight. We understand people will be disappointed with the performances, and rightly so. We’ve got make them better."

1 minute ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

You did. He actually plays for Broadford Thistle.

Must have been Brentford looking at their squad... Just ahead of S&S but by not much

3 minutes ago, guinness said:

Greeting faced commentators as usual. For fox sake your through to the knockout stages. We would take it all day long. Plus Denmark are no mugs either. Get fecking on with it ya privileged twats.

Yeah it happens all the time now with England. There's always at least one game that requires a "post-mortem" then before you know it they're in the quarters. 

29 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Oh no. Gary Linwoker has criticised Harry Kane for being a useless lazy c**t.

Hell be getting pelters.

The english MSM will be along shortly blaming a german conspiracy.

40 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

Sensible points from Lineker about Kane tbf

Was especially good as it came straight after Rio Ferdinand dribbling on about his fantastic movement whilst they showed the goal where he basically stood stock still until the ball landed at his feet. 

Admittedly Southgate is too defensive and can't get the best from these decent players, however in the Premier League they are surrounded by overseas class players which must make a difference. England always last eight, no more or less. Maybe a gung-ho type manager would get more, just needs more tempo from the start.

11 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

No. I’m still there. Are you?

My two accounts got suspended but I have others I’m using now. I looked for you a while back and didn’t find you and assumed you were off. I’ve found you now.

1 hour ago, SlayerX said:

I took pelters when I said that McGregor or Gilmour would walk into the England midfield.

I don't care what anyone says. They would

The Swiss midfield is easily the equivalent to the Danish midfield. McGregor and Gilmour controlled their match more than Rice and Trent did theirs.

Stuart Pierce once said that Rice is a centerback. If you pair him up with Trent then it's a centerback and a fullback in midfield.

It's hardly Southgate's fault England don't produce playnakers, though.

Another bright spark was telling me that Mainoo is a world class midfielder as he plays for club and country at 19. I didn't let on that I'm a Manchester United fan and I know all about Mainoo.

As I said previously in this thread. England are the world champions at being self publisists. The weird thing is when Scottish people believe the hype. There are a fair few of them here.

All points are logical.  However, the hype could possibly be justified in the right context.  In my teens watching John Barnes at Anfield, which I drone on about, I made peace with the fact that despite him being a fantastic player,  England could do nowt with him.  Yet it was he who, allegedly, did nothing for England.  In my mind, this JB should have had his own hype-man in the style of the soul legend.  No England fan will tell me any different.  Take this excerpt from a Guardian article about John Barnes and apply it to eg. Paul Scholes and Phil Foden.  John Barnes has been asked about Phil Foden, if you catch any snippets.  Oh and Gazza should have gone to Liverpool and not Spurs.

Barnes should be remembered as one of the greatest British footballers; perhaps running George Best close for the title of most naturally talented, with Paul Gascoigne for company. That successive England managers failed to get the best out of him is indicative of the lack of imagination and flexibility that has held the England team back for so long.

16 minutes ago, Red Kite said:

All points are logical.  However, the hype could possibly be justified in the right context.  In my teens watching John Barnes at Anfield, which I drone on about, I made peace with the fact that despite him being a fantastic player,  England could do nowt with him.  Yet it was he who, allegedly, did nothing for England.  In my mind, this JB should have had his own hype-man in the style of the soul legend.  No England fan will tell me any different.  Take this excerpt from a Guardian article about John Barnes and apply it to eg. Paul Scholes and Phil Foden.  John Barnes has been asked about Phil Foden, if you catch any snippets.  Oh and Gazza should have gone to Liverpool and not Spurs.

Barnes should be remembered as one of the greatest British footballers; perhaps running George Best close for the title of most naturally talented, with Paul Gascoigne for company. That successive England managers failed to get the best out of him is indicative of the lack of imagination and flexibility that has held the England team back for so long.

Na, there’s only one manager Gazza should have signed for, and that’s Fergie.  Would have gone on to be one of the best in the world going on how good he was in his early twenties under Alex.  And I’m no Man Utd fan.