Early 2024/25 predictions

On 20/07/2024 at 14:11, edinburghhonestman said:

I think this season might be the hardest to call in a few years as there's not much between many of the sides and injuries, suspensions and luck will play a huge part. With that caveat, here goes.

1. Raith Rovers. Plenty of players who were part of the side that did so well last year and some decent additions. I don't think they'll get as many late results as last season but I think they'll nick it.

2. Partick Thistle. Decent squad depth especially in midfield plus Brian Graham's goals. Might hit a sticky patch if BBG gets injured as the drop of in quality is an issue.

3. Ayr United. Recruited well and of all the sides who were much of a muchness last year I think we've improved the most. Will look to play out from the back but, as the Falkirk game showed, can go long if pressed. Look out for Marco Rus.

4. Livingston. Not the best side to drop down in recent years but will have enough about them not to sink.

5. Falkirk. I think the next 3 sides will be close but as they have the most settled side I think they'll pick up enough early points to nick 5th.

6. Airdrie. Seemed to be doom and gloom a few weeks ago but look to have recruited well enough. Will stick to their play out from the back approach so can be picked off 

7. Morton. Big turnover of players means they're likely to make their habitually poor start but Imrie has shown before that he can build a solid side.

8. Queens Park. Losing Paton is an issue and I don't see Rudden contributing as many goals. How long can Dom Thomas keep digging them out?

9. Dunfermline. Recruitment has been poor and McPake has been getting his excuses in early. I suspect they can't afford to sack him. Now that ICT have gone I think they just pip Queens Park as the worst run club in the league. I think they'll just pip Accies.

10. Hamilton Accies. Don't think they'll be pushovers and made a couple of decent signings. The step up might be too much as everyone bar QP and Dunfermline could be better than last season.

Completely prepared to be massively wrong on what looks to be a really interesting season.

Going to change this based on the League Cup to:

Raith

Partick

Ayr

Livingston 

Falkirk 

Airdrie 

Queens Park

Hamilton 

Morton

Dunfermline 

The way things are looking I can see the bottom two starting to be cut adrift fairly early.

On 28/05/2024 at 10:43, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Absolutely wide open imo

1. Raith Rovers

2. Dunfermline

3. Falkirk

4. Livingston

5. Partick Thistle

6. Airdrie

7. Hamilton

8. Ayr

9. Queens Park

10. Mortenth

Amazing how a few league cup games can change so much

1. Raith Rovers

2. Falkirk

3. Partick Thistle 

4. Ayr

5. Airdrie

6. Livingston

7. Hamilton

8. Queens Park

9. Dunfermline

10. Morten 

On 30/06/2024 at 19:53, Ian Mcleod said:

Right now as the cup games do start getting closer I would go with 

1st Partick Thistle 

2nd Raith Rovers 

3rd Ayr United 

4th Falkirk 

5th Morton 

6th Hamilton 

7th Airdrie 

8th Livingston 

9th Queens Park 

10th Dunfermline 

I've put Morton up a couple of places since they have made a couple of decent signings since losing a few of there best players. Airdrie have fallen a bit they've lost a few experienced players and have replaced them with young players seems like they do have one of the lowest budgets in the league and one of the weakest squads but I can still see McCabe getting results which will keep them in the league currently. As it stands for me Queens Park and Dunfermline are falling behind the rest of the league seen a few rumours that Ruari Paton could be leaving Queens Park if that was the case then I would have Queens Park bottom. 

Final Prediction now that the League Cup has concluded

1st Partick Thistle - I think Partick will win the league this year and I have had them to win the championship during the full pre season I think all the signings they've made have been good signings. Seems like they're still trying to bring Adeloye back as well which would be another good addition. They have a really good squad with a strong bench as well which is important in this league and I imagine they'll add more to that before the window ends. 

2nd Raith Rovers- I think Raith will finish 2nd again this season I don't really think they've improved much on last season yet however they still have a lot of good players. Paul Hanlon and Lewis Stevenson are good players but I do think it's a risk they've given these players 2 and 3 year deals giving both of they're ages. I do think there's a good chance that Raith will get promoted to the premiership in the near future however I do have questions if it will be under Ian Murray he seems to have a history of falling short at the last hurdle with both Airdrie and with Raith last season and even with Raith in the challenge cup final against us the season before that. 

3rd Ayr United- I am expecting Ayr to be in for a good season a lot of they're signings have impressed me such as McMann, Harry Stone, Oakley, getting Dowds back on a permanent deal. Marco Rus also seems highly by the Ayr fans however i admittedly haven't seen much of him yet. Dowds and Oakley is a really good striking championship partnership and they could both easily hit double digits this season. Seems like they're still needing to improve the depth over the next month but if they're able to do that then I expect them to make the playoffs and potentially even challenge Partick and Raith for the title.

4th Falkirk- they have kept pretty much all of their squad which comfortably won L1 last season and I think they will just about make the play-offs this season which would be a really good first season back in the championship however I don't think they will challenge for the title this season.

5th Airdrie- This has been the hardest one to call for me it really wouldn't shock me if they finished anywhere I personally think Rhys McCabe is the best manager in this division and he will get everything out of the squad he has and they have added a couple of good players in guys like Ben Wilson and Murray Johnson however they've noticeably lost nearly all of their experience in what was already a young squad and haven't really added any experience which could turn out to cost Airdrie. 

6th Accies- it doesn't surprise me that a lot of people have predicted us to finish last or in the relegation playoff after how bad we were in our last championship campaign however things have changed under the new board. There are still people who will question John Rankin and understandably so however he does need to be given credit where it's due for getting us straight back up. I've been happy with pretty much all of our signings so far especially with the attacking players we've added but it's important that we improve the defence over the next month and add a good creative midfielder if we are able to do that then I think we should have enough to stay up which is the main goal this season.

7th Livingston- majority of people have predicted Livingston top 4 but to me there just feels like there is something massively off with Livingston they give me similar vibes to ourselves when we came down from the premiership and it wouldn't surprise me if they also end up falling into L1 at some point in the next couple of seasons. I think this season they have a decent enough defence and midfield but their attacking options don't look good enough to me. They've added Smith from us who done well last season in L1 but really struggled in the championship for us last time. Winter from us who was terrible last season in L1. Robbie Muirhead was always OK for Morton but nothing special. Sole and Korbona have questionable records. Tete Yengi might be OK but I question if that will be enough. I believe there is also some ownership drama going on at Livingston right now which could end up causing more chaos. I have a feeling that Martindale won't see the season out.

8th Morton- they've lost a lot of their best players and have brought in a few decent ones in however I have questions over a few of the signings they've made so far Imrie always seems to be able to turn mediocre players into good championship players but I think at some point they're luck is going to run out and it wouldn't surprise me if it was to happen this season. 

9th Queens Park- a huge blow for them to lose Ruari Paton. Zak Rudden isn't a terrible replacement and he will score goals for Queens Park but he won't be anywhere near as good for Queens Park as Paton was. Queens Park seem to have pretty much no depth and if they were to have a lot of injuries they could end up being in serious trouble at the moment I don't think they have enough to stay up however that could change if they were to add more players in the next month. Be interesting to see what sort of season Grant Savoury has as he was a stand out 2 seasons ago but was injured for all of last season.

10th Dunfermline- I think just reading at their thread you can tell that Dunfermline are in a bit of a mess at the moment. The full goalkeeping issue. They've lost to both Cove and Forfar at home. Like Queens Park they have little to no depth and if they were to make a couple of signings in the next month it really could change everything but at the moment I think they're in for a really tough season. I also can't see James McPake lasting the season. 

1 - Raith Rovers (more in hope than anything else)

2 - Partick Thistle (reckon it will go down to the wire)

3 - Livingston (As much as I want them to finish 10th just can't see it)

4 Ayr United ( seem to have recruited well)

5 - Falkirk (touch and go for the play offs)

6 - Airdrie (decent cup campaign, don't mean anything when it comes to league fixtures)

7 - Morton (not as weak as some on here suggesting for me)

8 - Queens Park (should just about scrape the seaside play off games)

9 - Hamilton (again touch and go, 5th to 10th up for grabs really)

10 - Dunfermline (really hope I'm wrong but they look a complete shambles at the moment)

9 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

1 - Raith Rovers (more in hope than anything else)

2 - Partick Thistle (reckon it will go down to the wire)

3 - Livingston (As much as I want them to finish 10th just can't see it)

4 Ayr United ( seem to have recruited well)

5 - Falkirk (touch and go for the play offs)

6 - Airdrie (decent cup campaign, don't mean anything when it comes to league fixtures)

7 - Morton (not as weak as some on here suggesting for me)

8 - Queens Park (should just about scrape the seaside play off games)

9 - Hamilton (again touch and go, 5th to 10th up for grabs really)

10 - Dunfermline (really hope I'm wrong but they look a complete shambles at the moment)

In danger of getting whooshed here but why would a Raith Rovers fan “really hope I’m wrong” about their rivals Dunfermline finishing bottom? 

Just now, ayrunitedfw said:

In danger of getting whooshed here but why would a Raith Rovers fan “really hope I’m wrong” about their rivals Dunfermline finishing bottom? 

Just to keep the Fife derby alive if we don't go up more than anything else, also have a lot of good pals who support them, don't get me wrong the pointing and laughing would be fab but I really hope Livi finish 10th as I despise them.

Last year I completely ignored league cup group stage results which came back to bite me on the arse with Airdrie, but I'm now cautious of not going too far the other way. I've had in my head for a while now Livi will either skate the league by 10+ points or finish 6th or lower. There's more jeopardy and LOLs in the latter so let's go with that. 

Livi aside, us and Raith probably start as favourites but neither have looked great in the LC group stages. Both sides have made signings that fill obvious holes from last year but there are questions over whether this year's Raith are closer to the first half of last season or the second, and Thistle as it stands are heavily reliant on Brian Graham holding off old father time for another year.

Falkirk and Ayr are similar in terms of optimism, can see both being top 2 come October but faltering a bit second quarter as teams adjust to them. How they react in January will determine lots but think they're best equipped for now to finish top 4.

If McCabe keeps pulling rabbits out of hats for Airdrie with signings having lost a few good players from last year then he won't be there come January which is why I've capped them at 5th. QP like last season could be anything, the league cup results have been entertaining if nothing else.

My view of Morton over the close season has been : they're fucked--> no actually they'll be OK--> no they're definitely fucked--> well they might be OK. They normally have a dreadful first quarter (hopefully we can kickstart that on Saturday) but should have enough about them to survive

Hamilton are probably a bit better than I'm giving them credit for but I'm prejudiced by them having half a dozen guys or so who have stunk the place out for us at this level, a lot will depend on whether Shaw can find his Kilmarnock form

I don't think Dunfermline should really be 10th with their squad but they seem a shambles off the park which in a league with no obvious fall guy makes them the most likely.

Raith
Thistle
Falkirk
Ayr
Airdrie
QP
Livi
Morton
Hamilton
Dunfermline

Edited by Fuctifano

My first go at this, let's see how I do

1. Livi
2. Ayr
3. Thistle
4. Raith
5. Airdrie
6. Falkirk
7. QP
8. Hamilton
9. Morton
10. Dunfermline

A lot of guesswork, a lot of vibes
Would have thistle top but getting beat off Clyde moves you down 2 spots in my ranking (after all, we haven't lost to them since '19 if memory serves)

4 hours ago, keyser_soze said:

Just to keep the Fife derby alive if we don't go up more than anything else, also have a lot of good pals who support them, don't get me wrong the pointing and laughing would be fab but I really hope Livi finish 10th as I despise them.

Birthday caird pish.

Get them down.

After the League Cup, and the fact we have no proper striker, as well as we have the pace of a week in the pokey, I'm revising for now....

Partick

Ayr

Falkirk

Raith (just by the skin of oor baws)

Livingston

Airdrie

Dunfermline

Morton

Hamilton

Queens Park

Edited by Heid_The_Baw

Okay League Cup group stage out the way and the league starts Friday so time to have a stab at predicting possibly the most unpredictable league Falkirk have ever been involved in.

1. Partick - decent signings, decent manager, been through it all before so experienced, Brian Graham will still score

2. Raith - bit like above, but a lot will depend on Lewis Vaughn fitness

3. Livvi - expect all the payments they've received, experience and a street wise manager to see them alright

4. Falkirk - we have a good squad and I'm optimistic but not sure how we will react to defeats after not losing for so long. Like other squads will need a bit of luck avoiding injuries. Think the outfield squad is really good but personally would have liked a commanding experienced keeper signed in the close season. 

5. Ayr - Seem to have signed well and playing an attacking pressing game under Brown, think these middle league positions really could go in any order TBH. A lot will depend on how many goals Oakley and Dowds will bag

6. Airdrie - Rhys McCabe is a manager I rate highly, plays good attacking football, lost some decent players but am confident he'll rebuild well, another club that could finish higher than I'm predicting

7. Queens Park - Bit of an unknown for me, again another experienced manager, they potentially have money available to strengthen if needed, fans seem to think short of 2-3 players at the mo, so might depend whats brought in by end August.

8. Hamilton - Again really difficult to predict, saw a lot of them last season and they were largely poor v Falkirk. Rankin did well though to get them straight back up and relatively comfortably through the play off v Inverness. Not sure if they will have enough goals in them to finish in the top half and need to predict someone in the bottom half, so 8th it is!

9. Morton - Struggled in the League Cup and don't see much, as yet in the new squad to see a top half finish

10. Dunfermline - Squad seems really small, with only a few decent players and lacking budget to improve things. Fans seem unhappy with McPake and his formations and way of playing. Had our number 2 seasons ago so hopefully this wont be the case this season

Never known a league so difficult to predict but that makes it one of the most anticipated seasons I've looked forward to in a long time. Quite a lot of ambitious experienced managers in this league which will make it even more spicy.

Edited by bridge of allan bairn

On 08/07/2024 at 15:17, AuldReekie said:

Having followed some of the pre-season prep and signings, thought I'd update my prediction ahead of league cup:

• Livi
  • Partick
  • Raith
  • Ayr
  • Pars
  • Falkirk
  • Queens Park
  • Airdrie
  • Morton
  • Hamilton

While Raith made the early moves and their defence looks Premiership quality, not convinced they've quite strengthened in attack - and if they don't fly in first quarter, can see things getting mighty tense in Kirkcaldy. By far, under the most pressure this season I think.

Still not sure what to make of Livi but I expect them to be strong enough to match Partick and Raith, and over the course of the season I think they'll navigate bumps in the road better.

Partick have probably the best balance of last year's Championship teams but a lot will depend on whether they can get the same again from Brian Graham. I'd like to think most of those teams aiming for promotion playoffs have a better plan for dealing with him - and he's not getting any younger.

Ayr feel like they have potential for breaking out after the summer. Couple of decent signings and I imagine Brown will have given them a bit of an edge they've been missing heading into this campaign.

Beyond that, slightly encouraged by Pars' pre-season and signing of Kane/Wotherspoon but a combination of questionable GK/defence and an inability to score does not make for success. Hope to be proven wrong but still think we'll be in the middle third this season along with Falkirk, Queen's Park, Airdrie and Morton. Not seen enough from Hamilton to know that they've have prepped for the step up.

Hmph. Completely mis-read pre-season form, where previously I was "slightly encouraged", I am now "very concerned". 

So, final prediction:

• Partick
  • Raith
  • Livi
  • Ayr
  • Airdrie
  • Falkirk
  • Queens Park
  • Pars
  • Morton
  • Hamilton

Continue not to be convinced by Raith, and I've said before, I suspect they'll feel the most acute pressure given the early moves and investment they've made. Good chance they have the depth and pockets to be in contention but I still think Partick have better balance and been quietly going about their business, which will relieve some of the pressure.

Was not impressed with Livi against us a few weeks ago and was tempted to have them further down the league, but like Raith, I think they can dig deep if they need to. 

After that, Ayr, Airdrie and Falkirk all have much to be reasonably excited about the season ahead.

Don't really see much between last four, although if current form/circumstance continued to end of season, I'd have us 10th and relegated. As it is, if you are going to have a crisis, the very start of the season is the time to do it and unless there's a remarkable turn around in the next couple, I expect major changes at EEP. Board taking a lot of heat (quite rightly too), but I genuinely don't think they're about to walk away and sink their investment. While I'm grateful for what McPake has done and tried to work through, a pretty thin squad doesn't excuse the performances and results and I'd be surprised if he's still here at the end of September. A lot of self-reflection required at all levels of the club, and while it's difficult to see how we could be much worse, I think we could make ground pretty quickly if the board get their act together in the next month or two.