Plastic Pitches Dilemma

The five Championship clubs with plastic surfaces all appear to have ambitions of promotion to the Premiership, so how do they handle the dilemma of funding a challenge off the pitch as well as on it? Should your club throw everything at the title next season then use the new funds to replace the pitch the following season? The only other options would be to go all in with pitch and playing staff improvements, or to fund the new pitch now and wait for next season to fund a promotion challenge.

Posted (edited)

Benefits of staying in the Championship:

• Get to keep sensible, high-quality, cost-efficient artificial pitch
  • No games against Celtgers
  • Decent chance of having a tilt at the title
  • No relentless, depressing, year-in, year-out grind to avoid relegation
  • Usually a few games against quaint small-town clubs like Arbroath, Alloa, or Falkirk
  • Entry into what used to be the Challenge Cup, with a decent chance of actually winning something once the kids' teams are papped out
  • Don't have to play Livingston (temporarily suspended)
Edited by BFTD
Apostrophe. Dearie me.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

• Usually a few games against quaint small-town clubs like Arbroath, Alloa, or Falkirk
  • Entry into what used to be the Challenge Cup, with a decent chance of actually winning something once the kids' teams are papped out

Look Out Oh No GIF by Mashed

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I was trying to remember the name of those fuckers.

I'm sure half the dimples on my puss were initially caused by one of them! 

Final game of the season, Falkirk v Raith. Both level on points, it's winner takes all for the title.

The game finishes 3-3 after 6 own goals, now into penalties where no one has scored after 10 pens. 

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

A topic so serious that @DreamOakTree1 posted it over two hours ago and not one single red dot from fellow Morton fans. 

That serious!

Give them time CB! 
TBH my first thought when I saw this news was a selfish one of how this might benefit Morton. Then I started to think what it would be like to hear this news if Morton had a plastic pitch. I’ve read that they can help bond the local community with the club etc. so there’s more than the financial side to consider.

The most artificial part of Scottish Football is the 12 club closed shop they call the Premiership. 

8 hours ago, BFTD said:

The best thing is no VAR.

Airdrie haven't been in the top flight for 32 years so i'm in no rush to tear up the pitch on the basis we might go up. Presumably if a team with a plastic pitch does go up a grass pitch could be laid over the close season with some type of ground share arrangement for the first month of the season if needed? 

Since hybrid pitches seem to be causing more injuries in England than natural surfaces, they should also be banned in fitba….what, who uses them? Well, so what, it’s for the players safety the vote was taken, right?

3 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Airdrie haven't been in the top flight for 32 years so i'm in no rush to tear up the pitch on the basis we might go up. Presumably if a team with a plastic pitch does go up a grass pitch could be laid over the close season with some type of ground share arrangement for the first month of the season if needed? 

I believe you need to apply to the SPFL to groundshare, and it wouldn't be guaranteed.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Give them time CB! 
TBH my first thought when I saw this news was a selfish one of how this might benefit Morton. Then I started to think what it would be like to hear this news if Morton had a plastic pitch. I’ve read that they can help bond the local community with the club etc. so there’s more than the financial side to consider.

The most artificial part of Scottish Football is the 12 club closed shop they call the Premiership. 

The thing is it’s artificial surfaces now, what’s the next obstacle they will find to prevent other clubs joining the party. It could be things like all spectators have to be under cover, certain criteria for TV/media gantries like they do in the English Prem, sauce for pies have to be supplied by a certain company, they could come up with anything. It may not mean changes  at  your individual club now but who knows what they will come up with next.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

18 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

A topic so serious that @DreamOakTree1 posted it over two hours ago and not one single red dot from fellow Morton fans. 

That serious!

No reds because it’s a constructive, decent post. Maybe food for thought going forward, DOT? As said - I can’t imagine what’s going through the minds of Championship teams pushing for promotion next season. Apart from the huge investment they’ve already made putting down the surface, I’m sure that the prospect of having to rip it all up and replace it with grass isn’t an especially enticing one. There’s also the new and ongoing costs of a groundsman, seeding, mowing, covers … the list is a long one.