Just How Bad Could It Get ?

From our perspective, obviously the worst case scenario would be us getting absolutely pumped in all three games.  I don't think that's very likely though, although I do fear Germany deciding they fancy it in the opening game.  So I'd say the worst case we could end up with realistically would be Germany absolutely dismantling us, and then never managing to lift ourselves for the final two games.  Most galling would be going into the final game still with a chance, even after two defeats, and then putting in one of those truly insipid performances and going out with a whimper.

More hilariously awful would be England winning it obviously.  Or even us somehow making it to the knockouts and England putting us out convincingly on their way to win it (I've no idea how possible that even is unless we go deep).

17 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

I keep having visions of Germany's 7-1 hammering of Brazil at the WC. I enjoyed it at the time, especially as they were weaing Rob Roy jerseys, but supposing the new generation decide to start off with a similar performance? And in Scottish fitba race memory become The New Peru?

That Germany v Brazil game was one of the funniest things I have seen in my life.

54 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

That Germany v Brazil game was one of the funniest things I have seen in my life.

It was incredible.  My flatmate had been out at something and only came in at half time.
"What's the score?"
"5-0 for Germany."
"Aye, ha ha. What's the score?"
"It's 5-0 for Germany."

Posted (edited)

A flurry of injuries leads to late call ups for Scotland and England, who scud us 5-0 in the semis largely thanks to a Nigel Farage hat-trick.

Ryan Gauld makes his debut in the game but trips over Kieran Tierney in the first minute injuring himself and resulting in Kieran's hamstring shattering into a thousand shards of glass. Neither player ever plays for Scotland again.

Pie and Bovril then descends into an endless argument about whether our qualification from the group makes this the greatest Scotland team ever, with half the posters taking the discussion seriously, two fifths ignoring it entirely, and the final tenth making tiring attempts at ironic trolling, bluntly caricaturing one side or the other and then sitting smugly while they wait to be congratulated on how clever they are.

Edited by The Algebraist

Honestly couldn't care less if England won the tournament and don't get the hatred by some people towards them. There team each year is consistently full of excellent players and will win something at some point. I have more dislike for the Irish and Welsh tbh. 

Posted (edited)

The depth of the squad does look a bit grim at present but this team isn't exactly renowned for shipping goals these days so think thie OP  is a bit over dramatic tbh.

Edited by gannonball

Just now, Butters Scotch said:

Honestly couldn't care less if England won the tournament and don't get the hatred by some people towards them. There team each year is consistently full of excellent players and will win something at some point. I have more dislike for the Irish and Welsh tbh. 

For me its not particularly the team it's everything else that comes with it. We will just never hear the end of it. During these tournaments it becomes almost impossible to escape.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

More hilariously awful would be England winning it obviously.

If England don’t win this tournament with the players at their disposal (especially in midfield and forward positions) then I’ll be really surprised.
They must surely be seen as one of the favourites to win this and the next WC.

Obviously I’d love to see them collapse in glorious fashion! 

4 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

With current form suggesting that Scotland may be on course for an unwelcome piece of Euro history against Germany by suffering the heaviest defeat in the tournaments history, the simple question is....just how bad could it get.  ? I am, of course, desperately trying to invoking a reverse Argentina '78 scenario ...

image.jpeg.7783bc49c09d744573759292aa079bb8.jpeg

image.jpeg.98110b3694fe1be80d8b86e9e4ca420a.jpeg

The issue with England has always been the media and how much they bum them up every time there's a tournament. Makes it all the sweeter when they get put out but i can unfortunately see them winning something soon. They have far too many quality players atm and Bellingham is looking like a real superstar in the making.

The only team with the level of player England have atm is France. They have a superb squad, hopefully they turn up, along with every team playing england. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Butters Scotch said:

Rugby Union - I genuinely dislike Wales more than England.

Fitba’ - I genuinely don’t hate the English fitba’ team, but I certainly don’t want them to win anything. My dislike is for individuals… John Terry, Ashley Cole, Jack Grealish, Jordan Pickford…

The Welsh fitba’ team don’t bother me one way or the other, a bit like the entire Welsh nation in fact. They exist, don’t bother me much, Manics & Stereophonics are decent, and Tom Jones can still belt out a tune at age 107….  but their fitba’ fans with those stupid bucket hats can GTF.

Everyone has their own opinion. Obviously. 😃

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, Butters Scotch said:

I was agreeing with you until you turned on the Irish and Welsh. What have they done to you?

I couldn’t give a shit if England win it. Fair play to them if they ever manage it.

2 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

The fascination with England is tedious. It is annoying having to listen to them, but the airtime given to that minor blip in life by Scots is verging on pathetic.

Focus on the support for Scotland.

By all means hope England lose when their game is on.

After that leave it alone.

4 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Germany smashing Ukraine 

***checks notes***

0-0 doesn't give me too much fear.

Obviously opening night will be a different occasion but the team and manager could surprise a few folk, in a good way.

🤞

The German team has been close to identical in their last 3 games. Rudiger and Kroos missed out last night because of the UCL final and Ter Stegen also, not sure why.

If I ever get to the point where Scotland qualifying for a tournament makes me miserable in case we're not very good, I'll stop watching.

I don't get this weird miserableness at all. I swear it hasn't always been like this; I'm sure folk used to get quite excited when we were shite at tournaments on the regular. Certainly seemed like it. Maybe we've all forgotten/have never known how much fun just having the opportunity is.