Germany - Scotland

Old Bing

Just 1 goal for a bit of hope at least, but from where? As well as Ross Laidlaw, Simon Murray super sub time would have been nice. Hey ho, just dreaming...

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Again, it's the old, need your team to be firing on all cylinders whilst the bigger team has an off day and neither are happening.

It's not an excuse, it's just facts.

Doesn't help that we've been shite granted but even if we turned up and played our best tonight we are not laying a glove on this German side when they turn up.

You’re right but we have been shite. From start to (almost) finish. Tactics, performance and attitude have been honking. 

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Again, it's the old, need your team to be firing on all cylinders whilst the bigger team has an off day and neither are happening.

It's not an excuse, it's just facts.

Doesn't help that we've been shite granted but even if we turned up and played our best tonight we are not laying a glove on this German side when they turn up.

It’s not about Germany. We had a complete collapse with another bizarre approach at the last tournament against the Czech’s. 

He’s completely fucked both and clearly not attempted to try win the games. If you’re going to play football from the Stone Age and park the bus then you need be be good at defending. We aren’t.

Mats Hummels not even making the German squad and we're going with Porteous, Hanley, Hendry and McKenna. If that doesn't highlight the level difference, I dunno what does.

Just now, Shotgun said:

BBC saying Fullkrug's shot was clocked at 111 km/h.

I'm more impressed by the 'ball spin one revolution per second' stat they displayed on the telly.

Just now, Unleash The Nade said:

What is the fucking point on bringing on Shankland now ???

Giving whoever he replaced a break ahead of Wednesday. Bringing on as many subs as possible in this game is the only thing Steve Clarke has got right here.

2 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Spread the misery around. 

19 minutes ago, Raven said:

Utter bull. What are you pretending I'm demanding? I'm not talking all out attack here or pressing them all over the park. Look at that first goal, for example, can you honestly say defending like that is acceptable?

How should this defending be resolved? 

18 minutes ago, Albertlegend said:

I get that Germany have better players than us in every position but that’s no excuse for inviting the pressure on and giving them acres of space in midfield, we had to get in their face and make things difficult and we haven’t got close.

im not one for saying we need passion and to hammer opposition players, but we need to get close to them and at least try and give them something to think about! 

Which wouldn't have worked with Scotland's chosen midfield - or Gilmour as an alternative - against Germany's this evening. 

I completely agree that Scotland's midfield has been the big, huge, abysmal issue - but they're not capable of pressing the ball effectively at this top class level. The expected trade-off was that their better use of the ball would relieve more pressure - but McGregor and the rest have simply been completely found out on that score and also couldn't keep weans out of a close.

That's not really a tactical or approach to the game issue.

16 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I mean we’ve been pish punting it up the park as well.

We’ve just been pish at everything really

Correct - there's no way of rearranging a pack of dung players and no real out ball that wouldn't get eviscerated against the Germans at their level of performance. 

11 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I don't believe we are at the level where expecting them to have a shot on goal, never mind on target, is considered far fetched.

The first goal made it far fetched.  As soon as you're chasing a game, the opportunities dwindle to nothing. Germany could keep the ball as long as they needed to find opportunities and it didn't take long for them to arrive. 

2 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Moaned about him not starting,  moaned about him coming on, are you ever happy?

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Giving whoever he replaced a break ahead of Wednesday. Bringing on as many subs as possible in this game is the only thing Steve Clarke has got right here.

Why ?

Surely they can’t be tired as they’ve done f**k all