Germany - Scotland

Old Bing

28 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

How do you type things in an accent? Language/dialect, yes, but accent? No.

I don’t know how you do it either. Only nine miles away from me in Falkirk, they don’t ken how you do it.

11 hours ago, GordonS said:

The American anthem is about their war of independence with England, same as ours.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952jb3hscug360vk74dgt

It's about an incident almost 40yrs later during their war of 1812 with the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland...

... noteworthily during which regiments including Royal Scots Fusiliers, commanded by a Scottish admiral and an Irishman, burnt down Washington the White House and Capitol...

1920px-The_President's_House_by_George_Munger,_1814-1815_-_Crop.jpg
615px-US_Capitol_1814c.jpg
Rear-Admiral_George_Cockburn_(1772-1853),_by_John_James_Halls.jpg800px-Major-General_Robert_Ross.jpg

... after the Americans sacked Toronto.

Incidentally a different Scottish admiral also commanded the Royal Navy fleet which bombarded Fort McHenry at the Battle of Baltimore in 1814 that inspired the anthem ("... the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air...").

Edited by HibeeJibee

Tournament football is mental   it is great to see top-class players, but not when they turn it on against your own team.  I am getting flashbacks to Pirlo running the show against our lot, in Euro 2012.  Having to sit through that performance was both a joy and a chore.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Some of the issue is fans. So many just demand short term success with no care for anything beyond.

Some of the fans of my club don't want the new youth academy and would rather that cash be funneled to the first team (even though it's a model that has seen us not play in the top flight since 2012). Falkirk punted their entirely to funnel cash to the first team (then got relegated right away).

The SFA has created that situation by choosing to funnel the lion's share of funding into 'elite' pathways, which leaves the majority of SPFL clubs on the outside looking in. So why should they spend resources they don't have without meaningful support to create a Scotland international? 

That the elite pathway appears to be a dead end brings a certain amount of schadenfreude, given the trashing of the club game by Gordon Smith et. al. in pursuit of a less important prize.

12 minutes ago, Red Kite said:

Tournament football is mental   it is great to see top-class players, but not when they turn it on against your own team.  I am getting flashbacks to Pirlo running the show against our lot, in Euro 2012.  Having to sit through that performance was both a joy and a chore.

I always enjoyed it around that time when the English journalists would try to fool themselves into believing the likes of Matthew Upson and Scotty Parker were world class. 

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I agree with pretty much everything you say.

Just look at the turn over of managers at Scottish clubs, which is mostly social media/fan driven.  It's ridiculous.  

Really? Can you give examples of these promising managers, who were cruelly hounded out of a SPFL job by the big, bad fans?

Because I look at the list of sacked managers and see a pile of turds and terrible appointments in the first place (case in point: Hibs). 

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952jb3hscug360vk74dgt

It's about an incident almost 40yrs later during their war of 1812 with the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland...

... noteworthily during which regiments including Royal Scots Fusiliers, commanded by a Scottish admiral and an Irishman, burnt down Washington the White House and Capitol...

1920px-The_President's_House_by_George_Munger,_1814-1815_-_Crop.jpg
615px-US_Capitol_1814c.jpg
Rear-Admiral_George_Cockburn_(1772-1853),_by_John_James_Halls.jpg800px-Major-General_Robert_Ross.jpg

... after the Americans sacked Toronto.

Incidentally a different Scottish admiral also commanded the Royal Navy fleet which bombarded Fort McHenry at the Battle of Baltimore in 1814 that inspired the anthem ("... the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air...").in

The guy who wrote the anthem had a bridge named after him, recently demolished by a ship called Dali, revenge of Imperial Surrealists, continuity faction.. 

6 hours ago, Crùbag said:

B'fheàrr leam Òran na Cloiche ach bidh na faclan car doirbh dhan a'mhòr chuid.

🤣😂

"'S i u ro bha ho ro hilli um bo ha
Hilli um bo ruaig thu i hilli um bo ha
'S i u ro bha ho ro hilli um bo ha"....

Uill, 's dòcha!😀

Ach, tha mi a dol leat, chaneil mi cho cinnteach a tha an seist an "éist-bhéist" air ge ta! 

4 hours ago, Gaz said:

Lambert was an excellent midfielder and had the balls to go somewhere else to get better, unlike someone like Paul McStay happy to stay at the same level at the club he supported scudding diddly teams every week.

McStay stayed at the club he supported because he supported them. Celtic - at that time - were a diddy team. They scudded nobody. Ever. 

In 94-95, when McStay was turning 30, Celtic were the lowest scoring team in the Premier Division - he was playing with utter turnips at Celtic. Hell, he played alongside Peter Grant his entire career.

It wasn't remotely similar to modern football (and the world was a very different place in 1992). And it wasn't like Brown or McGregor, who were happy to scud teams every week. Although he was a far far far superior player to both (and absolutely should have left Celtic).