Germany v Scotland

3 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Long term after the tournament he should probably be getting phased out for players who do a similar job but at a higher level like Ferguson for instance as I think he is the natural successor

Ferguson for Bologna plays about as far away in style to McGregor for Scotland as you could get. 

Fact is Germany were by far the better team, they controlled the game from the start and never let a Scottish player settle throughout the game, yes we were poor but the Germans made us look like schoolboys.

On to Switzerland

16 minutes ago, allyo said:

Horrible empty feeling this morning. Hate the way that football affects me. I know it's just a game. But that was horrible last night, just nothing to be positive about. Felt like this after the Thistle play-off final. Shell-shocked.

Fair play to everyone who goes along every time feeling positive and optimistic and happy. Really wish I could be like that; that's what it should be all about.

I think you have to be that way as the alternative is wasting your day down in the dumps. If you can't do that then I'm sympathetic, but if you can then do it. I think we see that play out on the forums and with fans in general. If you think you feel bad then imagine how the players and coaching staff felt waking up and then imagine the atmosphere at breakfast. 😅

Edited by 2426255

Definitely a sore one last night, there was always a chance of a humping if Germany were on it, but I didn't expect Scotland to he so far off it. 

After winning the first 5 qualifiers, that's now just a win over Gibraltar in the next 10 games. Personally I think some of the choices of friendly opponents have been poor. The feelgood factor and confidence were destroyed imo with the run of defeats against England, Spain and France and the limitations of the squad, particularly in defence, were laid bare. 

1 hour ago, MarkoRaj said:

No it wasn't, it was because they pressed our backline 

There was no one to pass to when the press came on so they hoofed away 

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

If only we could channel repeated media -driven national delusion into competent football performances then we'd be fine.

If, and it's a big if, last night's horsing directs some attention to why Scotland's football authorities and leading clubs cannot or more likely will not develop native football players then it might just have been worth it.

Robertson epl

Mcginn epl

Tierney, la liga

Adams epl

Mctominay epl

Christie epl

Gunn championship 

Porteous championship 

8 of the starting line up playing at a higher level than what scotlands leading clubs would offer on a weekly basis

Nevemind the subs scotland had that also play at a higher level than the SPFL

3 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Robertson epl

Mcginn epl

Tierney, la liga

Adams epl

Mctominay epl

Christie epl

Gunn championship 

Porteous championship 

8 of the starting line up playing at a higher level than what scotlands leading clubs would offer on a weekly basis

Nevemind the subs scotland had that also play at a higher level than the SPFL

The English Championship is the most overrated league going. It’s shite. Better than the Scottish Prem? Maybe but not much in it. It is much closer to Scottish Prem standard than Big 5 league standard.

6 hours ago, SlayerX said:

The matches against the Netherlands, England and France were deceptive.

I watched all three recently. Yes, we received three poundings on paper, but the results didn't reflect the general play.

For a start, in those three games we had a total of 23 shots. The result against the Dutch was incredible. Even van der Vaart said we should've won 4-0.

We matched France in possession and in shots. And the England game was more even than the scoreline suggests.

In all three games we really did play some nice, possession based football.

I would have to watch the Germany match over again, but it looked like we were playing 5-4-1 and our masterplan was to park the bus and escape with a point.

Well, I hope Steve Clarke realises now that against teams with world class players who can open up low blocks, those tactics are not going to work.

And dropping the only midfielder in the squad who always offers for the ball (Gilmour) was a mistake.

I just hope the players pride is hurt to the extent that they take their frustration out on the Swiss and Hungary.

We need to get back to how we played in the qualifying: Dynamic, on the front foot and fearless.

Last night was not a true reflection on the Scotland national team.

Hopefully we can redeem ourselves against the Swiss and Hungary.

Delusional nonsense from Desmond I'm afraid. Last night was very much a true reflection ....I asked how bad could it get and even i was shocked by the answer. 

2 minutes ago, Binos said:

They had 5

Well so did we, now I think of it as Adams didn't get up too much beyond the half way line. So it was balanced in there.

13 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Definitely a sore one last night, there was always a chance of a humping if Germany were on it, but I didn't expect Scotland to he so far off it. 

After winning the first 5 qualifiers, that's now just a win over Gibraltar in the next 10 games. Personally I think some of the choices of friendly opponents have been poor. The feelgood factor and confidence were destroyed imo with the run of defeats against England, Spain and France and the limitations of the squad, particularly in defence, were laid bare. 

I agree. I think we got a bit carried away with the whole "pot 1" thing.

Easy with hindsight I suppose.

Depressingly similar to the morning after the Czech game. Maybe even worse with the occasion etc. Months of excitement and build up only for us to embarrass ourselves in front of the world and look like nervous wee boys on the big stage. Mortifying stuff 

Edited by Fratelli

5 minutes ago, lesheep said:

The English Championship is the most overrated league going. It’s shite. Better than the Scottish Prem? Maybe but not much in it. It is much closer to Scottish Prem standard than Big 5 league standard.

I wonder if the EPL is also over-rated. I was fooled into thinking that Scotland would be competitive because our top players are there. But they looked completely out of their depth.

Maybe England will get a shock too. (I've found my positive!)

53 minutes ago, SH Panda said:

Isn't really tho, England losing to Iceland is objectively far worse.

I don't doubt some Scottish 'fans' enjoyed it, but for the majority disappointing result and we move on.

Much better to be here and get beaten, than not be here at all.

So yeah, as I said, one of the worst results in Euros history.

We're a football country of 5 million people. 'Just happy to be there' is an absolutely pathetic attitude.

54 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

I don't want to come across like I'm hating on McGregor because he absolutely has a place in this team/squad.

His energy levels are remarkable and he's a very good facilitator for better players in the team like the job he does for Celtic. He just didn't do the basics right (and he wasn't alone in that regard) which was reminiscent of his early Scotland performances.

Long term after the tournament he should probably be getting phased out for players who do a similar job but at a higher level like Ferguson for instance as I think he is the natural successor

To properly kick on and improve, McGregor probably should have moved around 3/4 years ago when it became apparent there was zero challenge to Celtic domestically.

Unfortunately for him there were never any offers so he’s stagnated.

There’s no doubt he’s been a good servant for Scotland though and is also a very good player for Celtic domestically.

The worst part for me was how utterly predictable it was. 

Sitting in the pub before the game me and my mates were chatting about what we were concerned about - and top of the list was Wirtz just being allowed to waltz uncontested through the middle and score from the edge of the box. To be proven so comprehensively correct after 20 minutes was a sickener. 

We have conceded so many goals in exactly the same way and its 1) so predictable and 2) so frustrating that Clarke seemingly refuses to do anything about it. 

Edited by Uncle Psychosis

I love Clarke but he got that horrifically wrong last night. Playing McTominay in a double pivot and dropping Gilmour was baffling. I actually felt sorry for Ralston last night, he clearly puts the effort in but he should be a million miles away from playing at this level. Nobody says it but thought McGinn was a disgrace last night and has been horrific for his last half dozen games in a Scotland shirt.

Think we might need to completely change the system and go to a back 4 against the Swiss.

Most deflated I’ve ever been leaving a game last night. Still gutted. Only positive is that is by far the best ground I’ve ever watched a game in.

Edited by QoS99

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ferguson for Bologna plays about as far away in style to McGregor for Scotland as you could get. 

Perhaps but these things don't automatically translate to international level. Sometimes a player needs to play in a different area that suits the team better

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Spot on. It’s worrying that Clarke has looked at the squad and picked Christie over Gilmour. It was clear as day from literally the first minute of the game that Germany were having far too much joy passing round our midfield, which is not to be unexpected given the quality of their players, but at least try something to disrupt them. Kroos was standing like a quarterback pinging balls out wide with not a Scotland jersey near him. 

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I never said Christie isn’t a talented footballer nor am I remotely blaming him for the result. I am having a pop at Clarke for exluding the one player in our team who would’ve given us a chance at holding onto possession for more than 3 seconds. That can most certainly impact the goals against column. 

For me he starts over Ryan Christie, not because Christie is bad, because it makes us better against this particular opponent. It wasn’t the only poor decision from Clarke FWIW but for me it was the glaringly fucking obvious one.

Sorry but we'll never agree on this. 

On the first quoted post Gilmour would've been pressing Kroos? Whit? And Gilmour would've stopped us passed around in midfield? People are just making stuff up. 

I don't even think in that game last night that the choice was between Christie and Gilmour, it was probably between McGregor and Gilmour with the former preferred due to his leadership/organisational/apparent defensive skills. 

Pre Match that team looked fine, Che Adams was the obvious pick upfront, McTominay and McGinn are always going to be picked if fit. You're then left with 3 players fighting for two spots and I'd say that logically, Christie made the most sense. He's the best presser we have and the hope for me would've been that he could've disrupted Kronos from playing deep. That evidently didn't happen but the logic behind the selection is sound. You then have McGregor and Gilmour, and as noted previously I think McGregor is perceived to have a better defensive brain. 

And I think it's fucking daft we're talking about one player in midfield as being this colossus mistake when we still would've played Ralston at right back, Porteous at centre back and Angus Gunn still would've had poppadom hands. Last night we needed the players to play at the peak of there powers, and for some mentioned to play even above that, evidently didn't happen and with the form some of them are coming into the tournament, not surprising. We also could've done with Germany playing shite, and sadly that didn't happen.