Porteous

22 hours ago, gannonball said:

The 1% almost exclusively seems to be Hearts fans with suggestions of Clark being given the nod for the next game, Clarke to be shot for not including Gordon and furore for not starting the wee waddler that is Shankland.

To be fair, it's not all Hearts fans, but the ones who do comment in this way are pretty brainless.

See below for the minterrific evidence 😂

1 hour ago, Galajambo said:

Steady enough keeper for us, not good enough for international football though, at least I'm able to recognise when our players aren't up to the international job, unlike Hibs fans, I mean Porteous is playing for a shite Watford side in England's second tier, haud me back! 

53 minutes ago, PJ70 said:

Hearts fan who watched portaloo go out to cripple our players in every derby.  

Go and watch the Cup semi-final and get back to us once you're ready to admit the truth. He was evil that day. OUr players hadn't recovered by the final when we had 6 cripples on the pitch.

18 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Really harsh punishment to probably end his tournament given it was just poorly executed and was without malice. It was a mistake essentially.

It could have ended Gundogans tournament so 2 games is probably fair. Harsh, but fair. 2 games is probably the best he could have got.

Were these 2 paragraphs written by the same person?

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Were these 2 paragraphs written by the same person?

AI generated. I asked for something around the fairness of Ryan Porteous punishment and this is what it spat out.

Edited by 2426255

I think the occasion was too much for Porteous that he reverted to type.

He'd been able to keep a lid on it so far in his Scotland career but when the pressure suddenly turned up tenfold, he turns to thuggery.

When the team needed him, as we are being battered from pillar to post, he gets himself sent off.

The challenge he puts in was like a Sunday park footballer who doesn't know how to tackle properly.

That's why people were so nervous about putting him in against Ukraine in Poland, but he'd done reasonably well to control himself until he finally cracked on the biggest stage of all his caps.

I'm afraid he can't be trusted.

However, I would give him an opportunity to redeem himself if he recognises and accepts that he threw his teammates under the bus.

His Euros are over but I don't think his international career necessarily should be, although Clarke might be wary of him if he stays on as Scotland head coach.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

12 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

He'd been able to keep a lid on it so far in his Scotland career but when the pressure suddenly turned up tenfold, he turns to thuggery.

When the team needed him, as we are being battered from pillar to post, he gets himself sent off.

That's why people were so nervous about putting him in against Ukraine in Poland, but he'd done reasonably well to control himself until he finally cracked on the biggest stage of all his caps.

That's a step too far for me. Decent player, wasn't bad on the night up until then. He can be rash, no doubt about that and he was in this instance. I didn't realise he was so disliked in Scotland.

Edited by 2426255

Czech Republic number 4 took over Porteous’s position as the biggest numpty of the tournament so far. Scored an own goal to equalise for Portugal and then massively sold the jerseys for their winner.

2 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

The challenge he puts in was like a Sunday park footballer who doesn't know how to tackle properly.

However, I would give him an opportunity to redeem himself if he recognises and accepts that he threw his teammates under the bus.

His Euros are over but I don't think his international career necessarily should be, although Clarke might be wary of him if he stays on as Scotland head coach.

I'm not sure I totally agree with this but I can see where you are coming from. What I would say though, is that I'm not sure he knew too much about the tackle or gave it any thought at all. I think he simply reacted. He was under pressure, saw the ball to be won and just reacted. I was a Goalkeeper when I played, and was lucky enough to play at a decent amateur level and have been in similar situations many a time, where the ball had been rattled around the 6 yard box like that and you're just doing what you can to stop the shot and ultimate clearing the ball if it breaks. You don't have time to think, especially when you are at that level, on that occasion playing against a team as quick as the Germans. 

I have to be honest and say that initially, I wasn't sure Porteous was good enough to play for Scotland, but after his performances he prove me wrong and I actually think he is one of our best Defenders. Yes, he has made a mistake on this occasion but turning it into the same foray as the English did with Beckham, doesn't sit comfortably with me. The whole "the man is a disgrace and should never play for Scotland again" line is trotted all over social media and here, and I find it uncalled for. The lad reacted and made a mistake, a mistake that I'm sure he regretted straight away. He has shown to be a good player at International level and in a position that we are struggling in quality on, can we really afford to banish someone for it?? I don't think we are, and I don't think that we should either.

Just my 2 pence worth. 

2 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Czech Republic number 4 took over Porteous’s position as the biggest numpty of the tournament so far. Scored an own goal to equalise for Portugal and then massively sold the jerseys for their winner.

The own goal was the keepers fault. The defender was blameless. 

The 2nd goal took a deflection before it reached him and it then wriggled through his legs. He was really unlucky with it. Plus the keeper slipped too which prevented him getting there in time. 

53 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

I'm not sure I totally agree with this but I can see where you are coming from. What I would say though, is that I'm not sure he knew too much about the tackle or gave it any thought at all. I think he simply reacted. He was under pressure, saw the ball to be won and just reacted. I was a Goalkeeper when I played, and was lucky enough to play at a decent amateur level and have been in similar situations many a time, where the ball had been rattled around the 6 yard box like that and you're just doing what you can to stop the shot and ultimate clearing the ball if it breaks. You don't have time to think, especially when you are at that level, on that occasion playing against a team as quick as the Germans. 

I have to be honest and say that initially, I wasn't sure Porteous was good enough to play for Scotland, but after his performances he prove me wrong and I actually think he is one of our best Defenders. Yes, he has made a mistake on this occasion but turning it into the same foray as the English did with Beckham, doesn't sit comfortably with me. The whole "the man is a disgrace and should never play for Scotland again" line is trotted all over social media and here, and I find it uncalled for. The lad reacted and made a mistake, a mistake that I'm sure he regretted straight away. He has shown to be a good player at International level and in a position that we are struggling in quality on, can we really afford to banish someone for it?? I don't think we are, and I don't think that we should either.

Just my 2 pence worth. 

I think this is spot on. I was sat in front of my pc (only way I could watch the game) on Saturday morning. I had work to do but thought I'd watch the first half hour and see how we went. I honestly decided after two minutes, when I saw how quick the Germans were, when I saw how they moved, that we were in for a tough night. I went to work five minutes in. Porteous had already stepped in to a couple of challenges and come out with the ball. I think the whole team was panicked, even by that stage. The challenge, I feel, was just a culmination of this, what was he really meant to do here?

17 hours ago, Leith Green said:

To be fair, it's not all Hearts fans, but the ones who do comment in this way are pretty brainless.

See below for the minterrific evidence 😂

Apologies if I've hurt your little feelings because I absolutely do not rate one of your own, and feel he's nothing but a dirty coward, I take that from club level, I was really hoping and praying that he wouldn't translate it to international level, but he has, he will never change, he goes into challenges like that all the time (in fact a lot worse than that). 

Just because an opinion differs from yours, doesn't make someone brainless, let's hope I don't hurt your feelings any further on the matter petal. 

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

Just my 2 pence worth. 

The difference is that amateur players are just that, reckless, not trained properly etc

Porteous had absolutely no need to jump in like he did, gundogan hadnt even hit the shot yet so its not like it was do or die time, porteous literally got there first but because of his complete and utter recklessness and stupidity he made it worse, and worse still imo he knew what he was doing because the minute he done it he pretended he was injured to try con the ref, forgetting VAR sees everything now

It was a bad tackle in a moment of panic well worthy of a red. However, almost every player is guilty of the same at some point in their career.

I think any chat of him not being up to Scotland's standard is massive hyperbole and this kind of chat is only happening because of the occasion, where we were all absolutely buzzing going into a major tournament only to be let down.

It's hilarious and concerning that people have that kind of opinion. "The boy let us down, Solt the jerseys, should be left in Germany". That's the kind of rubbish you'd read on follow follow. 

Just now, 2426255 said:

It's hilarious and concerning that people have that kind of opinion. "The boy let us down, Solt the jerseys, should be left in Germany". That's the kind of rubbish you'd read on follow follow. 

The old let's make it an us against Sevco scenario. 

I've praised Porteous in previous Scotland game, getting from Hibs/Scottish fitba seemed to be working for him but it seems that he's still prone to moments of rashness.