Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 vs Switzerland 🇨🇭

Jives Miguel

4 minutes ago, adopted beath said:

Billy Gilmour doesn’t start against Germany and gets subbed tonight but Ralston plays both games.That is why we will always be crap and Scottish managers are not fit for purpose.Robertson in interview after the game bigging up Ralston must think we are all just clueless punters.

We have two upper Premier League standard left backs. Despite playing for Celtic, Ralston is a midtable Premiership right back at best imo. The squad in horrificly unbalanced due to lack of depth. Short of persuading a Livramento who doesn't appear to be the least bit interested, him and McCrorie are the best we have.

10 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Now you understand the unfulfilled frustration of The Home Guard.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for The Home Guard now. 

Just now, SirJimmyofNic said:

Speaking of which, he was fairly anonymous tonight

I agree he is almost wasted on the left. I'd bin off McGregor I don't think he's been great at all. 

1 minute ago, JS_FFC said:

Ralston made a huge error of course but Robertson correctly identified that he was magnificent apart from that. I’d be tempted to play a back four on Sunday though given KT’s injury.

I hope that's sarcasm. He was absolute torture and the Swiss were basically walking by him. Robertson, of course, will have to defend him, even if everyone could see that he was dreadful. He can't stand there and slag him off. 

I don't think I've ever watched a good game featuring Switzerland and this one was no different. We were better, but should've made changes sooner and defensively we looked panicked at times. 

One other note - McTominay is an aerial threats, get him off set pieces and in the box. 

Referee has been good tonight I think. Not giving soft fouls, telling players to get up, etc.

I don't watch much Premiership football so that's maybe why, but I've never drunk the Callum MacGregor Kool-Aid. He might look great for Celtic as they swat aside the likes of Dundee, Ross County and whatever bunch of Gomers the current Ibrox side employ, but in Europe and for Scotland he just isn't quick enough in both a physical and mental sense. Gives it away too often, gets caught out by men nicking it off his toes, too slow to play the ball. I'd have had Christie on for him after about an hour. Clarke is so risk averse though that he doesn't like making changes, which of course means our starting XI will be knackered for the next game (and any beyond).

Anyway, I don't know why the celebrations were so strong after that missed opportunity. I can't see us beating Hungary, who are better than us and about the same level as Switzerland. Not buying that they are already out either - teams have went through with 3 points in this format before and their goal difference isn't unsurmountable, especially if we give up the chances we did tonight.

Oh and the TV coverage was shite. No actual analysis (need a Fabregas or a Thomas Frank for that), plus it was the B Team with Gaby Logan hosting rather than Lineker, and then we had more England chat than was needed with a utterly insipid puff piece interview with Southgate. Pish.

8 minutes ago, adopted beath said:

Billy Gilmour doesn’t start against Germany and gets subbed tonight but Ralston plays both games.That is why we will always be crap and Scottish managers are not fit for purpose.Robertson in interview after the game bigging up Ralston must think we are all just clueless punters.

Ralston is there out of necessity. We can't magic up a fit right back that better than him.

Edited by sparky88

8 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

We are alive and kicking going into the last game. It’s very unlikely it will be a draw in that game as Hungary HAVE to win as well, would imagine both teams end up throwing everything at the last ten minutes if it’s a draw and there will be a winner.

It blows my mind that anyone is questioning Adams performance tonight. Thought his work rate was astonishing and he did a lot of great work for the team. Ralston a very obvious weak link, I said pre tournament I’d have tried a few different options out there. Also thought McKenna looked better when he came on than Hanley or Hendry. Wouldn’t be opposed to Christie in for McGinn next game 

Adams. 90 minites. With 1 Shot on Target. 9 passes. 1 Tackle. 3 fouls commited and 2 fouls won.

Shankland. 4 minutes. 3 passes.

Over the 90 minutes thats a poor performance from Adams.

22 minutes ago, stressball said:

Much, much better performance.

Shame that if not for a Hanley / Ralston brain-fart we might have won that.

Hanley? It was 100% Ralston's fault. Did laugh when Moyes had a go at Hanley as well. It's ok for you Sellic boys to criticise your own players if they play shite :lol:

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

What do you expect Robertson to say? "Aye we don't know why the gaffer starts him either, he's shite"?

Ralston was the only player he’s named,so he clearly knows how the fans feel.If he is the required standard we are done.

Much better performance. Ralston mistake aside was so poor defensively. He at least did offer something in attack but not enough to make up for his to be a defensive liability.  

we need to fix the press as it is going to cost us. 

I like Steve Clarke, but he reminds me of a taxi driver who you just get absolutely zero change out of and then looks at you like he wants to batter you when you ask if he takes card.

7 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Exactly, but the happy clappers are jumping with joy over a draw. Our loser mentality will always come back to bite us, every fucking time

Scotland struggle a bit with winning games at tournaments. It’s our poor football skills, rather than any loser mentality, that prevents us winning games.

I’m not a fan of draws but they are better than defeats.

beyond the mistake, which wouldn't have resulted in a goal 8/10, Ralston was perfectly fine. He is no Hickey but he is no different to Shankland as a striking option or McKenna as a centre half option. Folks banging on about him seem to be falling into the nonsensical scapegoat approach.