Name the trialist

It's almost the time of the year again when squads are thin, need replenished, early desperation kicks in and a plethora of trialists, many who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo and are never seen again, pitch up at training sessions and pre-season friendlies up and down Scotland. 

Floated the idea of creating a thread last summer for people to post photos and with the abundance of knowledge on this forum for them to be named/shamed/raved about.

Didn't happen last season but here it is, use as you see fit.

5 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Who was the trialist playing at right back for Scotland in the Euros? Looked vaguely familiar. 

Got absolutely rinsed both games. Looked like a trialist right enough that you'd want pulled at half-time and sent on his way to your lower league neighbour

15 minutes ago, leomessi1984 said:

Open training at Kelty today. Won't make it myself but we usually get a few snaps from Kayem to set the investigation going 😀

Would've nipped down but otherwise engaged today as well , hopefully few in to get us guessing 

8 hours ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Zak Delaney played as a Trialist for Morton at the weekend. Seemed to do ok from reports, but was wondering what Arbroath fans had to say about him?

I think the thought of Zak Delaney was actually better than what we saw on the park - however - our injury situation was absolutely ridiculous and he was someone that fell to the curse.

I remember us making 3 signings on a Friday night, one of which was Delaney, and we had Ayr at home on the Saturday. For the first time in ages we were able to field a team with 4/5 subbies (had like 24/25 signed at this point) - I thought it was maybe the beginning of some better luck…

Zak Delaney lasted 7 minutes on his debut before having to go off and then went on to miss the next 2 months too - our captain ToB who had just come back into the team also then got subbed off after half an hour and our other new signing that week Gordon Walker from Cork got stretchered off a minute after the second half restarted. We were back in an injury crisis 46 whole minutes after the first time we’d been out of one in months

The rest of Delaneys time and the little amount of games he did play was also in an injury stricken patchwork side who had little to no hope of staying up and had kind of just chucked it so it’s hard to judge him too much on his time here.

I always rated him at Inverness, they had been our bogey team over the years and he had played in a back 4 that we really struggled against. He’s got good physical attributes for a defender and a decent amount of experience in the Championship now. I think he’d be a solid and safe enough signing for any Championship team to be quite honest with you. 

Posted (edited)
On 01/07/2024 at 08:48, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Zak Delaney played as a Trialist for Morton at the weekend. Seemed to do ok from reports, but was wondering what Arbroath fans had to say about him?

He was so good for The Caley that when he left Big Dunc signed six centre backs to replace him.

Edited by Buzz Killington

1 hour ago, Watson Nimrod said:

Any confirmation that this is Grady McGrath ex Brechin? Looks like him from the recent photos online but I can’t be sure as it’s not the best photo ….IMG_3483.thumb.jpeg.08504232c58b9858a943b27274fa39a0.jpeg

It is Grady

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Edzellcityfan said:

100%

What's his ceiling at this moment in time do you think? Got enough to excel in L1?

Had a stellar season in the Highland League and sure that sparked interest from a few clubs. Did look good against us last year it must be said.

Edited by CoveRangers1922