Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇭🇺 Hungary

Scary Bear

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

Gilmour had one or two nice forward passes but basically just one touch passed the ball to centre backs all night, he was probably the worst for it in the team.  

I watched him and he was looking for the positive pass but either there wasn't one or was scared to try it for fear of failure.

If you watch other nations the guy in possession almost always has passing options because teammates are constantly moving but too many times our players are static, seemingly unsure how to play the game.

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Steve Clarke trying to resurrect the Falklands War last night.

I'll be both frank and honest here, that thought crossed my mind too.

5 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Sent homewards to think again...

I think through the many posts in the past 12 hours or so most points have been covered, but I will still stick my own thoughts in (mainly as nobody in this godforsaken office gives a f**k).

Firstly the managerial dilemma, who in their right mind is going to go for that job if SC does resign? People mentioning the likes of Moyes, is laughable. It is a poisoned chalice. Taking that job has more chance of being a retirement gig than anything else.

The squad? It isn't good enough, players like McGregor just can't cut it at that level. Relying on the likes of Shankland from the bench shows where we are, just don't have the quality. Robertson/McGinn often seem to struggle to replicate club form. As always a few players who have done okay, but nothing more. 

Where do we go from here? Well f**k all has changed in the past few decades, and I very much doubt we are going to see much change in the coming years. Whilst this squad is probably our best in recent years, it is still filled with dross, and unfortunately our better players aren't at a level where they can change games on their own. 

Look at the players McGinn, McTominay and Robertson play with at club level, they aren't the best players at their club but at Scotland they are expected to be.

McGregor is an honest player who probably knew the SPFL was as high as he could go. Even at club level he isn't the main productive attacking player from the highlights I see.

Every other nation here have decent, intelligent footballers where are ours. Why aren't we producing any.

All 3 Scotland performances have been almost embarrassing to watch. If it was any other nation we would be questioning how they qualified.

Do you know what sitting here having a coffee, we all want the same thing. To be proud watching our country playing football, we know we ain't ever going to win anything but to be able to sit after a game and rave about this guys performance and how entertaining and proud they made us feel would be nice rather than sitting here trying to find any posistives to take from all this.

I love this game but being a Scot makes it very difficult.

I'm bowing out from my wee sojourn away from my home in the South of Scotland Forum, where I can wax lyrically about all things football safe I'm the knowledge that;

a) naebdy gies a flying feck 

b) naebdy even reads it.

Enjoy the rest of the Euros, I will, now that I can stop swearing at the TV.

12 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Sent homewards to think again...

I think through the many posts in the past 12 hours or so most points have been covered, but I will still stick my own thoughts in (mainly as nobody in this godforsaken office gives a f**k).

Firstly the managerial dilemma, who in their right mind is going to go for that job if SC does resign? People mentioning the likes of Moyes, is laughable. It is a poisoned chalice. Taking that job has more chance of being a retirement gig than anything else.

The squad? It isn't good enough, players like McGregor just can't cut it at that level. Relying on the likes of Shankland from the bench shows where we are, just don't have the quality. Robertson/McGinn often seem to struggle to replicate club form. As always a few players who have done okay, but nothing more. 

Where do we go from here? Well f**k all has changed in the past few decades, and I very much doubt we are going to see much change in the coming years. Whilst this squad is probably our best in recent years, it is still filled with dross, and unfortunately our better players aren't at a level where they can change games on their own. 

Multiple things can be true at the same time though:

1) The depth of talent is indeed lacking in key positions: when chucking on dung like Shankland and Morgan to turn a game, then the game's a bogey. Injuries haven't helped the manager's hand, with the right hand side being shut down in a similar way to England's left. 

2) The team could still play more effectively with the personnel available. It's not about having individual superstars to turn a game. Austria don't have that and yet showed more collective ambition and real organisation in their two group games so far - not just chucking players behind the ball, but going forward too - than any Scotland team at an international tournament in the past 30 years. Austria were a gang before Rangnick arrived and have every bit as flaky a qualification record and performance level in modern times as Scotland. 

It's possible that Scotland are near a ceiling of performance for their current squad, but that's made certain by the limitations of tactics and coaching too. 

1 hour ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

There's a fair few of us here already. All welcome.

It’s good that you have the passion to head to the airport. Give them a boo for me. 

2 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Remind what was 'Project Brave', feckin title says it all about Scottish feckin mentality. Its a game if football not a feckin battle in the 12th ir 13th century.

Have you seen how many Scottish boys actually played for the two B teams, (Hearts do play local youngsters), not a lot.

The idea that our future superstars will flourish and develop into international footbalkers playing joiners and teachers and painter&decorators is laughable.

Nobody knows...

... it doesn't actually exist in writing, unlike Scotland United: 2020 Vision it was sprung to usurp:

SFA_SP2011-2015 (scottishfa.co.uk)
scotland-united-ii.pdf (scottishjuniorfa.com)

3 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

All the comments berating Clarke; do you seriously think a change of coach will miraculously improve the quality of the players we are producing.

How is this any different to the Hungary squad being full of dung as well?

There are worse squads than Scotland’s in this tournament.

1 hour ago, For Your Pies Only said:

Northern Ireland, Wales (twice!), Iceland, Hungary and Slovakia have all qualified from the group stage across the last 2 Euros and Finland were unlucky to lose out on goal difference in 2020. All of those teams had players, at best, who were on a level with this Scotland squad or much worse. None of them have superior youth development setups to our own, with the possible exception of Iceland. None of them have strong domestic leagues. None of them had squads full of technically gifted players or were fundamentally better on the ball than the current Scotland squad.

But they all had a go. They played tough, quick, positive football and had coaching teams that understood you could be well organised and tight and the back without nullifying your attacking options completely. All of them understood that winning at least one game, and playing a system to achieve that, rather than a system that would avoid defeat, was essential to qualifying. They tried to get the best out of the limited players they had, and it worked. The polar opposite to Clarke and the current coaching team basically, who have turned this squad into less than the sum of their parts over two Euros tournaments now.

I'm all for improving youth development and grass roots infrastructure, but we could still be doing far better with the players we have.

That's it in a nutshell .If we had a more attack minded coach theres no reason why we shouldn't have  reached the group stages like 'lesser' nations before us.

I'm finding Clarkes sour pus increasingly annoying and his quip at the ref no matter how justified defected from the real reason we lost...his tactics!

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

How is this any different to the Hungary squad being full of dung as well?

There are worse squads than Scotland’s in this tournament.

Georgia for one.

However, I agree that the lack of decent Scottish players is the main problem.

Out with a bit of a whimper really. I was hoping for a much more aggressive performance heading into this one but it never really seemed to materialise.

I think the squad will look back on this result particularly with huge regret.

10 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

That's quite a statement after those three performances.

You think the Georgia squad we finished comfortably ahead of in qualifying is better than ours? What about Albania?