Scotland starting XI the future.

They’ll probably develop into the usual english championship level fodder, but it’ll be interesting to see how the likes of Doak, Miller, Watson, Dembele, Rory Wilson and Callan McKenna progress over the next few years.

These threads are always a good laugh when they get bumped in future. There’s been a few kicking about for years.

One recurring theme is that no one has any idea what the Scotland team will look like in five years never mind beyond. 
There will be guys in it that no one has heard of now. Equally players you think would be certainties to be in it won’t even be in the squad.

Looked at one point about a decade ago that we’d have a lethal attacking force of Jack Harper, Ryan Gauld and Islam Feruz leading us to glories in the 2020’s… 

Just now, Lex said:

These threads are always a good laugh when they get bumped in future. There’s been a few kicking about for years.

One recurring theme is that no one has any idea what the Scotland team will look like in five years never mind beyond. 
There will be guys in it that no one has heard of now. Equally players you think would be certainties to be in it won’t even be in the squad.

Looked at one point about a decade ago that we’d have a lethal attacking force of Jack Harper, Ryan Gauld and Islam Feruz leading us to glories in the 2020’s… 

If Steve Clarke's still in charge I reckon I can predict our line up in 2029.

I'd give Robertson a go on the wing. f**k it, might be shit or he could be our Bale. Drop him back to left-back for the 70 or 80% of matches that Tierney misses.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'd give Robertson a go on the wing. f**k it, might be shit or he could be our Bale.

He started as a winger at Celtic, so it's not a bad shout.

He was actually compared to Bale by a fair few Hull fans.

Edited by Chripper

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

If it has been found out, then surely that means teams are focusing more resources on that area, which in theory makes it easier for us on the other side of the pitch?

Things were pretty good with a fit Tierney , Robertson , Hickey , Patterson 

1 minute ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Things were pretty good with a fit Tierney , Robertson , Hickey , Patterson 

Great point.

We had Tierney and Hickey out. These are two elite players.

6 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

If everyone was fit my starting XI for Poland would be

Gunn

Hickey

Hanley

McKenna

Tierney

Robertson

Gilmour 

McGregor

McTominay 

Ferguson

Dykes 

Gunn

Porteous-Hendry-Tierney

Hickey-Gilmour-Ferguson-Robertson

McGinn-McTominay-Doak

But with the caveat that in the (highly likely) event that KT isn’t available, then I’d bring CalMac back in to double pivot in a 4-2-3-1 with Ferguson playing just off McTominay. 

Edited by JS_FFC

How do we see Patterson in the future? Promising start to career but becalmed at Everton and horror show for Scotland last time

If he comes good there is option of Hickey and Gilmour double pivot

2 hours ago, true fan said:

How do we see Patterson in the future? Promising start to career but becalmed at Everton and horror show for Scotland last time

Hickey ahead of Patterson for me right now, Clive.

We need to be building our entire team around Gilmour. He's the cleverest player I've seen in a Scotland shirt in years. And we also need to be hoping that Doak is somehow the answer to our goalscoring problems.

We have never, ever, had a prolific striker at International level and we are always going to struggle as long as we rely on midfielders to score the majority of our goals.

Agree with the poster who said that if Tierney is fit (and I accept it's a big if) we could do a lot worse than play Robertson as a winger rather than a full-back.

25 minutes ago, Gaz said:

We need to be building our entire team around Gilmour. He's the cleverest player I've seen in a Scotland shirt in years. And we also need to be hoping that Doak is somehow the answer to our goalscoring problems.

We have never, ever, had a prolific striker at International level and we are always going to struggle as long as we rely on midfielders to score the majority of our goals.

Law , Dalgliesh , the McCoist Johnstone combination 

5 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Law , Dalgliesh , the McCoist Johnstone combination 

I'd actually forgotten all about Law, so I'll give you that.

Neither Dalglish nor McCoist were prolific at international level.

Is Robertson as a winger a light-bulb moment? If Tierney is fit, I've just always assumed Robertson is pushed as far up that wing as you can get him. Don't think he's is a particularly great defender but when fit, can bomb it up and down that line and make some create over-lapping runs. Against tougher opponents though, he's liable to get the run-around a little bit. Regardless, Tierney with Robertson in front of him, and both being fit, is a strong left side and that should be the aim if we're talking best-team-on-paper-2026 type stuff.

While we always suspected Gilmour would be great, Aaron Hickey was the best find of the last couple of years in my opinion and is a stick on for full back for the foreseeable if he can stay fit. Between TIerney and Hickey though, centre-half is a concern.

As others have stated, Gilmour is who we need to be building out team around. For the first 40 minutes on Sunday, he was the engine and was finding really great forward balls through the midfield. The lack of any attacking strategy dulled his efforts but there's no doubt he's the one. Started to hold onto the ball a little too much as the Hungarians started to crowd him out but that's because he was all the threat we had in the middle of the park. Still got loads to learn and may be a luxury in some games, but he needs to start and he needs more in front of him. 

McGinn, McTominay and McGregor all fighting it out for 1, maybe 2, spots. Been great servants but I think McGregor could be on the way out, while McGinn and McTominay have played beyond their abilities and it's unreasonable to expect that to continue. Unless they find another level, I'll be disappointed if all three continue to dominate our midfield in the next two years.

Up front?! Who knows. There's a number of players and options who all need a turn to see what they can do. Adams and Dykes have done their time, I don't buy the Shankland hype, and I actually liked what I could see from the limited time Conway and Morgan has in the last month. When he's fit, I am 100% for Doak and any other young talent being given a stage to perform and hopefully excite the Tartan Army. As an attacking force, we've been absolutely fucking miserable and I'm up for just letting some young lads loose and see what happens.

On the bench, I'm hoping to see Armstrong, McClean, Taylor, Ralston, etc all be replaced with some of the first team dropping to the bench or new players coming through. Those boys have all likely peaked. 

I'd be willing to give Clarke another go if he committed to some of the above.

Re Gauld, don't get the argument that he shouldn't be called up because of the league he plays in.

It's not worse than the Scottish Premiership or English Championship. Clarke has even called up a player from the Scottish Championship now.

At this point it just feels just being stubborn to 'prove a point' and stick it to fans to show that he (Clarke) knows better, similar to some of the shite we saw under Strachan.

Not saying Gauld is any sort of answer or would even be good for Scotland, but to not even give a chance is pish, especially when Clarke has experiments with players like Brophy and Burke.

There's a few others who fall in to this category of Clarke stubbornly not giving them a shot.

Edited by DA Baracus

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Doak is almost certainly not the answer to that problem. Not because he isn't a potential star in the making, but because he's predominantly a winger and definitely not an out-and-out striker.

4 hours ago, true fan said:

Patterson’s recent performances for us were on a par with Ralston’s.

Gunn

Hickey Porteous Mckenna Robertson

Gilmour

Mctominay Mcginn

Doak Conway Christie

Bench of Hanley, Mcgregor, Tierney, Ferguson, Dykes, Adams, Hendry, Patterson, Clark.

Get mcginn and mctominay back into central midfield and leave the wing play to wingers.

Tierney on the bench only because of his fitness issues, we can't have a system built round the possibility a player might be fit. 

There's a quality squad to be had provided everyone is fit. Need to hope someone learns how to be a striker.

If the mentality doesn't change then none of this matters.

We could suddenly have top players coming through but if they're sent out to play like snivelling shitebags and have their confidence stripped from them before a ball is kicked, nothing will change.